Unit closure alaska

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
BTW, the video is downloading now and needs about 20 minutes before its live. If you support the message, please tell your Alaska hunting buddies to view and pass along for maximum effectiveness on this fading opportunity to record your voice in this fight.

Copy and paste the link to any and all forums you know of with Alaska caribou hunters looking for information on the closure.

I'm headed to the Kobuk and Noatak rivers as soon as the rain lets up, so good luck and i'll check in within a few weeks.

peace

bmrfish

WKR
Have a great trip Larry and come home in one piece. Hopefully by the time you get back this nightmare will be over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One thing that all you guys who are hunting up in the NW this year should know:

It's been released by the state that it IS LEGAL to hunt federal land in GMU 23 BELOW mean high water line.

What this means is that anywhere you would normally hunt that is on federal lands within the closure is absolutely legal to harvest caribou as long as you shoot from below the highest obvious waterline (debris line in the brush) to the river. The state owns this boundary within federal lands, as well as the river itself.

What this also means is a HUGE warning. If you shoot a caribou on a gravel bar and it doesn't down immediately and wanders into the tundra beyond the mean high water line, you'll be in violation of federal closed lands and could be cited.

But landing on gravel or mud bars below this line is also legal.

To my guys I'd say trust the plan as it stands and avoid these areas if possible. But if you do, make sure the animal is downed quickly as to avoid trespass violations.

Document your killsites with photos and grid coordinates to make enforcement easier if checked.

Film as much of your Kotzebue experience and the field experience as possible. If you get usable footage I could use it to fill the documentary strength.

later

KJH

WKR
I was eventually able to get on the line and speak support for reconsidering the closure and reopening the federal lands. I appreciate your support Larry and I too support BHA. Closure to stop 600 caribou from being harvested and from pilots is politically correct junk.

GPN

FNG
Only 3 voices on behalf of the non-local hunter were provided at this meeting: myself in person, Kyle Hilderbrand (NE), and Andrew Cook (MN).

Also heard was Rod Arno (AOC) and Mark Richards (RHAK)

this youtube video is a snapshot of my part. I spoke for myself as a hunter in support of equal access for hunting caribou on federal public lands in Alaska. Since I have not yet been voted in as Executive Director of the Alaska Chapter Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, I chose to speak on behalf of all non-local hunters who want rights to harvest caribou in GMU 23 on federal public lands.

[video=youtube;stFFPKMcHVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stFFPKMcHVo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Please remember to speak your voice about this important precedent setting issue surrounding WSA16-01.

The last chance for public comment will be on July 25th (Barrow public meeting). Do it guys, its important, and I cant fight this fight alone. We need support.

This meeting cost me $2600, which covered travel, food and lodging from Fairbanks to Kotzebue for two people (myself and cameraman). These are examples of why member support is so crucial for the Alaska Chapter BHA. The state is HUGE and logistics are extremely spendy. I will never make a habit of asking for financial support...but in this case we need membership to help us continue to fight for issues that you care about as hunters on public lands in Alaska.

Larry Bartlett
alaska bha at Backcountry Hunters and Anglers

Idaho resident, Alaska hunter and BHA member here. I called in to the Barrow conference last night to ask the FSB to reconsider their decision. I argued there was no biological justification for the closure and that decisions about herd health should be based on the best scientific information available and not just local knowledge. From a strict head count perspective, testimony appeared to be in favor of reopening. Supporters of the closure certainly spent more time expressing their points of view. One subsistence hunter also suggested that the closure be applied to GMU 26 in the future so I don't think we've heard the last of this.

Maverick940

Banned
Idaho resident, Alaska hunter and BHA member here. I called in to the Barrow conference last night to ask the FSB to reconsider their decision. I argued there was no biological justification for the closure and that decisions about herd health should be based on the best scientific information available and not just local knowledge. From a strict head count perspective, testimony appeared to be in favor of reopening. Supporters of the closure certainly spent more time expressing their points of view. One subsistence hunter also suggested that the closure be applied to GMU 26 in the future so I don't think we've heard the last of this.

No surprises here. It's an ongoing theme that's been happening exponentially the past 2-3 decades, to severely reduce non-resident opportunity at the State and Federal level. Going to be more of the same from here on out. In the beginning of it all, you can thank President Nixon and President Carter for your lost hunting opportunities in Alaska.

bmrfish

WKR
Got clarification on the reconsideration process at the Barrow meeting last night.

Staff will prepare a report summarizing testimony and their analysis.
Report will be provided to subsistence board who will be given time to review.
Board will then have a closed meeting to discuss and vote. So we are probably looking at mid to late August for a decision.
We also have to do the math on counting votes. It takes 5 of 8 votes. It is doubtful that the three subsistence users will change their votes. The bureau of Indian Affairs almost always sides with the natives. So that is 4 to 4 at best. Not over til it's over I guess.
So it looks like we won't know until just about the time we have to head north. And the chances of reversal do not appear promising. Wish I had a more favorable assessment.
Given this my party is leaning toward bailing. Better to go poke some elk with sharp sticks than to go on a caribou fly over photo safari with sketchy prospects for success.

Maverick940

Banned
Got clarification on the reconsideration process .......

