Blacktail In Oregon Cascades: September

Benjblt

WKR
I plan on rifle hunting High cascade blacktail in Oregon the second week of September. It's mostly roadless and I plan to hike into the wilderness. Do you think the bucks will still be out in the meadows if undisturbed, or will they be in heavy cover? I'm trying to decide on a strategy and I'm not sure that I can depend on them being in the open like they would be in July/August. But maybe I'm wrong if they aren't pressured. Any thoughts?

tttoadman

WKR
Every buck will slip up now and then, but a big blacktail will likely never be seen in a meadow. If you see a bunch of deer but no big buck, wait it out until dark and see if he steps out of the shadows. I will be up there with you the entire second week. I have my spot. This year is it's going to happen!! They say to learn a blacktail area well, and keep hunting it smarter. That is my approach.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Every buck will slip up now and then, but a big blacktail will likely never be seen in a meadow. If you see a bunch of deer but no big buck, wait it out until dark and see if he steps out of the shadows. I will be up there with you the entire second week. I have my spot. This year is it's going to happen!! They say to learn a blacktail area well, and keep hunting it smarter. That is my approach.
I hear you but you do see them in the open during the summer. I didn't know if I found a low/no pressure area if thryh would still be in the open some. Tough question depending all the variables I know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It seems to me that once they have hard antlers they vacate the open pretty quickly. Sometimes they do give you a chance, but it takes minimal pressure to turn them nocturnal until pre-rut staging.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
It seems to me that once they have hard antlers they vacate the open pretty quickly. Sometimes they do give you a chance, but it takes minimal pressure to turn them nocturnal until pre-rut staging.
That's kind of what I was thinking and wondering if others thought that as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That has been my experience anyway. I do catch them on the edge of cuts once in awhile. I think the bucks on the scree slopes right at timberline expose themselves a little more, but they are usually less pressured. There again, about one brief encounter is all you get though, until the rut starts having an effect on them. Good luck on your High Cascade hunt.