CA Blacktails - Calling in bucks?

SloMoPete

FNG
Hi all, Im a newish hunter trying to get some meat, hunting south A zone.

Does anyone have experience calling in bucks with fawn distress calls? I was planning on trying it out for archery season, but (I think?) my concern is Ill be calling in, then accidentally spooking does.

If does do come in, would bucks possibly trail behind?

Thanks!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never known anyone to be successful calling in bucks that time of year. In November it is much more possible.

I think you will spook more game then you will call in.

Yeah I think early season would be rough trying to call them in. I’ve called in bucks after season with a fawn in distress call while calling for bears. I think it was the doe that was coming to the call but as soon as I hit the call I had a doe and a really nice buck bolt straight towards me...pretty cool to see.

i think you would have a far better chance of calling in a predator.
I have never heard of anyone successfully calling in blacktails in california. I know it is a tactic used in Alaska and BC for coastal blacktails but just never heard of it here.

KClark

WKR
I have done it but never on purpose. The first was a large forky in velvet, A zone probably during August. Since then it's happened while calling coyotes 3-4 more times, seems like the bucks followed does in probably because it was during the rut. I've had does come in many times, usually they take a quick look around and stott out.

LionHead

WKR
I've used distress calls after observing a doe and she didn't react to it at all. It not what I got the call for anyway but i just wanted to see what would happen... absolutely nothing

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
We have done it a number of times on Blacktail, but it is a fawn distress call, so it works better if there are some fawns in the area. The does come in to protect the fawn. The bucks follow the does. Blacktails sneak in until they pinpoint the source of the call. I have never seen Blacktails come charging in like Whitetails do in the peak of the rut, but I am sure it does happen under the right circumstances. Works better in the last half of the season. I did not believe it would work, but if you stay hidden and keep calling you may be surprised.