Kodiak Sitka Blacktail Hunt

mcseal2

WKR
I'm looking at trying this hunt too in a few years, thanks for the good info.

Dhosera

FNG
I did Kodiak with Ninilchik Charters in 2016 and their Spring Bear hunt in 2017. I've also fished with them multiple times in the summer so I feel pretty confident in talking about them. They are awesome people and will go out of their way to make things comfortable for you. Get captain Garrett or Brandon if you can. They are killers. Our group took 13 bucks, 3 fox, over 100 ducks along with Halibut & Rockfish. Weather is the main factor. We lost almost 2 full days of hunting and still did that well. Bring G some root beer flavored beer or steel shot for ducks and Brandon a log of chew Tell them some dude named Derek gave you the tip and you'll have 2 great friends. PM me for more details.....I did a full daily hunt report with photos for another site.

My wife and I had our honey moon on Kodiak this past fall over thanksgiving week, I've been to write up a story but haven't got around to it and probably won't at this point. We had a great time, I would absolutely go back and encourage everyone to try this hunt at least once. We hunted with Kodiak Adventure Lodge, I won't shit mouth them, but I wouldn't go back with them, if anyone reading this is considering going with them feel free to PM me.

I would plan for rain every day, we brought two sets of rain gear but were really lucky and didn't get a lot of rain. It doesn't get that cold there, but we planned for the worst and brought a lot of layers, that said cold wasn't an issue for us.

We each killed two bucks a piece, like someone else said they planned to shoot the first decent buck they saw which is what we did and I would recommend the same as weather (wind) plays a huge role on kodiak and in our case our transporter was the one who got to make the call on if we were allowed to hunt that day. Getting meat back was no issue, we cut and wrapped our bucks (that was really nice) and froze the meat in waxed boxes to check on the airline. Horns went is a separate box, so we had 4 boxes of meat (50lbs each) and 1 box of horns and it was no problem at all.

Personally I wouldn't bring a bow, not that I like easy hunts but I think it would be pretty tough hunting, at least where we were hunting on the island. We really didn't see a lot of deer, I've read reports of people seeing loads of deer and basically having your pick of bucks but that wasn't the case for us at all, we killed the only four bucks we had opportunitys at and none of them would have been in a good spot to stalk with a bow. If this was a hunt you get to do regularly then it would be really fun with a bow, but for me I might only do this hunt once in my life (hopefully I'll go once more) and selfishly I would want it to be successful in terms of killing.

I will tell you the country there is very deceiving. Pictures and even glassing into areas it looks fairly open but the brush is pretty thick hunting from the beaches like you will be. Some spots the alders are really thick and although they wont have leaves they will hide deer really well. On top of that the grass there is crazy tall and thick, a pain to spot deer in at times and even to walk through. Some areas will have like muskeg, soft squishy uneven ground that you'd think you can run across but it can take some time to get through.

We never saw a bear the whole week we were there.

Weatherbow21, I just registered and can't figure out how to PM you about Kodiak Adventures Lodge. I am in the works of planning something with them, so if you could reach out soon that'd be great.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
Weatherbow21, I just registered and can't figure out how to PM you about Kodiak Adventures Lodge. I am in the works of planning something with them, so if you could reach out soon that'd be great.
I sent you a message, FYI