2016 Sitka Blacktail

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Last winter I got invited to go on a Blacktail hunt out of Sitka. It was my first trip to Alaska. The scenery was amazing. On this trip we spotted deer from the boat which was a totally new experience. The stalk was pretty simple using a small raised island as cover and shooting across a tidal flat at about 250yrds. Physically this was an easy hunt; however the mental part of keeping your head in the game while being cold and wet was a new one. Anyway Alaska was beautiful beyond my wildest dreams and I took a nice deer.
IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0495.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 95

Merc

FNG
Looks like a great cold trip with some surf and turf.

Was it a boat based hunt? Been looking at easier hunts I can get my Dad on, and a boat based blacktail might just be the ticket.

OP
W

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
The hunt was boat based. Physically it was not very difficult. I will say the mental challenge of being cold and wet as well as being on super sketchy water in a small boat was a new thing. As long as you have some upper body strength to get in and out of the boat it wouldn’t be a problem at all. Plus I’m a young guy who is comfortable with hiking around. The whole big ocean full of cold water thing was a little weird!