Brooks Range outfitters

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Brooks Range Aviation

Hello, long time lurker, but haven't posted much.

I just have a few questions for you guys that have flown with Brooks Range outfitters out of Bettles. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is our first trip to Alaska. We will be going up for Caribou.

There are 4 of us going and we will be taking 2 planes out of Bettles. We would be allowed 450lbs per person. We average about 185lbs per person. That leaves approx. 250 lbs of gear, food, meat, etc

#1 How did you guys get from Fairbanks to Bettles? Did you rent a truck or did you take the commuter flight they offer? Only allowed 40 lbs per person on that flight with wrights air service. Im thinking driving so we can pick up our food and supplys.

#2 Did you ship your gear or check it?

#3 What did you bring for food?

#4 Did you use a shipper for meat and horns for the way back?

If anybody has a gear list that worked good for them I am open for anything!

Thanks you!

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just so you are aware, Bettles is not road accessible. The only way to get there is by plane or boat. Some Bettles based transporters might be willing to pick you up via plane in Coldfoot (which is road accessible, on the Dalton Highway) but you would have to ask your transporter if that's an option, and it might involve additional cost. Driving from Fairbanks to Coldfoot will be a 6 to 9 hour drive over rough roads depending on weather and road conditions.

I have not hard of Brooks Range outfitters, did you mean Brooks Range Aviation? If so, they are a first class operation.

Plan to purchase anything (supplies, food, meat boxes or crates, etc) you will need in Fairbanks. Bettles is a tiny community with very little for sale...not even sure if they even had an official store when we were there last. Do NOT try to fly Wrights or any other commercial airline with isobutane or jetboil fuel... It's illegal and the FAA can find you heavily if you get caught.BRA had some available for purchase in Bettles when we flew with them, but be sure to call and double check.

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice! I meant to say Brooks Range Aviation. This is going to be an experience, but scratching my head quite a bit at the moment. thanks again!

What Becca said. Also, BRA will fly out to pump station #5 on the Haul road and pick you up there. It's a fair amount closer to FB (pretty much just dead east of Bettles), if you do decide to drive.

I thought a picture of a Brooke Range Aviation plane might be appropriate for this thread.....

image_zps1hgba4as.jpeg

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again for the help! What did you guys take for tents. My wall tents will be obviously too heavy so looking at upgrading.

RyanC

WKR
I second AK Troutbum on the tent recommendation except for 4 people I would go with the 8 man version. No need to be cramped or uncomfortable on a caribou hunt:cool: My rule of thumb for a base camp tent is double the capacity for the number of people going.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
great rule of thumb RyanC. "Double the capacity for the number of people going".

A 6 person is surprisingly roomy, 4 people will fit just fine. You'll only be in it when sleeping or weathered in anyhow. Bring a separate shelter of some sort to store gear, like a tipi.

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
A 6 person is surprisingly roomy, 4 people will fit just fine. You'll only be in it when sleeping or weathered in anyhow. Bring a separate shelter of some sort to store gear, like a tipi.

Perfect. that was my next question! Thanks for all the replies so far!

You guys just take the basic fold out camping chairs and table?

When doing a drop camp caribou hunt, I tend to go fat and take all the creature comforts. Pretty much exactly the opposite of backpack hunts. So the short answer is yes. I also tend to gain weight when I do these hunts.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Brooks Range Caribou 043 resized.jpgBrooks Range Caribou 043 resized.jpgView attachment 29707I've flown out for caribou with BRA. I'm from Anchorage so we drove up to Fairbanks and flew into Bettles on Wright's Air. I shipped gear up ahead of time in wax boxes that we used later to bring home meat. Ship your cheaper and replaceable gear up a month ahead of time using standard postal service, as its the most reliable. I say to ship your "replaceable" gear just in case a box doesn't show up and you have the scramble for new stuff a week before you fly out. Check all your essential gear.

For food we brought good old Mountain House and supplemented it with some fresh items. Of course coffee, tea, and hot lemonade are essential.

We brought all of our meat back to Anchorage in wax boxes. We bone out our meat in BRA's hanger the night before we flew back to Fairbank. BRA has a kitchen with some large counters in the back of the hanger and a couple of big freezers we were able to rotate meat through to get a good chill. My hunting partner was from Missouri so we packed his meat up in a couple insulated fish boxes for flying back south. If you don't plan on officially scoring your caribou then go ahead an split the skull plate of the rack for shipping. This will save you big bucks for getting them home. I just coupled a two boxes together to ship the antlers in. Put a couple marker lines across the skull plate before you cut them so your taxidermist can align them back up correctly.

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
We are going to be taking our rifles for the first time up there. thanks

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 29708View attachment 29708View attachment 29707I've flown out for caribou with BRA. I'm from Anchorage so we drove up to Fairbanks and flew into Bettles on Wright's Air. I shipped gear up ahead of time in wax boxes that we used later to bring home meat. Ship your cheaper and replaceable gear up a month ahead of time using standard postal service, as its the most reliable. I say to ship your "replaceable" gear just in case a box doesn't show up and you have the scramble for new stuff a week before you fly out. Check all your essential gear.

For food we brought good old Mountain House and supplemented it with some fresh items. Of course coffee, tea, and hot lemonade are essential.

We brought all of our meat back to Anchorage in wax boxes. We bone out our meat in BRA's hanger the night before we flew back to Fairbank. BRA has a kitchen with some large counters in the back of the hanger and a couple of big freezers we were able to rotate meat through to get a good chill. My hunting partner was from Missouri so we packed his meat up in a couple insulated fish boxes for flying back south. If you don't plan on officially scoring your caribou then go ahead an split the skull plate of the rack for shipping. This will save you big bucks for getting them home. I just coupled a two boxes together to ship the antlers in. Put a couple marker lines across the skull plate before you cut them so your taxidermist can align them back up correctly.

Thank you! very helpful!

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
What unit does brooks range aviation usually hunt out of? thanks

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
I have some fond memories of Brooks Range Aviation. My sheep hunt in 2005 was delayed by the smoke from forest fires. Drank wayyyyy too much Crown waiting days for the smoke to clear. Not much else to do there.

Vandal 44

WKR
Thnksno, Please post your experience, best of luck and be safe. I am planning a Caribou hunt in 2018 with my son in-law and two other buddies, so we are doing as much research as possible. You have to love the Rokslide Community