One for Alaskan Bob

colonel00

WKR
Glad everything worked out. Looks like it was a great trip. Don't fret too much about not getting to eat that spawned out chum but it would have been mighty fine on the wall :D

Also, on the DIY stove, I've had similar issues but just roll with it. Last week I was in Denali and had split some dry firewood splits (probably birch I think) but even then it would smoke up the tent sometimes if I didn't manage the fire just right. I was actually going to start a thread later this week on the very subject. There are many who use retail or DIY stoves but very little discussion on best practices and other tips on managing a fire. My main issue of late is that I will get a fire going and it starts burning out of control to the point where it's freaking hot in the tent but it eats up the wood quickly and the stove and pipe are glowing. Unfortunately if I choke it down a little, the fire tends to smolder out a bit and will back-smoke when I try to feed it. I think there is the obvious learning curve with each stove but a good discussion on here may help everyone find better ways to keep warm without becoming smoked meat.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes I did think about the fact that's the biggest fish I've held yet . Beautiful fish for sure, maybe a replica? Taxidermy bill from this trip is already cutting into my future hunting funds. Caribou are such a distinct and beautiful animal he deserves a shoulder mount. Going have to have my horns artificially focked because I don't bring anything for velvet preservation duh. Great idea for stove discussion( wood stove best practices in general discussing please contribute) I've thought about buying a comercial stove if it would preform like I needed. I will be installing a rear zipper so I can air out and access that area easier.

Last edited:

Bob L.

FNG
Great writeup and way to endure!!
You did Alaskan Bob proud and thank you for serving our country.

Awesome write up real. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a bou hunt to AK. I'll definitely be taking you up on the info offer.
What herd were you hunting?

Thanks, and congrats on the great bulls!

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course no trip is complete without taxidermy drama. Finally got her to get started on it only took a year.
ced011b94d0aa237e816350dfdf0c5ee.jpg
Now I just have to find a spot for him. Hate my low ceilings

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome write up real. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a bou hunt to AK. I'll definitely be taking you up on the info offer.
What herd were you hunting?

Thanks, and congrats on the great bulls!
This was unit 23 too bad it's only for a special few to hunt it now on federal land. Must have been a hell of a meeting between Obama and the tribal members

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Marshmstr

Lil-Rokslider
Great story....I'm ready to go now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on a great hunt, thanks for sharing. Caribou has always been one of my dream hunts, hopefully in a few years. Trying to plan on making my first trip to Alaska this spring for archery black bear

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone was just pmd me about my caribou trip so I thought I'd bump it up so they could find it.
Down side is it really hits home that I need a return trip sooner rather than later.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk