How to trick a derr's nose ?

there are stories on how to hide human scent but many of them are fakes....pleas does anyone have a posisitive and reliable way to trick deers and big games ?

Only reliable way I know is to keep the wind in your face. I just heard from a guy at work that keeping some weed in your pocket helps...most likely just a stoner move though.

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
I know a guy who kills elk pretty much every year for the last 15 or so years with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth the whole time. He laughs at us when we use scent blockers and such. Just always be down wind. He says he can see the smoke and knows what the wind is doing every moment of the day.

Point is, it doesn't matter what chemicals or scents you use. If you get winded, it's game over.

• Banned
OP
M
Only reliable way I know is to keep the wind in your face. I just heard from a guy at work that keeping some weed in your pocket helps...most likely just a stoner move though.

playing the wind is good but what happens when the wind changes ? the weed thing could be true but the o met and old guy at the mall and he told me he was a heavy smoker and the tobacco scent on him helped him a lot while hunting.

Im with murdy ^^ Im betting that over 50% of the time, we hunters are getting busted because of mouth breathing and the associated odour de' jour of the last meal or whatever eats were last in there.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, play the wind.

The 'feel good' products on the market don't help enough to matter if the wind is wrong.

There are stories of the early indians getting very close to deer by sitting in a smoke house buck naked until they had a fine layer of ash on their whole body [probably their lungs too!] that covered their scent.

I have no doubt that can work....AND I have no doubt its one of the reasons those Indians didn't live long either!

The wind, and wind only.

Imagine walking down a small stream in the fall, salmon dead all over, stepping on them. It hasn't rained in a week, and you can barely breath the stench is so bad. Horrible, bears will pick you off instantly with an errant breeze you to them. No amount of cover scent will cover your stench.

Gr8bawana

WKR
There is no realiable way to trick the noses of animals regardless of all the miracle scent blockers and clothes washes out there. Those who say the stuff works are just deluding themselves. It works no better than carrying a lucky rabbit's foot in your pocket.

Okay, I´ll argue the other side. But first I must agree, there is no reliable way to trick an animals nose.

you can view the sensitivity of an animals nose (or the electro'chemical signal sent to the brain) as the inverse of a houses electrical breaker system. So what do I mean, I mean that a curcit breaker is designed to trip when to much power is being drawn through the system. In the case of animals, they need to detect a minimal amount of scent before a signal is sent to their brain. Obviously that minimal amount depends on the type of animal, but we´re talking parts per million. In'other'words, there is a threshold there, that needs to be met before an animals brain receives a message about the scent it´s picked up.

With that in mind, in theory, it is possible to reduce your scent to levels low enough that an animal does not receive enough scent (parts per million proccessed) to triger a signal to the brain, resulting in the animal being unaware of the human odor, or any odor that is insufficent to result in meeting the threshold and triggering a signal to their brain.

The issue is that we cannot control the odor producing process of our bodies, all we can do is limit it. If you use those mirical products (as they have been caled) in camp, and take a 2 mile hike, well your going to sweat up, and, well stink. You can brush your teeth, but you don´t necessarly want to be putting out minty freshness in an area with no mint. Yoiu can however use baking soda. But as has been stated, your not going to eliminate all your scent. The big question here is can you reduce it enough to make a difference. If you cary those scent eliminating sprays into the field and reapply, then maybe you can. From my experance playing around with many different products, it can make a difference. However, other than using a trained tracking dog (which I have not done) I have no idea of how you would test this. But in short, you´d be a fol to not play the wind as much as possible, with or without these type of products.

Scoot

WKR
Blah blah blah bla blaaahhh... stay down wind. It's really that simple. You can talk all the BS and fake science you want (or real science sprinkled into marketing BS), but it all comes down to being downwind (or at least not being upwind). Like was said above-- if the wind switches, you get busted. That definitely is hunting. Understand wind/thermals and be downstream of the air movement from the animal. If you're not, you lose the game and try, try again. People can make it more complicated than that, but it's really not.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord