Optics for SE Alaska alpine hunt

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider
Is it worth lugging a spotter and tripod up for an end of August alipine blacktail hunt in Alaska?

I've never been to the area before so I don't really know the terrain other than topos and google maps. I am bringing an 8x bino for sure but would bring my 65mm if it's worth the weight.

Felix40

WKR
Im at the ket airport now. Going to be doing this exact hunt for the next 7 days. Will let you know my thoughts.

slvrslngr

WKR
I would say no. It's not like a sheep or goat hunt where you need to study the animal up close to know if it's legal or mature.

wendigo

FNG
no. pretty easy to tell if it is a buck. binos are nice. scope is overkill.

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
Definitely a no. Just got back to town this morning and with the weather up here the alpine is fogged in completely. 8x binos and rubber rain pants is all you need! Probably too late to help but if youre not out there yet id be happy to share tips.

Definitely a no. Just got back to town this morning and with the weather up here the alpine is fogged in completely. 8x binos and rubber rain pants is all you need! Probably too late to help but if youre not out there yet id be happy to share tips.

How was your hunt?

Felix40

WKR
I killed a decent buck on opening day. I had two tags but didnt see another buck the rest of the trip. Glad I went but Ill probably never go back. Its cool country though

Nope, descent binos will be all you'll need. It's just too thick to make packing a spotter practical.

Last edited: