Kodiak blacktail boat based hunt suggestions

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
So my fiance and I are planning our honeymoon around going to Kodiak and deer hunting. Something her and I have always wanted to do and this is a good excuse to finally do it. I have always wanted to fly in and do a drop camp style hunt, but she made the unfortunate decision to google "kodiak brown bear attacks" :confused: so we are now entertaining the idea of a boat based type hunt instead. I've only been able to find a couple, and also several lodge style hunts. Can you guys throw out some suggestions/places you've used before?

Thanks a bunch
Chad

OP
weatherbow21

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I'm leaning towards kodiak combos, anyone ever stayed with Jeff?

I've never done any of the boat based hunts, but I have friends that have and from listening to their stores, it's now on my bucket list. You may want to post this question on the Alaska Outdoor Forum, I'm sure you'd get some good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc

FNG
One of the other forums I follow a guy just did a lodge based blacktail hunt. Texasbowhunter the guys handle is DocMay and is working on his super slam

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
weatherbow21

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I've never done any of the boat based hunts, but I have friends that have and from listening to their stores, it's now on my bucket list. You may want to post this question on the Alaska Outdoor Forum, I'm sure you'd get some good info.

Thanks for the tip Greg I will try that, it won't let me post on there yet, I suspect they have to approve my account before I can post any threads. So far it sounds like Jeff at Kodiak combos has a good reputation, I'd just like to have another one or two I can compare to.

Daniel_M

WKR
Zachar Bay Lodge seems to do well. They run a cabin-type operation with daily skiff dropoff's for around $850 a week. Doing a boat or even cabin based hunt doesn't mitigate the potential for brown bear problems...while flying home the pilot was telling us about a lodge-based hunter who was mauled by a bear while deer hunting.

You do however mitigate the "bear in the tent" issues.

Last edited:
OP
weatherbow21

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
Zachar Bay Lodge seems to do well. They run a cabin-type operation with daily skiff dropoff's for around $850 a week. Doing a boat or even cabin based hunt doesn't mitigate the potential for brown bear problems...while flying home the pilot was telling us about a lodge-based hunter who was mauled by a bear while deer hunting.

You do however mitigate the "bear in the tent" issues.
Right, the "bear in the tent" issues is what worried me, just seeing a bear around camp, let alone near or in camp I think would ruin the trip for her. Its when the sun goes down and those long dark nights get really long that would worry me. We've pretty well settled on Kodiak Adventure Lodge at this point, the week of thanksgiving which will be a cool experience. Its going to be a long year waiting for this one, something I've wanted to do all my life.

Daniel_M

WKR
Right, the "bear in the tent" issues is what worried me, just seeing a bear around camp, let alone near or in camp I think would ruin the trip for her. Its when the sun goes down and those long dark nights get really long that would worry me. We've pretty well settled on Kodiak Adventure Lodge at this point, the week of thanksgiving which will be a cool experience. Its going to be a long year waiting for this one, something I've wanted to do all my life.

Sticking with the basics, a clean camp and meat cache at a distance will net the best results. That said, I slept like crap for a week. On the first night, what we believe to be a deer took down our bear fence in a fury, even kicked or ran into the back of the tent just above my head. Fox would whine often at night, perhaps from being zapped by the fence. We ended up popping camp near a salmon stream, but never saw a bear near camp until the last few days while at elevation, we spotted him down in the alders below us while processing 2 bucks.

Having bears in and or around camp, on Kodiak, is not an uncommon occurrence. It doesn't happen all the time but often enough for it to be a concern, especially if you're camped out around a food source. All of these pictures were taken from camp.
171f0256917a78daed8f1ffcf95b6380.png

42a02dd00b34f28ac7b76fae306d6afd.jpg

6aec6bb09e769987957e3a7368983b78.jpg

f40cd2bfd01e2a1288aeefa4c7bcb483.jpg

And sometimes, if they stay, they win a free plane trip back to town.
0a7d095283909d9c0a0f35d408c5f2cb.jpg

Last edited:

Zackman

Lil-Rokslider
I bowhunted Kodiak for deer 5 times. Four from a boat. Feel free to PM me for specific details.

Zack