Kodiak deer hunt 2017 questions

Beastland

FNG
A few buddies and I are going up to kodiak mid oct for a deer hunt. One guy has been up there 2 years in a row now, this will be my first. We have the transport plane booked and our airfare into kodiak. Im just looking for a little info on gear I should bring. I looked up average weather and rainfall, but is there anything that some of you guys that have been up there before wouldnt leave home without? Also, Im a kuiu fan, for the kuiu guys ou there, what gear do you wear that time of the year up there?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Pepper spray, bear fence, some sort of tent heat to dry out, gaitors, good rain gear, depending on where you are provisions for stream crossing (we would toss over-boot hippers back across to each other on narrow streams).

^^^All good advise, except no pepper spray for me, I think it's worthless. As far as Kuiu gear, I'm a fan as well (at least in regards to apparel), the Chugach rain gear has served me very well for the last several years. A few months ago I purchased a set of the Yukon's and plan on taking them this year to try out as well.

OP
B

Beastland

FNG
I forgot to add, we are using one of the forest service cabins, no tents this time. Were bringing one set of gaitors as well. As for the kuiu gear, i cant decide. The yukon seems a little over the top, if it were nov or december then I could see yukon. Is the chugach just a rain jacket or insulated as well?

None of them are insulated, the Yukon is just a little more heavy duty. If you think you may be doing a lot of bush whacking you might want to get the Yukon.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Only been there once in August and it was Windy as hell and Rained every day. I would assume it would be the same or worse in October. So don't forget the rain gear. I also would bring a rain cover for my pack next time. But it was one of the best hunts I have ever been on. Here is Becca Moffat hammering a buck.

[video=youtube_share;0-QqJRzomp8]https://youtu.be/0-QqJRzomp8[/video]

OP
B

Beastland

FNG
So do you guys suggest an isulation layer under the rain gear. I usually wear a merino wool tee and then a merino wool long sleeze zip up under my guide jacket. Enough insulation for the yukon or chugach?

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Mid Oct you could get any kind of weather including cold and snow. So you should be prepared for anything. I don't go on a hunt anywhere without at least some kind of insulation layer. I have only been on the island the first week of September. I was sure glad I had a puffy jacket and pant to put on under my rain gear when we unexpectedly stayed the night out on the mountain with very minimal shelter.

set of those Costco treking poles be nice to take. helps with climbs and can be used to shoot off of and various tarp duties. are you spiking out up higher? those cabins are down low. when i checked into renting one last year end of september i was told youll have to climb to get into better hunting.2-3hour hikes every morning i would make sure you have good boots too.

Daniel_M

WKR
I've been a few times in October and November. Rain was minimal, but expect it along with wind. November was cooler, clear and beautiful. We packed an arctic oven tent and propane stove due to the weight allowances on my last trip. No bear issues, tho we had a deer take down the fence and almost kicked me in the head while I slept. Only saw 1 bear.

Being in a cabin, expect to hike above treeline which means some alder bashing, so good rain gear.

SatPhone
Backup shelter
Bear fence Eagle Enterprises, Inc., Electro Bear Guard the Ultimate Portable Electric Bear Fence Products
Trekking poles
Crampons with short spikes or micro spikes - wet vegetation can suck to trek in.
Rain gear - I like the Kuiu Yukon
Gaiters - I like the OR Crocs

wa hunter

FNG
we were there early-mid oct last year had 50 mile per hour winds and 4 inches of rain!! had Yukon rain gear, lots of merino and a good tent and stayed dry and comfortable. we saw 13 bears in the 3 days we were out hunting and a sow and 3 cubs got bit by our electric fence early one morning... was very glad we had a fence around our camp!!!! very water proof boots are a must!!! Kodiak is an awesome place full of adventures!!!! deer were also around 1500 to 2000 ft still so expect to hike.

I'm not sure there is such thing as "over the top" rain gear on Kodiak. Besides the potential for massive rain and wind, the alders and salmon berries can shred gear in short order. My approach the last couple trips has been to bring two sets. Light GTX for decent days, and some H/H rubber for all the rest. Having the option to rotate gear is nice and it also came in handy when I shredded the gore-tex in a fall.

Also as mentioned, you will absolutely want an insulation layer or two. The wind has a bite too it and October is getting late in the year even on Kodiak. Gloves with leather palms are good for the berry patches. Multiple sets of gloves lets you rotate. I also bring both mountain boots for hiking and Xtratuffs for around camp.

Headed down there myself tomorrow. Crossing fingers for decent weather. Got to go find a buddy a bear.

So do you guys basically hunt Kodiak in your rain gear the entire time? I.e. should I just wear my Yukon all day with insulation gear as needed or wear base layer, attack pants, Yukon and insulation when needed?

Thanks!

Daniel_M

WKR
So do you guys basically hunt Kodiak in your rain gear the entire time? I.e. should I just wear my Yukon all day with insulation gear as needed or wear base layer, attack pants, Yukon and insulation when needed?

Thanks!

Not always, but I did in my November 16 trip.

Base layer top/bottom, Sitka Timberlines, rain pant/gaiters, upper mid weight jacket/puffy as needed.

wa hunter

FNG

Thanks!

the first few days we were there it was beautiful and no need for rain gear but after that is was on all the time. i don't mind wearing rain pants with base layer all day but wont put on rain coat unless i am cold and glassing or it is raining. kind of up to you and the type of gear you have.

OP
B

Beastland

FNG
It sounds like the kuiu yukon gear is the way to go. Anybody have issues with rust and rifles, so threads talk about the se air being really harsh on rifles.

Daniel_M

WKR
It sounds like the kuiu yukon gear is the way to go. Anybody have issues with rust and rifles, so threads talk about the se air being really harsh on rifles.

Can't say I've personally ever had a rust issues around the salt, have always had a stainless/synthetic. I'll run a bore snake a few times, fire a few shots and give it a quick wipe down/light oil. I pulled mine out of the safe yesterday and there's still blood on the barrel, but no rust.

If you are staying in a cabin, those are provided by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge. They have 4 bunks, a built in dinning table and a kerosene heater. They also have a bear proof meat storage shed located a safe distance from the cabin. Take at least 5 gallons of kerosene, 5 gallon cans may be purchased in Kodiak. Every thing else is just the normal hunt stuff for what can be a cold wet environment. Also take at least 3 days extra food as your pick up flight can be grounded for days by weather. It's been 15 years since I was there but I used to be the deputy manager of that refuge. It will be a fun hunt, good luck.

Mike

Sent from the Arizona desert

^^^All good advise, except no pepper spray for me, I think it's worthless. As far as Kuiu gear, I'm a fan as well (at least in regards to apparel), the Chugach rain gear has served me very well for the last several years. A few months ago I purchased a set of the Yukon's and plan on taking them this year to try out as well.

thinking bear spray is worthless could be a very fatal mistake. It saves lives. there is no debating that.