Beware of booking hunts

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
I received a phone call Saturday while enroute to my deer hunting lease. While I was driving down the turnpike, I received a phone call from an outfitter/service from Alaska. To be honest I had forgotten that I had left this outfitter a message. Anyways, conversation ensues and goes along quite nicely. I ask alot of the normal questions and when I asked if there have been any problems or issues with service, I would like to hear about them, because I will look into their business record and reputation prior to any deposits. First stumbling block and alot of fast talking. It jogged my memory about something I thought I had read online about this business, but wouldn't be able to verify until the next evening when I got home to my desktop.

Low and behold, my mind is still retaining its sharpness and as I went thru my notes and saved sites, I did come across several complaints and some issues with this outfitter. So, I chalk it up to ok...could happen to anyone I suppose, complaints are often two sided. So, I sit down and do some more reading today and I get a memory jog about the closure of unit 23 for non-residents to caribou. I start thinking about Saturday conversation, and yes....the service was attempting to book my group and I into a hunting area that is closed to non-resident hunters. No wonder the hard sales pitch on Saturday. Unless something has changed with unit 23, I find this very disturbing and felt strongly enough to put out this heads up to others.

I do not wish to post this outfit service, but will do so thru the pm system.

Caveat emptor, my friends. Do your leg work and research, and keep good notes.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only federal land is closed in 23. Outfitters have scrambled all season to get hunters out. I'd be sure to discuss options but I wouldn't do a complete write off just because they are in 23

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Ok and good to know. This should have been something that was talked about via phone at the very least. Thanks for that info.

Bambistew

WKR
Only federal land is closed in 23. Outfitters have scrambled all season to get hunters out. I'd be sure to discuss options but I wouldn't do a complete write off just because they are in 23

Roughly 90% of unit 23 is federal land, and the majority of the remainder is private (native owned), there is very little state land up there. You can hunt within the high water marks of navigable rivers however.

Sucks for all those operators up there, as well as everyone that wants to hunt this area. Its one of the most remote, unspoiled areas left in the United States.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I only mentioned that this year was a last minute closure and everyone scrambled to make adjustments. This season the options should already be known and tested. Definitely something to be aware of and discussed but not necessarily just dismissed because it's unit 23. That's my only point. I would talk to people that hunted this year and get thier opinion of how the outfitter adjusted. Good luck with your search

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Roughly 90% of unit 23 is federal land, and the majority of the remainder is private (native owned), there is very little state land up there. You can hunt within the high water marks of navigable rivers however.

Sucks for all those operators up there, as well as everyone that wants to hunt this area. Its one of the most remote, unspoiled areas left in the United States.

Thanks for the info. I don't find this or the rest of the group palatable to come all this way to hunt within the confines of high water marks on navigable waters. Sounds like alot of potential conflict with other hunters, natives and grizzly bears....of which we would not be able to take anyways. Unit 23 for now, isn't even on the table with the group unless something changes with the closure. It doesn't sit well with me when a potential outfitter is selling us on 23 and said 26 is a possibility, but prefer 23 because it is game rich and not as far.

Ray

WKR
They are probably counting on the state and Feds working out the situation with additional meetings this winter. However, in our current political climate here, the Feds typically do not bow to State demands. This outfitter is wishful thinking that unit 23 will open back up next season. It might, but I would not bet a deposit on it.

KJH

WKR
The unit 23 issue is near and dear to me... its a politically correct bad way of doing business and pandering to a minority group for feel good reasons and foregoing science. Aside from that, I would not hesitate to hunt GMU 23, even with fed land being closed IF... I had a pilot who would spend the time flying to find the major crossing points of the rivers (especially the Noataak). There are some great crossing points where the river bed is 300+ yards wide. You can land right there and set up camp. Then hunt from camp and have the ability to be very selective. No packing. No walking on that ankle busting tundra. If you can walk the dry river bed for miles either way to find more crossing points, then you can have a very easy and fulfilling hunt. Its just not the typical spot and stalk tundra hunt.

I personally don't mind sitting in the tent and out of the rain with a spotting scope watching caribou cross the river at 200 yards and getting one that way... Especially in bad weather or after you're dog tired. The result is the same and the effort is minimal.

I wouldn't discount the outfitter right away. I'd ask a lot of questions, and then make the decision that is best for you. Just a thought...

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would not describe GMU 23 as game rich, except during very narrow migration windows in spring and early winter. The caribou currently spend much of the "Sport Hunting" season in GMU 26A and northern boundaries of GMU 23.

All pilots would prefer to sell a hunt in GMU 23 because it saves time and fuel. But it's common language to refer to a hunt out of Kotz as "hunting out of gmu 23." I guess i mention that only for the sake of giving that dirtbag slack in the rope. He might be a knuckle head or just speaking in general terms about his service.

Either way, always trust that feeling of "walk away" because we're usually right about them.

As for hunting that region's caribou (Western Arctic Herd). The time to hunt them is now, IMO. The guys who stuck it out and hunted there this year did very well during september. I hussled for one in August. But doable and affordable, IMO.

[video=youtube;e7uXBDvFRm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7uXBDvFRm8[/video]

larry

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the response Larry and the ensuing information. We are planning our trip for August of 2018, plenty of time and well enough in advance to adjust if necessary. I believe we have settled in on 26 A, mid August for a 7-10 day drop off hunt. We are going with a group of 6 hunters and we are very much looking forward to the trip.

On another note, what is everyone's opinion on spotting scopes for a caribou hunt....are they necessary or 10x42/50's sufficient?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think it depends on the hunter. While it's nice to have, some trips are too weight restrictive so i often leave my spotter behind and trust my 10X42 Swaro binos. Caribou are on the move so often that getting a spotter dialed in on a moving target frustrates me.

AndyB

WKR
I would not describe GMU 23 as game rich, except during very narrow migration windows in spring and early winter. The caribou currently spend much of the "Sport Hunting" season in GMU 26A and northern boundaries of GMU 23.

All pilots would prefer to sell a hunt in GMU 23 because it saves time and fuel. But it's common language to refer to a hunt out of Kotz as "hunting out of gmu 23." I guess i mention that only for the sake of giving that dirtbag slack in the rope. He might be a knuckle head or just speaking in general terms about his service.

Either way, always trust that feeling of "walk away" because we're usually right about them.

As for hunting that region's caribou (Western Arctic Herd). The time to hunt them is now, IMO. The guys who stuck it out and hunted there this year did very well during september. I hussled for one in August. But doable and affordable, IMO.

[video=youtube;e7uXBDvFRm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7uXBDvFRm8[/video]

larry

Nice vid Larry, Burnside to boot.

I hope you gave your dog a bit after chucking him that fish head......:)

westtrout

FNG
On the topic of spotting scopes, it kinda does depend on your needs and goals. If it is just a meat hunt binos would be fine. But if you are looking for a particular size bull a compact spotter is a good compromise. I've only been on one caribou float hunt, but we brought along a Nikon 13-30x50 spotter and I was really glad that we did. The spotter was 20 ounces and with a small tripod I think that our total weight penalty was just under 2 lbs. I also brought a set of compact 8x binos that were 9 ounces and OK for scanning the tundra, but being able to zoom in on animals and determine if they were bulls (way out there) or how nice they were (if relatively close) was a real asset. You sure don't want to set off across a couple miles of soggy tundra for nothing!