Boots for Kodiak Blacktail late October

Looking for boot suggestions for a late October Kodiak Blacktail Hunt. Currently, I am running the Cabelas Meindl ultra light hunting boot for most of my hunting needs. They have served me well on my 2 elk hunts and dozens of deer hunts. But, I know Kodiak weather is much more extreme and wet than Colorado or my home state. I've owned many different brands of boots and I have never found a leather boot that was truly "waterproof." They are fine when crossing a creek or walking through wet grass, but for long periods of wet weather, every pair of leather boots I have owned begins to leak at some point when subjected to long periods of wet conditions. I was thinking of going with a rubber style boot (like Lacrosse Alpha Burlys), but they are not as comfortable for long hikes. This will be a lodge based hunt, so I will have the chance to dry out gear and space to bring at least one extra pair of boots. Should I stick with the Meindls (along with a gaiter) and bring a pair of rubber boots as well? Or is there a better option? I hate having wet feet. In the Army I was the guy who would pack an extra pair of boots on ruck marches every time, because I hate wet feet.

My hunt is in 2019. So I have time to break things in and try them out. I don't have a lot of gear to buy for this hunt, boots probably being the most expensive item if I need to purchase new ones, but I am trying to spread out purchases. Thanks.

BRWNBR

WKR
Rubber boots is all I have worn on Kodiak deer hunting for the last 20 years. I use insulated lacross. Fit really well and are durable, easy to dry out over heat at night. Makes all the water and wet grasss a non issue. Tried leather once. Went right back to rubber.

EastMT

WKR
Rubber is a good choice if your feet can handle them, I personally have hot feet and will almost have water standing in them at the end of a solid day hiking.

I've tried all kinds of leather boots and was never impressed with waterproof over the long term until I bought the meindl Cabela's Alaska hunters. I'm sure the other 3-4 brands that have a good name are similar as sturdy, but I found these locally. 1 fall goat hunt, 1 February goat hunt, 15 mile hike in sheep hunt, 2 caribou hunts and so far still waterproof and still in good condition. If you get low boots, make sure you have gaiters, they all have a big hole up top! Water off the brush on Kodiak will soak your feet from the top down.

BRWNBR

WKR
I enjoy my alaska hunters for goat and sheep as well. But those are the leather boots I wore for Deer, to stiff of a boot for my liking on those Deer hunts. Hot feet does create an issue however. When I sit with my rubber boots I’ll often times pull them off and hang out glassing with my boots off. Easy to do and helps with swelling if I can elevate them a little.

I took muck boots last year and after day 1 they never left camp, we hunted steep rugged stuff and wet or not, I needed real boots. My L&S Mountain Hunter Elites were what I wore and they worked great and kept me dry with gaiters. I think the gaiters are a must with a normal hunting boot.

I am going back again this year and will not be bring muck boots. I will be upgrading my camp boots/shoes to something more comfortable and waterproof...it was too wet to wear crocs or anything like that outside of the tent.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I took muck boots last year and after day 1 they never left camp, we hunted steep rugged stuff and wet or not, I needed real boots. My L&S Mountain Hunter Elites were what I wore and they worked great and kept me dry with gaiters. I think the gaiters are a must with a normal hunting boot.

I am going back again this year and will not be bring muck boots. I will be upgrading my camp boots/shoes to something more comfortable and waterproof...it was too wet to wear crocs or anything like that outside of the tent.

Yes, he is spot on.....

mcseal2

WKR
This is a hunt that I'm interested in doing in the next few years so I'm interested in the replys. I think my ankles need the support of real boots when hiking so I'll likely be bringing the Kennetrek or Cabelas Alaskan boots plus gaiters for the hiking and hunting. On a podcast I listened to recently about a moose hunt the guy being interviewed said he was working with Sitka on a lace-up boot with a built in waterproof roll down, sleeve to go up to your hip. He had used the discontinued Cabelas Tundra boot and liked them but they had quality control issues. If they come up with something like that that would hold up it might be a good option.

