Blacktail Antler Development and Elevation

This past weekend I hiked in 8-9 miles and saw quite a few bucks. One thing I noticed was that the bucks I spotted down low in the 1000' range were far ahead in terms of antler development compared with bucks in the 7000' range.

Is this normal? Will the big bodied bucks with velvet nubs in the higher elevations eventually catch up with the little bucks in the lower elevation sporting nicely developed racks by the time the bow season opens?

BTW: This was in the Redding area.

CC46ZmUl.jpg

crunchy

Lil-Rokslider
what is the forage? is the higher elevation heavily wooded? there might not be enough nutrients because od the lack of sunlight ,for them to develop larger horns

JNDEER

WKR
not many places you can go from 1000' to 7000' and be in the same general area to compare blacktails in the same region. As you go south of the Oregon border you will find the antler growth to be less than that of the bucks in the bay area. If you are in the same general region or area and find bucks in lower elevation to have more or less antler growth then bucks at a higher elevation in that same general area you are simply looking at two different size bucks when they are full grown.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
There is only about 6 weeks +- left for horn growth, before they rub off the velvet, there is no way a buck is going to make up a huge amount of ground in horn growth. I've always believed that your better quality bucks tend to drop earlier, and get a good start on the new set. Interesting observation of the higher country bucks,.. think they must of been a younger age class ?.
Mike

Interesting theory, I could see how elevation could affect antler growth. I was up north this weekend trying to do a little scouting myself. The road to the trail head was washed out. Couldn’t find an alternate route. Little bummed since It is a long drive from the bay. I’ll have to do a little map studying to find a feasible alternate route to my hunting area. Once I am in I am going to see if I notice any trends with elevation an antler size.

goph707

FNG
Interesting theory. I've never noticed a difference with elevation, however I have notice a huge difference in antler growth based of food quality and the amount of snow pack in the high country. On years with excellent snow pack (like this year) I have seen bigger bucks then the drier years. I just got back from scouting a wilderness here in NorCal. Food was lush, water EVERYWHERE, saw a lot of
Does with fawns. The bears looked healthy too.