2017 POW Alpine hunt

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning a 2017 pow deer hunt in august. I've never done a hunt like this before so I'm trying to prep with some digital scouting. I want to try an alpine hunt but after spending some time on google earth the alpine areas on pow seem somewhat limited. They seem to be isolated peaks or a short ridge. Not really continuous areas.

Seems like if you pick a ridge without deer you are s.o.l. Unless you climb down, drive to the next ridge then climb back up and set s new camp. This may also be my inexperience looking for alpine areas.

Can anyone provide any tips on how to eliminate alpine areas using google earth?

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
You nee to get a copy of the federal regs.

As an NR you are batting clean up.

It should be good regardless but your alpine may have already been hunted when you get there.

Beendare

WKR
As you can see, its hit and miss. These are typically a backpack up there for a few days and move type deal. POW has small pockets that WILL have deer...and usually little pressure as the locals like spots they can drive to...or even just hunt them off the road. I can't imagine much local pressure in the alpine.

FYI, hiking into that alpine through what is essentially a rain forest can be an ordeal. Are you familiar with Devils Club? If not, you will be. <Grin> Hint.....Bring a pair of heavy plastic gloves....

I can also tell you there are other islands that have bigger alpine areas but logistically are tougher.

curly

FNG
The season opens the last week of July for the locals on POW and most if not all mountains will have had hunting pressure come mid August!

Seaker574

FNG
Any alpine area will have deer. Maybe not all monsters. I wouldn't worry about local hunting pressure in alpine hunts. Most people wait for the rut. The further you get from the roads the better your chances.

Since I didn't draw anything, I'm heading up end July for the opener. Going to fish and hit the alpine when possible.

Do you have a partner ? I'm hunting POW Alpine( August 16 season opener) and could use a partner. I live in ketchikan and will be taking my boat to POW