Staff will prepare a report .........
Report will be provided to subsistence board who will be given time to review.
Board will then have a closed meeting to discuss and vote. It is doubtful that the three subsistence users will change their votes. The bureau of Indian Affairs almost always sides with the natives.
......... the chances of reversal do not appear promising.

Welcome to Alaska. These cultural issues are old news. Been going on for a long, long time. Expect much more of the same in the future. Bottom line; don't wait to hunt Alaska, as it's only going to become worse.

KJH

WKR
Federal lands are federal lands and closing these to citizens of the USA is plain wrong, especially without anything more than cultural bias coupled with political correctness. I don't like the herd being smaller, but non-subsistence hunting isn't going to make the population get bigger. It appeared the real complaint is how much harder it is now to hunt Caribou and how much more it costs to hunt them. Tell me about it... my caribout meat is about $67 a lb. :cool:

There isn't anything out there (that isn't speculation and heresay) which makes a subsistence hunt easier and cheaper if non-locals can't hunt or fly over federal lands. This isn't the first time the recorded population has fallen and it recovered without banning non-local hunting and barring citizens the use of their federal lands.

If its closed to one citizen it needs to be closed to all... After all cultural issues are about fairness and equality. Let's be fair then. I have the utmost respect for cultural heratige, but to make it more important than freedom of others is textbook discrimination towards me and others like me. That's not equal, nor fair.

This isn't about not harvesting a caribou, its about denying the citizens their rights to use and enjoy the lands while recreating in the method of their choice.

The last time I was boning out my meat in Kotzebue, I had two older ladies ask for some of it because "they can't get it, because they don't have anyone who hunts it for them because the kids are too lazy". I happily donated some of it. I think most, if not all, non-local hunters would do the same. Doesn't this do the same thing as subsistence hunting plus bring economic benefit to the area? Of course it does... That is a win-win.

Could it be that the FSB is looking at this as a method to reduce non-residents, instead of looking for a win-win situation... maybe, I don't know.

Its losing a little bit at a time, and not enjoying freedom as it was intended to be. I'm frustrated and my rant is over.

Maverick940

Banned
KJH:

Like I said in a previous post on this topic, you can thank President Nixon and President Carter for your past, present and future losses of hunting opportunities in Alaska.

Maverick

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any reports on the migration? Are they close to moving out of the hunting area?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just got back guys.

We flew for 2.5 hours to reach the front of the Herd moving west and slowly south from the northern side.

I got dropped off on the north side where we saw the most caribou (about 15 total animals in about 30 miles of river flight).

I floated for 70 miles and saw about 250 caribou, mostly cows and calves with some shooters (10 or so maybe).

I had all but given up after I let several bulls go for the welfare of the migration (stewardship i reckon). I woke up the last day to heavy fog...heard grunting and splashing, looked out the tent flap and saw a solo bull walking up by my boat in camp.

Downed it...plane came to get me that night and dropped me on the South side in the upper Kelly river. Not a caribou track in sight and the weather was 79 degrees and sunny.

Cared for the meat another few days and dragged to the Noatak. The lowest water year in my recent memory of that region...and the caribou are about 2 weeks late this year.

My gut tells me the weather is increasingly warmer this time of year, so caribou migration is slower when its above 60 degrees.

The jest is this:

Plan to pay a little more to reach the herd, but they are reachable from Kotz and my groups who didn't cancel should do fine with hard hunting.

Dont pass up on opportunity this year, you might only get one or two shots.

Not much water yet on the south side and mose northern options are slim too. Let your pilot help you decide which option is best, but dont be alarmed if your prices go up slightly to cover the extra flying time to reach the herd.

I'll compile an epic video of this journey, including several trips to the region and a strong Backcountry Hunter theme. I'll be able to focus on the vid after hunting season in Alaska, so i'll be dark until Oct/Nov. Stay tuned if you want to know more about this thread and the current status of these animals.

VernAK

WKR
Thanks for the update Larry!

Heavy rains forecast for much of that area this weekend......that could change the entire picture.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
fo sho. the caribou still need to get over the pass so maybe the wet will cool things down a bit.

chucko

FNG
I am headin to kotz sept 9 to hunt with northern air trophy and matt owen.I have hunted with nat for 10 years and I am a lifelong Alaskan. I carefully and meticously take care of every ounce of meat I harvest as that is what my family subsists on throughout the year.Matt Owen and all of the air transporters in kotz take great care to not put hunters in known subsistence hunting areas and I have never seen a subsistence hunter in 10yrs.We all know that the unit 23 closure is discrematory and biased.I sincerely encourage everyone who has booked a hunt to continue through with it.Matt is a awesome pilot and will work his butt off to put you in the best possible spot for success and if you don't go your chances are zero.I have called Lisa Murkowski Dan Sullivan Don Young and Ms Jewell let em know how you feel all I can say is just go huntin have fun work hard and you might be successful that is all we can ask for anyway.

KJH

WKR
Good luck Chucko. I have hunted with Matt and Julie as well and had great experiences. They have never let me down.

I can say that I've never seen a subsistence hunter either... The transporters there (including NAT) go far out of their way to make sure there are no conflicts, and the whole closure situation is agenda motivated and denies US citizens the ability to use federal lands.

I hope your hunt goes well.