Daydreaming of Alaska Alpine Blacktails

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Some of you may have seen these episodes on TV. We have them all up on our YouTube channel and given I have spent the weekend dreaming and planning my next Sitka BT hunt, I thought I would share these episodes with the Rokslide crowd in hopes of encouraging others to go and partake in this special hunt in this amazing location.

In 2015, I was lucky enough to have a great friend from Thorne Bay invite me to join him on an alpine Sitka Blacktail hunt. If you are into B&C records, you will see Jim's name littering the Sitka Blacktail entries, all taken with his hand crafted Hawken.

This experience was so grand, I am losing sleep knowing we are going back again in August. Even with a full season of hunts lining up, it seems a return to chase these amazing deer in such an amazing place is occupying most of my daydreaming,

Here is the first of the two-episode series we did on this hunt. Jim shoots a traditional black powder, which in itself is hard enough, but when you consider the moisture issues in that part of Alaska, even more remarkable.

Knowing Jim was a foremost expert on Blacktails and hunting Blacktails I was always trying to learn from him for my own hunt that I was planning for "someday." I never want to impose on other hunters or friends, so I dared not ask too much about his hunting locations, though I gained plenty of intel from his pictures and stories. When he asked me to go on this hunt, I tried to not act starstruck. Given my respect for him and his hunting spots, I would never go back without him and did not ask to go back, thinking if he wanted me to go back, he would ask. Jim has invited me again for August 2017 and hope it will be half as fun as the first time.

For those of you who are contemplating this experience, I hope these episodes will push you over the edge and get you to do it.

[video=youtube_share;cvLGuAl0Xs8]https://youtu.be/cvLGuAl0Xs8?list=PLLdxutimd-JuTrZVtx0LAOtdC6hQvBNNJ[/video]

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Part 2 is below. Damn, that was fun. And one hell of an ascent/descent.

[video=youtube_share;EhoBHYeBZeo]https://youtu.be/EhoBHYeBZeo?list=PLLdxutimd-JuTrZVtx0LAOtdC6hQvBNNJ[/video]

Jon Boy

WKR
Thanks for sharing Randy. I saw those episodes when you first released them. Because of those I will be heading to SE AK on my first blacktail hunt this August.