Gutting question

snowplow

WKR
Dudes, when l bring out a deer whole l have started gutting using the 'bung' method where you cut around the bung hole and pull it up through the pelvis and out with the gut bag. Ive only done it twice so far like this so still kinda figuring it out.

I was wondering if you think l could cut out the bung with this knife or if it would be too short to get it done?

https://www.buckknives.com/product/paklite-caper-knife/0135FAM01/

Its my favorite knife but it only has a 2.5" blade. I feel like it should work especially since theres no handles and you could just insert it further. But lm a noob so who knows.

If not how long of a blade do you think l need?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I have done it that way with a 4" blade, and it worked fine. I'm not sure I would go any shorter, but it's been a while since I've done it. I don't gut that way anymore. Gutless method is what I use, with a havalon.

colersu22

WKR
That’s how my father in law does it but he uses an outdoor edge that is probably a 3 1/2 blade, I think it is the swing blade and has a zipper blade vs using a gut hook and it is pretty slick. Helps when you can shoot them in the yard and just have to drag them about 50’ to the shop.

xziang

WKR
Interesting.. I've never field dressed a deer this way before.. Always cut the pelvis out, crack open the rear legs to bring everything through.

Downwind

FNG
It’ll work fine just pull and make small cuts. I’ve always used that method even on moose (bigger animal is actually easier because you can reach into the pelvic girdle easier). If you split the pelvis it’s even easier to get in Theresa’s pull everything out in one shot.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
It’ll work fine just pull and make small cuts. I’ve always used that method even on moose (bigger animal is actually easier because you can reach into the pelvic girdle easier). If you split the pelvis it’s even easier to get in Theresa’s pull everything out in one shot.
Thanks guys. Crack in the pelvis is the way I always grew up doing it too. But I started doing it this way because I could eliminate a saw or using a knife on the bone and I like it.

I have used that very knife to field dress deer that way. My knife came as a package with a skinner. They share a sheath as well. Just remember, you'll have to hold the knife with your fingertips by the very end. You might have to do a little cutting once your on the inside as well. When I start on the outside portion, cutting around the poop chute, I make a small incision like a loop. That way I can grab the chute and pull/tug it to the sides as I'm cutting.

I think Steve Rinella did a YouTube video on this very method.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
It'll work with a short knife - I use a havalon piranta now, a short fixed blade buck before that. I've done it that way without breaking the pelvis on around 20 whitetails... I've only done 1 gutless and that was in MT this year and I needed to get it in game bags for travel anyways...

Normally, I want to hang the deer whole and age it some with skin on, so don't want to break it down in the woods.

jmez

WKR
It will work fine. Once you have the skin on the outside cut and separated a little you don't even need a knife. The rectum is attached with pretty loose connective tissue that you can break down very easily with your fingers. Cut a pretty wide skin margin and then use the knife to separate all the way around. Once you have it started grab the skin edge and pull back on the rectum with a good amount of tension with one hand and use the index finger on the other hand to separate the tissues. When you have it as far as you can reach go inside the cavity with one hand and separate with the index finger again. Key is keeping tension on the rectum while you are doing it. You can literally just push the tissue away from it.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Awesome guys thanks a ton. I have that set to the one with the boning knife? I absolutely love them they're so comfortable to use. I actually used the boning knife for what I'm asking last year and it worked great. And the little Caper worked amazing for inside with the guts. I was just hoping to get it down to one knife when I didn't want to stick that boning knife up inside there with the guts. I am absolutely in love with the shape of this little caper I wish I could find one just like it with it 3.5 or 4 inch blade. I'm seriously thinking of modifying that boning knife and dropping the tip down to match so it's not so pointy. Then I bet I would love that thing as a one knife processing tool. I'm trying really hard to get into the replaceable blade thing but I can't. I'm trying really really hard, but I can't. They're too one-dimensional and I don't like throw away stuff in general. I kind of don't even really get it because my buck knives hold an edge forever and they're super easy and fast to sharpen. I was thinking about this little caper or something similar to it because I was hoping to keep something slim skeletonized and Light with me in my bino harness. So I'm up for suggestions if anybody has better ideas.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too so to speak. A folder would be a no-brainer but if I could do it with a super light one piece skeletonized fixed blade it would offer so much more versatility.

I have an outdoor edge knife that has a zipper on one blade and the replacement blade on the other. I'm probably gonna go back to a single knife. I've been looking at some benchmade knives.

Those replacement blades knives (mine anyway) has cheap steel for a blade. That's why you just throw them away.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
Gutless and Havalon gets my vote too. Just be careful, I've had two blades come off and disappear inside elk!