Last California hunt.

This past deer season will be my last in California. I was stationed in California three years ago, and it afforded me the first time to hunt in almost seven years. It has been challenging to learn how to hunt the backcountry, but I loved every minute of it. Through hours of driving, miles of hiking, and time spent away from home I was blessed by filling both my B-Zone tags. They may not be trophy's to some, but to me they are. If anyone is willing to hike in deep in northern California, I am willing to pass off my maps with grids. Just PM and I'll email them to the first hunter who reaches out. Hope all of you have as rewarding season as I have!

Rob

Attachments

• Deer.jpg
    Deer.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 287
  • SKull.jpg
    SKull.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Boreal

WKR
Nice deer! That headgear is a lot bigger than what I see here in AK. Good luck wherever your next hunts happen!

OP
Backcountryfit
Thank you everyone! I find it funny how you can spend so much time preparing for a hunt and it can be over so fast. I jumped the larger one while he was bed down. After I shot him the second one stood up about 50 yards away and gave me a shot. 10 seconds it was all over. Packing those two deer 7 miles out was one of the most ball busting hikes I have done, and I loved every minute of it.

Thank you everyone! I find it funny how you can spend so much time preparing for a hunt and it can be over so fast. I jumped the larger one while he was bed down. After I shot him the second one stood up about 50 yards away and gave me a shot. 10 seconds it was all over. Packing those two deer 7 miles out was one of the most ball busting hikes I have done, and I loved every minute of it.
Damn, that's impressive! My 3 days and 3 nights 7-miles deep in B-zone was not so fruitful. I passed on a tiny (legal) buck the first day and didn't see another the rest of the trip...except for a great 4x5 I think I accidentally bumped towards some other hunters who bagged him. I didn't realize the other hunters were even out there. Congrats.

Congrats on doubling up on blacktails! It's a pretty rare thing here in California, hell there's lots of guys who don't fill one tag. There are some great areas in the backcountry up here though. Those heavy pack outs are some of the sweetest pains you'll feel. I doubled up opening morning last year on a solo trip in a little over 5 miles in...there were times in that pack out I regretted shooting the second one but wouldn't change it if I could!! I'm curious what wilderness you were hunting if you wouldn't mind pming me, if not no worries! Congrats again!!

OP
Backcountryfit
Just curious, what dates were you hunting? What was the weather like?
Thanks

the first trip I made was 30 Sep-3 Oct(shot the two bucks on 2 Oct). Temps were in the 50's and 60's during the day and 30's at night. Every day was clear and sunny. The second trip I made in hopes of getting my buddy on a Buck and myself on a bear was 14-19 Oct. It was warm, in the 70's for highs and mid 40's at night. I saw one buck, my buddy saw two. they could have been the same deer. Since it was so warm they were bedded down so we were only seeing them when we were right on top of their beds.

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome man! Congrats! Me and the wife heading down to D16 on Nov 20th to hunt the Lagunas, I keep reading the bucks should be rutty by then. I have my A-22 tag and my AO. Going to bust ass for 2-3 days and try to get it done. Thanks for the post to keep my head up for this late season hunt planned!:D

Awesome man! Congrats! Me and the wife heading down to D16 on Nov 20th to hunt the Lagunas, I keep reading the bucks should be rutty by then. I have my A-22 tag and my AO. Going to bust ass for 2-3 days and try to get it done. Thanks for the post to keep my head up for this late season hunt planned!:D

I lived in SD for a few years, some real nice bucks come out of D16. Very fun place to hunt! Good luck, can't wait to see some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk