Boots for Kodiak Blacktail late October

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
This. Lacrosse Grange uninsulated for anything prior to November 1, combine those with a set of YakTrax for slick vegetation on steep slopes and you're golden. Sub-$100 solution for a heckuva "problem".

OP
T
This. Lacrosse Grange uninsulated for anything prior to November 1, combine those with a set of YakTrax for slick vegetation on steep slopes and you're golden. Sub-$100 solution for a heckuva "problem".

Your blog is what finally made me take the final leap into this trip. Been thinking about it for a few years but your account was the final push I needed.

BTW, did you happen to go to NC State back 2006-07 and work with Dr. Deperno?

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome to hear. PM me if you want to chat further. Happy to help.

Sure did. He was my masters advisor, he and Dick Lancia as he was retiring.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I always wear quality leather boots and gaiters on my 15+ trips to Kodiak over the past 8 years or so. I haven't found keep them dry much of an issue at all. But I suppose that is hunt dependent. That said some over the boot waders simply for getting on and off the floats of the plane flying you out and helping load/unload the plane is nice. For general hiking around while hunting leather/goretex has been plenty adequate.

OP
T
I always wear quality leather boots and gaiters on my 15+ trips to Kodiak over the past 8 years or so. I haven't found keep them dry much of an issue at all. But I suppose that is hunt dependent. That said some over the boot waders simply for getting on and off the floats of the plane flying you out and helping load/unload the plane is nice. For general hiking around while hunting leather/goretex has been plenty adequate.

For some reason I feel like you know what you are talking about! Thanks for the advice.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For some reason I feel like you know what you are talking about! Thanks for the advice.

Merely one person's experience. If you want to always ensure your feet will be dry just go with waders. :)

For me I will continue to roll the dice with good goretex boots and gaiters. That said I am going to Kodiak in less than a week and I will be using waders and wader boots for the packrafting part of the trip. But I will be using good leather/goretex boots and gaiters for all the hiking around.

Again many that posted above have a lot of experience on Kodiak as well, like anything everyone's got an opinion. Just don't start cussing me if something happens and your leather goretex get wet. :) Personally for me, wet feet is no big deal if they do go that way anyways. I spend all my summer hiking/backpacking trips hiking trips in trail shoes and wet feet. That said so far so good with the dry feet on Kodiak in my boots.

BRWNBR

WKR
I agree with Luke. Wet feet can’t be a deal breaker. I’ve had leaky boots on day one of a two week trip. Oh well.
We have been spoiled with creature comforts these days and not everyone has the animal instinct to power thru discomfort. Those that do get more outa the wilderness than those who don’t I think. Prepare the best you can, but crap happens. One of the Best bear hunts I ever had started with the airplane ceasing to fly. In the sky.

GLB

WKR
For Kodiak I would stay with a gortex type hunting boot that works well on wet grassy slopes. When I'm in Kodiak I want a boot that I can get a good grip on that wet grass. Last couple times I went I wore the Salomon GTX boot. My feet stayed dry for the most part, but most important I wasn't sliding down the hill at every step.

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Lacrosse Burley rubber boots for years for wet weather hunting in Louisiana, Alaska, Canada, California, Texas, Colorado etc., and have never found them lacking. These were the old Lacrosse ankle fit boots made in the USA. Hell to get off but provided great ankle support. Unfortunately, a few years ago, Lacrosse started making these in China. This is not the same boot. Ankle fit is sloppy. Reminded me of the Tractor Supply boots, but for a lot more money. If you can find a pair of the old ones languishing in a merchant's back room somewhere grab them. If not treat your leather boots with Sno-Seal.

Oregon

WKR
I’ve gotten by my 4 trips with cheap Danner pronghorns, gaiters and good socks. Seems I’ve run a greater risk of getting wet jumping out of the boat onto the beach than actually hunting. Couple of my buddies only wear xtra tuffs.
I live and hunt on the Oregon coast so wet really isnt an issue to me.

Oregon

WKR
For Kodiak I would stay with a gortex type hunting boot that works well on wet grassy slopes. When I'm in Kodiak I want a boot that I can get a good grip on that wet grass. Last couple times I went I wore the Salomon GTX boot. My feet stayed dry for the most part, but most important I wasn't sliding down the hill at every step.

Great point. Slippery grass is a bigger issue than wet feet imo

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I would bring a good set of stiff semi mountaineering boots and a set of Wiggys pack waders

Devenk89

Lil-Rokslider
I wore Schnees Granite last October and firmly believe the terrain I went through wouldn't have been handled by a lessor boot. Get a premium boot like Schnees, Kenetrek etc. If you are just hunting from the beach and not climbing like a mountain goat then something less would be fine in my opinion.

I am booked on a boat/lodge based hunt for 2019 also. Same place TBossHSauce went. I plan on taking my Crispi Thors and my Crispi Guide GTX boots with my OR croc gators. May bring my muck boots for camp chores and for fishing/duck hunting, but they will not be on my feet while chasing Blacktails.

joemulkey

FNG
I’d recommend a kentrek my self but that being said I’ve put allot of miles down with extra tough rubber boots. There the best I’ve found for rubber boots period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk