One for Alaskan Bob

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day five
I'm tired but know we are taking a trip back to the top today. Shawn has to tag out today because it'll take all of day six to get to meat horns and camp back to our sandbar. I'm chafed pretty good carrying Eric's bou back and hope I can hang with these other guys today. I pull my boots its the first morning thier not frozen its then I remember I'm living a dream smile and know I'm all in 110% today no regrets. 630 we hit the trail knowing it's going to be an all day grind. Good thing is its not dark until 1130 plenty of daylight to make it happen. Get to the top finally, tallest peak around can see for a lest 20 miles. Day before 250 caribou near this peak, today a solitary cow. Shit now what? Well I try and talk him into shooting the cow. Look you'll still be a success. Looks tender and tasty. Easy packout. No taxidermy bill. Hell no he ain't buying any lies I'm trying to spin. We move to separate sides to glass, we can see forever nothing moving anywhere. I get lost in my own thoughts. Wow I'm lucky to be enjoying the sights on top of this mountain. Hell my old man will never get to see this. Thoughts drift to my buddies lost in Iraq and how we never got that great western adventure in before we left. Than to Alaskan Bob and the kindness and wisdom he gave me in our short friendship. No this won't end like this we need a chance just a chance. And then I saw them.
4 or 5 miles out they appeared out of no where and are headed slightly away from us. Being so far away there was a small chance we could beat them to the far drainage but we would have to go all out and all in because it put us another 1.5 or 2 miles further from camp. It was a risk but if we don't try there will be regrets. I've only pushed that hard a few other times it was an all out death march but we beat them. Of course at the last minute they changed direction and we had to use a prefect stalk in wide open tundra to cover 600 yards but we did it. Shawn layed down a perfect shot at 237 yards and we had our third and final caribou bull
e73d5746573e361df2bb3cfaf4982d9c.jpg
5c1a44b0ead3d2165e2f187ef6f7222c.jpg
oh how good that moment felt until I pulled the GPS and saw 4.3 miles to camp.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I learned on this trip, was bushwacking on the tundra can make for a long long day. Shawn shot his bull at 345 so we should have plenty of time to get it processed and packed out the way we came in but my tracker said that 4.3 stright line was really about 7 miles following the solid ground.
6ba522bcfeb5e1b3e0ee4150955d6be6.jpg
Shawn split his skull cap for the trip out so much easier to cross country like that. well let's do this
2de8f0510eb83b2c6dde06fc5877b5b9.jpg
sun's out so bugs are out buzzing up eyes and nose thankfully i brought the headnet. Of course the first mile was all up hill and when we got to the top bou were every where. Some bulls sky lined themselves and I put my walking sticks on my head and went straight at them. Every time they looked up I'd just shake my head a little and they'd go back to feeding got within 65 yards before they got spooky. Anyway we hit camp about 1100 and we were beat. Eric opened the flap and yelled caribou were streaming out the drainage but I already knew they would come by once we tagged out. Stid said once you pack one back the whole herd is in camp the next day. So true buddy.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day six Hell day
Today my body was screaming to stay in the bag for awhile longer. Three caribou(had to leave all meat on the bone along with ribs) cape, horns ,and camp back to our sandbar going to be a full day. I noticed I had brought way to much food and started into a double fest of breakfast skillet. A quick satellite phone call to Julie to confirm pick up and give a weather report confirmed our fears. No flying in the after noon due to the presidents visit to kotzebue.
Well that gives us some time to use those fishing poles we have been dragging around all week. We discussed options and decided to take a light load( prove to be poor choice later as it meant more trips) down the first trip while exploring routes and checking water levels.
While glassing the bar for bears we noticed during our trip to the top yesterday another party was dropped on our landing strip. Just great hope this doesn't screw up thier hunt.
The first trip down was uneventful but strenuous. Three river crossings but water level had dropped a ton and we were able to stay out of the brush. Kuiu gaiters worked really well to keep my almost dry boots from becoming water logged again. I really should have worked out more this trip reserve energy just wasn't there. Met up with the other camp and let them know what was happening and that we would be on opposite end waiting on a pickup the next day. They informed us a huge blonde grizzly came by thier camp at a 100 yards that morning. Sweet packed it all down to the river to lose it to a bear on the last day.
4897a2020202b5391226da4177c3c026.jpg

Found a tree/bush and hung some meat bags and deployed our bear fence. Back up the hill for load two! It was brutal walking up or down the grade in that deeper tundra I was worried an ankle would give out or a knee twist before it was over. Thankfully that didn't happen and the second trip was uneventful as well and all meat but two sets of ribs were on the sand bar. That just left camp, two capes, two sets of ribs, three sets of antlers.
46fb51e2382384ec6f5b12ae673baa69.jpg

Made it back to camp and we were spent. Made some mountain house and tried to refuel. Could we leave the meat and bring the rest down in the morning? No! without us down there really increases the chance of a bear messing with the meat and its not fair to the other camp down there to leave our meat unattended that close to them. I knew I probably only had one more trip left in me that night. We still had tons of stuff left to bring down the hill, it would take a huge push to get it done in one last load.
a49de44aa4919b6359d93b31952a0a8c.jpg
maybe it'll all fit?
I've never put more stuff in/on my long hunter I knew the duplex could take it if I could some how get it on my back on make it to my feet. Bag full lid full grabbit moved from frame to bag and full. Set of ribs tied on with 550 cord antlers lashed on top of that. Tripod and damn fishing poles.
28d8f483e8d80709e7ddc44e705cbd35.jpg
Easily over 100 lb threshold and rough terrain ahead. Put my best game face on and go to shouldering the pack.
f5f102633e09008a6274aadf83bf161b.jpg
Beverly hillbillies looked more organized than my pack did but the load stayed centered and I made my feet.
I just kept telling myself " the mind controls the body, the body doesn't control the mind" and a favorite if you have kids " just keep swimming, just keep swimming". Thank you uncle sam for teaching me I can endure much more than when my body wants to quit if my willpower is rock solid.
I didn't fall over when I finally made the meat stash but I had pushed my body hard and knew I was in for long recovery process the next couple days. Happy we had pulled this off without any regrets.
14.5 hours to make 3 trips at just over 3 miles round trip. Lucky the days are so long or I might of had to pull the headlamp out for the first time of the trip.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day seven
Go home day
What a bitter sweet day. We came, we saw, we push ourselves to the limit and were successful. I was physically drained but sad to be leaving such a wild and beautiful place. Hey I don't catch a fish yet
2b5ef6652cc430bafc00853cf5d7df97.jpg
they don't grow them in utah like this!
fbd242e92cda6c645930d58aa514b565.jpg
wish I could of tried fresh fish but they weren't bitting and couldn't hook one in the mouth.
d4ac63b56525ec82bfb8ab534e517895.jpg
look at the teeth on these things primal.
8f67ba954af9b3921193247f70a41587.jpg
put that little guy back too to spawn and die and feed the bears.
fe9efb16b80dca05741365fe7f7b5a29.jpg

ffd73a91bb8b50d8a68d169a74d13440.jpg
took a picture for my wife that kinda captures how small Alaska can make you feel
751e9535014154dd340ba9af6218fb5e.jpg
plane came and my epic adventure in Alaska was really over.
I had fulfilled all my requirements for the prefect trip. Flew in a tiny plane, saw a grizzly bear ( should had thought this one out better haha) caught a big fish, and left with no regrets. Killing a great bull was just bonus and a reason to force myself to see what was just over the next hill and then the next one. Saw some musk ox fight, experienced some wild weather swings, and enjoyed a week with some brothers I don't see nearly enough.
Thank you Bob Weaver for selling me on Alaska and you were right about so many things but mainly that one trip will not be enough and only lit a fire to see more. Alaskan blacktail deer anyone?
Anyone considering a trip like this JUST DO IT! ! I saved $50 a check, family never missed that amount and before I knew it the trip was a reality.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd love to fly with northern trophy air again. While the caribou didn't move much Matty put us in a place we could make our own luck. Matty is a great pilot who truly enjoys flying. It's so much easier to relax and enjoy the sights when you have complete faith in guy holding the yolk. Julie was a great resource to help get every thing packed up and ready to go on Alaskan air lines.pm me if your thinking of hunting out of kotzebue and I'll give you all the details I know.
1dc7988234c0137dbec5a8d7a882414d.jpg
81040c5a4b83f97efcf92e4b9feb4f9b.jpg

Everything in kotzebue is flown in or shipped up by barge. Be prepared to pay a premium. Sue's boarding house was just that clean bed and shared shower and toilet. We had some great food at the baymount restaurant plus it's a great view of the ocean.
6f5ec91be79db00105d1e87456a559a7.jpg
I apologize to anyone that had to sit by me on the plane or use my terminal but I was beat.
38a1cf4d95ba03542156dc671d78532b.jpg
76 lbs of some of the most tender meat I've ever eaten. Family was happy at dinner time

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hell ya - great story so far. Curious to hear your thoughts on the stove problems.
Bill I'm not really sure. I'd tested multiple times around here and after warming the stove pipe up it drafted pretty good. I'm thinking it might be partly that my pipe is the smaller diameter but is 7' long. Also wood in Alaska isn't the best kinda sponge like. We did try and dry it next to the stove we also brought a few pieces of 2x4 in with us that didn't burn very well either. Tons of humidity in the air and cold air possibly compounded it. Kinda at a loss of what to try but it pissed me off when I could of really used it it performed so poorly. Ideas anyone?

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saving this to discuss our gear collection and add pictures if Eric ever sends me his collection.sorry for lacking photo camera was ruined in my failed stream crossing

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Saving this to discuss our gear collection and add pictures if Eric ever sends me his collection.sorry for lacking photo camera was ruined in my failed stream crossing

great story and pictures. thanks for sharing.

Stid2677

WKR
Can't help but believe that your Uncle Bob's can-do spirit was channeled into you. The way you stuck to it from planning, to replanning and making it all happen. That is the Alaskan Way!!!

I look forward to reading about your next Alaskan adventure!!! Because once in a lifetime is simply not enough.

Jdog

WKR
I love AK--cannot wait to return.

So awesome to see your trip turned out so well.

AK is gravitating and exhilarating...

Craig4791

WKR
Glad it all worked out and great Bulls! Congrats. I am on my way home now from my bou trip.

Happy for you and your buddies. I am in the Arctic right now, it is always an awe inspiring place. Good job man, glad Matty Owen gave you a good trip.

Shrek

WKR
Congratulations ! I'm glad it came together for you at the last minute. I have to believe it all was for the best in the end.