California Hunters? Where you at?

San Diego here. Mostly Local D- zone and chasing Elk out of state.

Last edited:

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Roseville. In CA I hunt D5 mostly, sometimes D6 and the X zones when I can draw. I normally shoot at Maya Archers in Roseville at least once a week.

Be back from deployment just in time for archery season. Got B zone as second choice and hopefully D6 if they become available. Otherwise D3-5.

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Ive lived in CA my whole life and moved up to Humboldt County last year.
I really love the area and seems like the hunting opportunities are great

Last edited:

LionHead

WKR
Modesto here hunted D-6 last 4 years got lucky once ..missed 2017 season due to work ...hoping for that X12 in2019 with my preference points .

I've got the D6 rifle opener +3 days on both side of the weekend for a s
cout/hunt.

Usually do solo but I could roll with a partner. Pm for details

Just moved here to the Bay Area (Redwood City) from Kodiak. I’d be stoked to meet up with some folks!

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
Vacaville.

Leaving in about 4 hours for a four day A zone hunt. My buddy is up there already and saw two bucks today while putting stands up. One is a bomber apparently.

After that, it's a B zone backpack hunt for the archery opener in a zone we drew elk tags for in September. Going to be a good year!

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I am guessing you are hunting private for A zone right?

What are some ways get access to private land in A zone? Do you have to know someone or are there hunting clubs/leases that anyone willing to pay can join?

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider

What are some ways get access to private land in A zone? Do you have to know someone or are there hunting clubs/leases that anyone willing to pay can join?

Public land. As far as finding leases, they are around, but getting more and more expensive. Word of mouth is how I've come across them.

desertcj

WKR

I've heard of some. They are so expensive that you could go on several out of state hunts fully funded for the same price...

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Wow really, about how much money would it cost on average to hunt a lease for deer in A zone? Over $1k per year? Over $5k per year?

mireland62887, how was your four day hunt? What did you see?

desertcj

WKR
Wow really, about how much money would it cost on average to hunt a lease for deer in A zone? Over $1k per year? Over $5k per year?

A private deal is just that....a private deal. No telling what you can get a land owner to agree to? The deals I've seen where 3-5k a year...

amassi

WKR

Depends on the ranch and what you get.
Trespass access for archery deer only can be pretty reasonable(less than gas to drive to Colorado and back)
Access to the same ranch for both deer seasons, pig hunting, Turkey hunting, dove hunting can be 5 times that.

Contrary to popular belief, you can still get permission to hunt private property in California especially if your an archery hunter. No one asks anymore

Another option, one of my coworkers was a member of wilderness unlimited and he knew how to use the ranches and consistently killed 2 bucks, a bear and a pig every year so for him it was worth it. A lot of their properties are in A zones so no problem getting tags and start hunting in July

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm in Oakland. I backpack hunt B-zones and do mixed private and public hunts in A and D3-5. There's actually quite a bit of public land in A-zone--it's just miserably hot and usually pretty crowded. Working on an urban/suburban recurve deer hunt in the middle of the Bay Area right now. It feels kinda weird, but still an interesting opportunity. When you live in the city, sometimes you have to think outside the box to maximize hunting opportunity, especially in California.