Kodiak Island Blacktail / duck combo

I have narrowed it down and a buddy of mine and I are going to book a trip with Jeff at Kodiak Combos. He has a few weeks open yet this year. October 8-13 2018 and November 30 to December 5 2018.

Guys that have been there......would either of these weeks be good weeks to go or would one be better than the other?

He also has Nov 4-9 open in 2019....which I would not be opposed to waiting and going in 2019 if that would be a better week than the two he has available this year.

Any insight is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know anything at all about duck hunting, so keep that in mind. Biggest thing that stands out to me about the dates you listed is daylight. The October dates won't be too bad, but late Nov/early Dec you are not going to have very much daylight to work with at all. Like it won't get light until 9:30 or 10 and will get dark again at 3:30-4. Not necessarily a deal breaker (I think Jeff operates out of a lodge, correct??) but you should absolutely know that going into it. Deer won't be rutting in October though, so you'd need to spot and stalk versus trying to call or rattle them in. Early October weather should be a little nicer (likely no snow), although you can have nasty weather on Kodiak any month of the year so no guaruntees there either way.

Sitka blacktail are super fun to hunt, and some of the best eating critters that exist IMO. You should have a blast whenever you decide to go.

OP
Ironmerganser
sorry Rifle....

And Becca......if you were to pick the ideal dates......when would you go? I am all for spot and stalk......

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't hesitate to go in early October if you are rifle hunting and don't mind spot and stalk. You'll have more daylight to work with, and potentially better weather. No idea at all what the duck hunting is like then, or whether it even matters (you could ask Jeff), but if you are just thinking about deer anytime Oct thru mid November would probably be my choice. Later will mean closer to the rut, and less foliage to contend with but also less daylight and (potentially) colder/worse weather....

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely agree with Becca, we hunted Thanksgiving week last year for deer and the days were quite short, our transporter was very adamant that we couldn't be a minute late to the pick up spot about an hour before dark which meant we had to quit hunting about 2 hours before dark had we walked any distance from the beach. Getting daylight at 9 and dark at 430 this made for some really short hunting days, about 5 or 6 hours of hunting time was a little frustrating especially when we lost a couple days to weather.

Oregon

WKR
Dec could have them on the beach and easy hunting. Antlers start dropping in Dec. could easily shed one upon bullet impact or fall.
Late oct is good. Probably climbing to the snow line each morning and hunting high.
I’ve done 4 Kodiak trips and one was over Halloween. Fun hunting Dec or Oct regardless. IF the area has deer.
Use the rainy/windy days to duck hunt. Sitkas are wimps. They hate rain and wind. Sun comes out, so do the deer.

No joke about losing daylight. If memory serves me, middle Nov you lose 18 minutes a day. 9 morning 9 sunset.

TBarron

WKR
I hunted with Jeff last season and we went the last week of October. Over 5 days we had snow 2 days, a complete monsoon 1 day, and 2 days of beautiful weather. We had to climb high to get to the big bucks but almost everyone in our group killed big bucks. I would look at October dates any later and it’s going to be colder with shorter days. Jeff’s an awesome dude and you will have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
Yep, daylight is a biggie, but bigger yet, literally, are the bears. I try to only hunt the deer when the bears are on salmon.

Too many close calls, loathe 'em.

I hunted with Jeff last season and we went the last week of October. Over 5 days we had snow 2 days, a complete monsoon 1 day, and 2 days of beautiful weather. We had to climb high to get to the big bucks but almost everyone in our group killed big bucks. I would look at October dates any later and it’s going to be colder with shorter days. Jeff’s an awesome dude and you will have a great time!

I was on this hunt too. Epic time! Just got these ducks back too that we shot with Jeff. Can’t wait to go back!
524d4bb7975d72b283b4c94a61feab08.jpg
98b136e3ae2fbd1c6786b207c21df1ac.jpg

TBarron

WKR
715e04b17964fbd35d496ae7b9bf5084.jpg
aaf3fd0f0a1482165c192859ef3ac23d.jpg

Here’s some pics of the finished mount of the buck from the hunt with Jeff

OP
Ironmerganser
Oh man...that buck is a stud TravKatQ!!!!!!! Got me fired up!!
Getting ready to sign the contract to head up and hunt/fish with Jeff Oct 28-Nov 2 2019. First AK trip and I can't wait!!
Anyone have a gear list for me?

BRWNBR

WKR
Duck hunting gets better the later you go, depending on what kinda ducks your targeting. Some ducks like harlequin and buffleheads, surfs are there most the time.
Deer, as everyone has said the later you go the quicker you need to hunt! Lol transporter based has its advantages, late season a tent is better as you are always in the field hunting. So for a transported hunt i’d go on the early dates. Also don’t let the calendar tell you Kodiak will have snow or cold. It doesn’t seem to care what month it is down there. One thanksgiving I had single digits the next it was 55 degrees and we were loosing meat! Been froze out and snowed out on goat hunts in October only to have it all thaw and warm up for November.

The only thing consistent on the island is the inconsistencies and the brush being frustrating. But man. It’s a wonderful place.