AK Sitka with a Traditional Bow

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a dream on mine to take an AK Sitka blacktail with my recurve. That means being able to get close which is the key factor in figure out where and when to go. I would also prefer to hunt when the bucks are hard horned. What area and time would provide the best opportunity for a traditional bowhunter to get to within 30 yards?

I’m leaning towards a Kodiak boat hunt during the rut because I’ll likely be solo but I’m worried about being with gun hunters (had a bad experience with caribou shot that were practically in our lap in QB). Are there any archery only hunt outfits? Any recommendations for charters or lodges anywhere in AK that are more willing to accommodate archery hunters, especially traditional?

slvrslngr

WKR
Can't help with an outfitter, though I seem to remember reading about a boat based outfitter in Traditional Bowhunter a few years back. I can say that getting a Sitka BT with a recurve is totally doable. Stalking them in the alpine in early/mid September or wait for the rut in November and call them in would be your best bets.

You'll have no problem getting 30 yard and in shots on Sitka Blacktails, especially if you go during the rut (Late Oct - Early Nov).

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have many traditional bow hunting friends that use Homer Ocean over and over and over.

slvrslngr

WKR
I have many traditional bow hunting friends that use Homer Ocean over and over and over.

Yup, that's the outfit I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name. They would be my first phone call to get your hunt started.

OP
MAT

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful animal. That's one reason why I want to hunt them, best looking deer on the planet.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
We have been there 4 times with longbows and can't wait for 5th! IMO if cost is no issue go with the boat luxury (I have never done it but read many accounts). Otherwise just hire a float to take you wherever you wish. Conflicts with other hunters usually not an issue as they typically don't overlap camps. We have never seen a hunter other than a Brown Bear hunter and guide came in on us once but never saw them in field.

Go near Nov 1, bring bleat calls, taxidermy ears on your hat and/or Montana or Heads-up decoy and have a blast! greatest place on earth...and yes prettiest deer.

OP
MAT

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice. I'll likely have to do the boat thing since I'm solo as I can't seem to convince anyone else to go. That and being able to sleep at night instead of worrying about ending up inside a grizzly.