First Time DIY Drop Caribou

cocky84

WKR
We will be going with them in less than a month for the second time. First time was moose, this time caribou. We are staying under the 50lb limit and not getting a gear load. Two of us. We will be using sawtooth. At first i thought the 50lb limit would be tough but after getting all the gear we NEEDED. Then stuffing small heavy stuff in our pockets, 50lbs is very doable. Ill have more info for you in a month.

worx53

WKR
Did a moose trip last year in September near there. couple items that stand out- 8 man tipi for 2 of us with titanium stove was the best decision ever. wetterlings small axe used every day with a trioxane per day split in half to start that thing in the morning and every night. I used thin kuiu 145 merino under Yukon rain pants when it was cold and they were perfect. I had a cirrus puffy with Yukon over it when really cold and it was a little thin- I would take a heavier puffy on the next trip. gators were a must without waders and they worked great.

mproberts

WKR
Anyone know the best way to look for current weather reports on the north slope Dalton highway area, or is that just not a thing?

mproberts

WKR
Great resource... and I'll take note of this...

36 degrees -- "no insects recorded today"

41 degrees -- *"nice drop in temperature overnight made today nearly bug-free"

44 degrees --* "The temperature rose just enough to reanimate the mosquitos"

56 degrees --* "the mosquitos were positively ravenous"

61 degrees --* "Heat built up quickly today and doing fieldwork in the obligatory bug jacket made avoiding suffering nearly insufferable"

68 degrees --* "The temperature rose steadily throughout the day, bringing the mosquitos into quite a frenzy"

AKBorn

WKR
A couple of friends and I are in the beginning stages of a Caribou hunt in Sept. 2019 or 2020. We are interested in something similar to the 40 mile Air deal and we are thinking we would want the extra gear drop. I have a Cabelas instinct Outfitter tent with stove jack with fold up stove and was wondering if that would be a good choice and we could also bring a light weight back packing tent if we needed it?

Thanks in advance for any other ideas!

I can't tell you about a Brooks Range caribou hunt, as I always hunt with 40 Mile Air. I like a comfy camp, and always take the extra gear load (200 pounds) and 1 hunting partner. If you want to shoot me an email at [email protected], would be happy to share my gear list and other info with you. Good luck in your planning, AK caribou hunts happen in some beautiful country.