Blacktail hunting help.

Hi fellas we are eastern guys who are wanting to attempt the N/A deer slam with a bow. I have a coues deer hunt coming up in January to try to take one of those with a bow I'll LOL for you on that one.. My question is locations far as which state would better suited to pursue a blacktail. California, Oregon, or Washington. Also would it be a spot and stalk hunt or would scouting areas and sitting a treestand be more successful? Trophy quality is any decent forked horn or 3 point for me. This isn't about horn size it's about the experience of hunting all these sub species and seeing the different lands they live on. Oh and would a blacktail require many points or are there quite of bit of general archery hunts for them? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey huntstrong, I dont have any info for you on Washington but can help out with some information on California. You can get a b tag over the counter here in norther California. B zone consists of 6 zones but your tag is good for all of them. Its also good for rifle season too. If your after a spot and stalk type hunt there are a few wilderness areas up here that you can pack into. There are guys who sit tree stands and are real successful doing that. I will probably do that myself this coming season. Archery season runs mid august until about the second weekend in september. I wont BS you, its brutally hot most of the time. It was easily over 100 opening weekend here this year and we were at about 7000 feet.

Another option is the late season Oregon archery hunt, I believe its an over the counter tag also. It seems like it would be a great hunt. If you've got any more questions I'll try to help out!

brn2hnt

WKR
I'll pretty much echo what Redding Archer said above. There's two main times to hunt blacktail, early when they're fuzzy and the rut. For the rut, I would look to Oregon general archery tags. For early I would look to CA wilderness areas.

OP
huntstrong2850
Thanks guys, I'll look more into California. California looking at google earth seems a bit more spot and stalk friendly than Oregon. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means. And having the tag good for rifle too would be nice just to try not to eat the tag.

Wilderness areas are a good bet, just be prepared to deal with meat in hot weather. If you want to get a general season B tag that is good for archery and rifle you need to
Make the purchase early, like in July. There is a limited number of tags and anymore they sell out before the season starts.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

brn2hnt

WKR
Best part about CA rifle is the dates as well. The opener (usually earlier is better for wilderness areas as there will be an exodus with first good storm hits) will be the 16th of Sept next year. Archery will be about the same time frame but in august.

OP
huntstrong2850
I never even realized hunting in CA was so popular until we started talking about hunting a blacktail. I have to say coming to California to hunt would be cool. I appreciate you guys help!

Thanks guys, I'll look more into California. California looking at google earth seems a bit more spot and stalk friendly than Oregon. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means. And having the tag good for rifle too would be nice just to try not to eat the tag.

dON'T UNDERESTIMATE that brutal heat though.

okie john

FNG
I've hunted them in Washington state for 25 years. If you get the chance to hunt them anywhere else, take it. The brush is thick and wet here. Plenty of folks kill them with a bow, but basically, you shoot the first one you see or you go home empty-handed. I have friends in Oregon who've hunted all their lives and they focus on muleys and whitetails.

Okie John

You could hunt oregon OTC bow or rifle no points no BS!
All units west of cascades are open general season bow and rifle. A couple units that hold blacktials, Keno, K Falls, have decent rifle hunting but are draw hunts for rifle, General bow. Best hunting for blackies is late bow season of course. Tree stands over ridge trails produce results for those cruising bucks. You can spot and stalk in some areas but its more of a still hunting show with glassing alot, spot then move in. Its TOUGH to hunt these things. Several units in S.Central and West central OR have great bow hunting as well as rifle for blacktail.
Rifle hunt general season goes from 9/30 to 11/12 this year on most of the western OR units. There is a short closure period for the elk season for all units seat of interstate 5.

541hunter

WKR
You could hunt oregon OTC bow or rifle no points no BS!
All units west of cascades are open general season bow and rifle. A couple units that hold blacktials, Keno, K Falls, have decent rifle hunting but are draw hunts for rifle, General bow. Best hunting for blackies is late bow season of course. Tree stands over ridge trails produce results for those cruising bucks. You can spot and stalk in some areas but its more of a still hunting show with glassing alot, spot then move in. Its TOUGH to hunt these things. Several units in S.Central and West central OR have great bow hunting as well as rifle for blacktail.
Rifle hunt general season goes from 9/30 to 11/12 this year on most of the western OR units. There is a short closure period for the elk season for all units seat of interstate 5.

I believe rifle season ends 11/3 this year

desertcj

WKR
I guarantee it's rough I trust you. But don't forget I'm from the south and 100% humidity. Haha

If you want to DIY, be prepared to work for it. Backpack hunting the mountains in CA where blacktail are found is no joke! Everyone thinks of big mountains in the Rockies, I'm sure they are but there are some big 'uns out here. A 4000ft verticle gain over 5 miles is about the most I'm interested in tackling....if I must...lol.

buggy

FNG
I can't speak for Oregon or California but I've hunted western Washington my whole life and I can say it would be tough to do without a lot of scouting. Like was said before, the brush is incredibly thick and usually soaked. And for some reason I love it.:confused:
I believe it was Jim Zumbo who hunted for like a week in my neck of the woods and he said it was the hardest animal he's ever hunted.

You will work hard for a quality blacktail!!! Never doubt that. I hunt blackies, mulies and whitetail, a blacktail punched tag always feels way more rewarding to me