They aren't a stout rubber boot like the Lacrosse but just for camp shoes or similar use I like the Tingley ultralight rubber boots. I like to buy them a size up for camp shoes so they slip on and off easy. They also have a really thin poor insole so upsizing allows me to steal a better one out of another boot I'm not taking on the trip. My original pair of 11's was tight on my calf so I trimmed the top down quite a bit and now they only weigh 20oz for the pair. My other set of 12's I got later weighs 24.5oz. Good camp shoes or creek crossing boots that don't eat up to much of the weight limits. They are uninsulated and dry much faster than Muck boots or similar ones if I sweat in them.

If you need a taller version for occasional creek crossings or getting from a skiff to shore these have worked well for me so far. I haven't had them long enough to really speak on durability but I've stood in a cattle water tank trying to fish a dead bird out of the overflow or shove it through for 35 minutes without a leak. They will get tested more this summer running the river boat catfishing. I run a shallow sandy river with a surface drive Mud Buddy motor and get stuck on occasion. In size 11 the boot and chap combo with the heaviest chap option is 46oz.

Tingley Boots with Yoder Chaps – RidgeLineSupply.com

Last edited:
id say hunting out of a lodge bring what has been working for you and a backup set of rubber boots. i used the Meindel Perfekt hunters in 10 inch boots on Kodiak end of September and worked great. if your looking for a new rubber boot to try ive been using the Muck boot Pursuit Supremes. they are the stiffest sides of all the models and great aggressive bottom treads for rocks. if your able to dry them out at night they should work great.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From experience...the rubber ankle-fits are the best option. The key is moisture. If it saturates your boots through and your feet stay wet, the climate will destroy your feet. Don't be tempted with gators and good hikers unless you have a reliable dry method each day.

If I am deer hunting in Oct, I will wear Mucks all day long and I'll be happier than a pig in shit. If I am goat hunting there, hiking boots, same as I'd wear on any other goat/sheep hunt.

Used Schnee Granite's late October last year. Paired them with Kuiu Yukon gaiters. Wouldn't have been able to do what I did and go where I go with anything less. Feet never got wet. Get a good pair of boots...don't skimp...break them in...and get gaiters.

Kimbersig

WKR
kennetreks worked well for my Kodiak blacktail hunt in September. might have just got lucky but we were hunting high country. it will depend on if you are hunting low or up higher on the hills in October. two pairs of boots might be a good option.

mcseal2

WKR
I watched a show where they were hunting on Kodiak for blacktail this week. They did a boat based hunt and said they had boot driers on the boat. A couple pairs of boots so a guy could leave one on the drier all the time would be a great idea in that scenario.

Beendare

WKR
I wore my seam sealed Soloman GTX's last trip with a kuiu gaiter....worked great. All of my times on Kodiak I wear a waterproof hiking boot- early and late hunts.

I can't wear the rubber boots and do that much hiking...not enough ankle and foot support for me, YMMV

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve shot deer on Kodiak while
I was wearing crocs before too...now that I think about it.

MattB

WKR
Lodge or boat-based hunt, I would bring leather boots (+ gaiters) and maybe 2 pair unless you can definitely dry them overnight.

DRUSS

WKR
I would pack what's most comfortable for you. ×2 you have a option to dry out each night so would use what's most comfortable for you. I live in nw Oregon coastal type hunts. I prefer leather boots. Rubber never has worked well for me. Gaiters help but don't stop all the moisture I learned to endure the moisture or get some sealskinz to wear towards the end of the day with a extra pair of socks, then put on a second dry pair of boots the following day and rotate back and forth. But this is just what works for me

OP
T
Thanks for all the advice. I'm leaning toward 2 pair of leather boots with gaiters. I know I will be able to dry out my boots at night, but will still have a back up pair. I just don't think the rubber boots will work for me while doing that much hiking. I really need the ankle support and even the ankle fit rubber boots don't offer enough of it for me. Flat ground in the swamps they are fine, but for hiking steep terrain, I just see a rolled ankle in my future. Either way I got some time. I need a new pair of rubber boots anyways for my swamp hunts down east, so I may try some Mucks and take them to the mountains with me and see how they do.