Buck down - sad. What would you do?

RdHawg

FNG
As my daughter and I were hunting B zone we came across this:
IMG_5528.jpg
He'd probably been there a couple days. Bloated, flys doing their work but his blood was still liquid.

Would have been a nice deer but someone poked a triangular shaped hole in the back of his head! Grrr. It did start an interesting discussion with my daughter(9).

What would you do if you had done this deed thinking it had been legal? If it had been your friend?

(Background for non-Ca savvy folks; we are required to shot a fork or better and this guy is only a spike!)

I don't know how a person can be within bow range and not be able to tell a spike from a fork. The person obviously just wanted to try and kill it to see if he could, what a bunch of bullshit! That's not a hunter, that's an asshole and unfortunately, they give real hunters a bad name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
A dead deer in the woods - glad you were able to use it as a teaching experience.

Not knowing what happened, one can only speculate.

I'm not into profanity on a public forum either. Some 10 year old kid is gonna read that and think that is acceptable. And it is not.

Thats a real bummer. As someone said, how can you not tell thats a spike from inside bow range? Unfortunately whoever did that will do it again and wont stop. I think most poachers dont learn a lesson even when caught.

OP
R

RdHawg

FNG
The better question is what did you do?

A good question. I did not turn it into local LE as it was in a remote area, not likely to be in anyway traceable to a culprit, also not likely to be followed up on - so I concluded it would be a waste of my time to find one of our few and far between DFG LE. Perhaps if I'd had more to give to LE then a location and a dead body I would've done something else. I'm sure there will be those that disagree - but that is what I chose to do.

I just started bow hunting. this is my second year at it. I hunt Bzone pretty much exclusivity and am very familiar with how rifle season goes down on public land. Convoys of road hunters all over the mountains looking for a buck to shoot from the road. After a 4 day pack in and out I was surprised as hell to see how many road bow hunters were out there lol. This was on a monday too, people standing in the bed of pick up trucks with bows and tons of jeeps with bows ready to go. We were laughing and shaking out heads at the same time, what a joke. If you bow hunt this way and you have two working legs and eyes all I can say is wow. I bring this up because, relevant to this post, I am imagining those road hunters eventually get board of seeing nothing but does and spikes off the road and then eventually start shooting at them.

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
As my daughter and I were hunting B zone we came across this:
View attachment 56974
He'd probably been there a couple days. Bloated, flys doing their work but his blood was still liquid.

Would have been a nice deer but someone poked a triangular shaped hole in the back of his head! Grrr. It did start an interesting discussion with my daughter(9).

What would you do if you had done this deed thinking it had been legal? If it had been your friend?

(Background for non-Ca savvy folks; we are required to shot a fork or better and this guy is only a spike!)

I hunt B-zone and it's become a real shit show there. With all the weed growers that don't care about the environment, wild dogs that get left behind after the grows harvest, and huge crowds, it's not as much fun anymore. There are literally villages of people camping up in the hills by hull mountain off M1. they night hunt and drive canyons with 10 people and shoot everything that moves. It's sad really.

Daniel_M

WKR
Happens often here in Alaska, very prevalent with certain caribou hunts as folks can't quite discern a bull from a cow, or 2 a bad shot killing multiple animals. All you can do is report it.

Me? Salvage the meat to be later turned in and self report.