POW Blacktails?

Rob in VT

FNG
Has anyone hunted Sitka Blacktails? Any experiences you would like to share?

They are on my bucket list. I know Kodiak is a popular destination, but the thought of large Brown Bears is a little unnerving. I was looking at Prince of Wales. They seem to have a healthy population and no brownies there (just blacks and wolves). Plus it's much closer to get there. Ketchikan is a 2 hour flight from Seattle.

I have seen some hunts conducted from ships. They anchore in coves at night and you can fish, catch shrimp, and pull crab pots at various times when not hunting. Would like to bring my wife, but the ship would need to be comfortable . I believe you can also get multiple bucks tags.

Thanks for any info . . . Rob

lcneo2112

FNG
I'm very interested in this also. I want very badly to make the trip to POW, but dont have anyone to go with me. I have been searching around trying to see if a legit solo DIY trip is practical. Lots of info on the Gritty Bowmen podcasts as he has made the trip a few times.

Brendan

WKR
I've done a little research and was considering doing this hunt this year, but I think it's just Elk hunting. I think it's 4 Buck Tags, Season opens August 15th or so. August - deer in the Alpine. Later into the rut they're in the thick stuff and down lower. Snows can drive them down onto the beaches. POW is a temperate rainforest - be prepared from everything from Sun to drenching, pouring rain all day every day.

Any other experienced Roksliders from the lower 48 want to plan this hunt as a group in the future, maybe including bear tags, I'm all ears. I'd consider Kodiak too hunting with others.

I've done a little research and was considering doing this hunt this year, but I think it's just Elk hunting. I think it's 4 Buck Tags, Season opens August 15th or so. August - deer in the Alpine. Later into the rut they're in the thick stuff and down lower. Snows can drive them down onto the beaches. POW is a temperate rainforest - be prepared from everything from Sun to drenching, pouring rain all day every day.

Any other experienced Roksliders from the lower 48 want to plan this hunt as a group in the future, maybe including bear tags, I'm all ears. I'd consider Kodiak too hunting with others.
Be prepared to lose a day or two to weather. It will be rainy and gets very windy here quick. Not to mention the fog.

I'm going to hunt this August 15-19th prince of Wales, if anyone wants to join me ! Seriously need a partner!

Hopefully the bears will stay down low and eat the fish.
Id bring one set of really great rain gear, no cotton,(too heavy and takes too long to dry)
thick rubber gloves for the devil's club
Mosquito net for your head.
The topography here is a PIA as you'll find what looked good on Google Earth is now not so good at all, and rock faces/ cliffs .

I picked an area accessible by boat no roads because locals to pow get a head start and I figure less pressure the better.
Anchor my boat in the bay and head up the mountain.

This time of year is a great hunt but the hikes up through brush and alders are no joke. Once your up high above the deer they will be looking down for threats not up. The pack down with meat is a very slow and careful one.

The November rut trip is definitely easier on your body and the bucks are busy breeding.

Deer are always on the beach here they love the salt and kelp .

Felix40

WKR
Im headed up the 12th and going to stay until the 20th. I only bought two deer tags because I would be stoked to kill just two. Planning on backpacking above treeline and staying in the tipi the whole trip. I have no idea what to expect and no expectations. Just looking for adventure. Ill post up a few pics when I get home.

Im headed up the 12th and going to stay until the 20th. I only bought two deer tags because I would be stoked to kill just two. Planning on backpacking above treeline and staying in the tipi the whole trip. I have no idea what to expect and no expectations. Just looking for adventure. Ill post up a few pics when I get home.
Season opens the 16th so whatcha going to do from 12th-16th? Rent a truck and drive the island ?
Do you have a hunt partner ?

Daniel_M

WKR
Don't let the bears on Kodiak deter you. I went last November and only laid eyes on 1 bear. The doe's, however, were a pain in the ass around camp. First night a doe was tangled up in the bear fence and kicked the tent less than a foot above my noggin. The fox kept stealing my icy cold beverages from the creek.

Only bear we saw was while at elevation taking care of a few deer we caught and he was 300 yards below us crawling in the alders.

duchntr

WKR
Yes federal land( alot of the island)
Well most alpine country is off limits until august 16th to non residents. Even though i live in ketchikan,ak i cant hunt until the 16th.

i think i am correct on this...
anybody out there wanna join?

I was not aware of fed land subsistance reg and I was wrong. Here are the doi regs if your interested. https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/uploads/wildlife_regs_16-18_correctedreduced.pdf

"Federal public lands on Prince of Wales Island, excluding the southeast portion (land south of the West Arm of Cholmondeley Sound draining into Cholmondeley Sound or draining eastward into Clarence Strait), are closed to hunting of deer from Aug. 1 - Aug. 15, except by Federally qualified sub- sistence users hunting under these regulations."

Good luck on your hunts this year