Sitka Blacktail - Kodiak AK

Snyd

WKR
5 of us got 15 deer, 1 goat and a Brown bear. I was the only one handgun hunting. 45 Colt Bisley Hunter, 2X Weaver, 355gr wfn 1200fps. Didn't even take a rifle with me. I climbed a mtn with my sheep hunting partner and he shot the goat at 282 yds. It took a nasty fall, tore up the cape bad. He didn't salvage it. We packed out the 90lbs of meat off the mtn in tough terrain getting down to the water after dark. Brown bear is a beautiful younger bear, about an 8+ footer. Not a 10ft like he was hoping for but he got one! Here are some pics of my deer. Kodiak is a beautiful place when the weather cooperates!

I snuk up on this 2 pt and got a raking shot at about 37yds. Kneeling, unsupported.

PB030009_zpsehtbin12.jpg

I was sitting on a steep hillside eating lunch when this guy walked out of the brush. 3x4 Only chance/shot I had was 110ish yds (my max max) kneeling, rested elbow on one knee. Hit him first shot low on the shoulder, got re-situated after a couple misses and lunged him.
PB040030_zpslfcrreoz.jpg

PB040027_zpsueafgcsw.jpg

This was the funnest stalk. Spotted a doe on the hillside looking downhill about 200yds out. A couple minutes later caught a glimpse of the bucks head but I was pinned by a doe and fawn just above me. Buck moved up by the doe, still pinned, waited until the doe and fawn moved on. Then the doe went up the hill with buck in tow over a little ridge. I closed the gap some, buck popped out on the ridge at 130yds and headed up and over. I had to beat feet up a steep hill, crawled over and saw them still moving through some rolling terrain. Did the bent over sneak/run then crawled over a rise expecting to see them but nothing. Stood up and begain walking around the side of a knob and the buck appeared 60yds out coming straight at me up over the little ridge. He stopped and watched my as I pulled the BisHunter from the WyoCombo Holster and I put one in his chest standing off hand. I later retrieved the boolit in the tail bone! 3x3

PB050044_zps4p5e5ffp.jpg

It's been a great year handgun hunting for me. Here's a quick video.

[video=youtube_share;2shs6S9Fiw4]https://youtu.be/2shs6S9Fiw4][/video]

Last edited:

Stid2677

WKR
Cool too see you back in the game after taking sheep season off. Congrats to you and your Bud.

Steve

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
Cool too see you back in the game after taking sheep season off. Congrats to you and your Bud.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Ya, no sheep hunt this year but getting a Bull with my 500 Linebaugh and 3 deer with the 45 Colt made up for it! Not to mention we got goat. 8.5 x 8 7/8. It felt good to pack a load of meat off the mtn! And to be alon on the bear hunt. Great season for me. That sheep hunt you went on sounded brutal/rewarding. Way to break in the new guy! :D

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Way to stay true to the hand gun. This is a hunt that's high on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RyanC

WKR
Thanks for sharing Snyd, what an awesome hunt!! I tagged along on a goat hunt a couple years ago on Kodiak and was able to deer hunt after my buddy took his goat. What a blast!! I can't wait to hunt Kodiak again.

RC

Ray

WKR
There's still time this year Ray, you got 30 days left.:)

Moving, house repairs, moving, out of shape....blah blah blah....

One of our friends just finished up their group father daughter hunt down there at a friends lodge/camp. All the girls took a few deer and the dads focused on their success. Its planned to become an annual Thanks Giving week event for them. I looked at my own daughter and she said no! too busy with college to take a week off. :(

wyo_gasman

Lil-Rokslider
Im going in November, I bought three tags before they increased the prices. Im going to stay on Afognak Island for a week.