Getting to Bettles

2PBC22

FNG
First post here, I've been reading quite a bit on this forum, and need some advice about a DIY drop camp caribou hunt.

A little background, my dad, brother-in-law, and I would like to do a caribou hunt fall of 2018. From what I've read, I think the Brooks range would be our best bet. I'm curious about the pros and cons for each of the options that I've been looking at. We know we'll be looking at around 5-6k per person, but obviously don't want to spend more than necessary. Also, I'm active duty military so I will be able to check 5 70lb bags on Alaska Airlines. I was planning on packing 4 70 quart coolers, and the rest of my gear as an additonal checked baggage, and checking the meat back on my return flight. So finding a place where I can process and freeze my meat after the hunt is also a priority. Ultimately, whoever we choose to use, we'll have to negotiate some way to cancel (or postpone) the hunt for another year if I end up being deployed.

1. Fly into fairbanks, drive the haul road to a location that Brooks Range Aviation could pick us up (Pump station 5 I believe).
Pros:
Getting to drive the Haul Road
Cons:
Driving the Haul Road (vehicle damage and cost of renting a vehicle from Fairbanks that will sit while hunting)
Meat Storage until getting to Fairbanks

2. Fly into fairbanks, fly with Wright Aviation to Bettles, and then fly out with BRA.
Pros:
Cost of not renting a car
Processing meat at BRA in Bettles
Travel Time to Bettles
Cons:
Addtional flight into Bettles
Additional charges by Wright Aviation for weight over 40 lbs. I've read it's $1.80 per person into Bettles, and then half that back to Fairbanks, and I've read it's $1.80 both ways?

3. Fly with Wright Aviation all the way into the Brooks Range. I'm kind of leaning towards this as our best option. We average about 165 lbs each, and their Helio Courier's have 750lb weight limits so we should be able to get away with 1 flight in and 2 flights out.
Pros:
Convience of flying out of Fairbanks
Cons:
Longer flights into the Brooks Range possibly limiting hunting locations
Costs of longer flights
We'd like to hunt the beginning of September so I'm not sure if Wright Aviation aircraft would have the range to access the caribou this late in the season?

Thanks!
CJ

GPN

FNG
I’d suggest Option 2, for a few reasons. First, driving the haul road to the pickup spot (Grayling Lake, I think) is, in my opinion, a hassle and will cost you a day at each end of your trip. I may be wrong but I don’t you’d save a lot of money by doing so. Second, Brooks Range Aviation (BRA) is pretty much constantly flying hunters (as well as hikers, sightseers, float parties) in and out GMUs 23 and 26A so will likely have the best idea on where the caribou are located. Moreover, they have several types of planes in their fleet including a couple of Beavers and an Otter on floats which substantially increases the flexibility on where to drop your group. In 2013, my partner and I flew with Wright Air (a first class outfit) to Bettles then BRA dropped us (by Otter) on a lake in the Howard Pass region in late August. We each shot two nice bulls and could not have been happier with the experience. We also shared the flight back to Bettles with three other hunters that were picked up on two different lakes that had 6 caribou and a wolf. The inside of the Otter was quite a scene with six people, 10 caribou, a wolf and all the gear.

BRA also coordinates with Wright Air (I think you even get a discount by mentioning BRA to Wright) so flying in/out of Bettles will be pretty seamless. Also, you can stay in the BRA bunkhouse if you get delayed (as we did) by weather on the return trip. Wright uses Cessna Caravans to service Bettles so weight on the return trip will not be an issue. Wright even sent an additional Caravan (at no additional charge) because the number of people/meat returning to Fairbanks was too much for one plane. My notes listed excess baggage fees at $0.80/lb. each way in 2013. A quick call to Wright can confirm current prices.

Regarding meat processing. There is plenty of room to process any caribou you harvest in the BRA hangar. They did have a walk-in cooler of sorts when we were there but it definitely wasn’t functioning as a freezer at the time. I would call Judy at BRA to see what is available. We simply left all the meat on the bone and processed (i.e. cut into 5# chunks) and froze everything at my friend’s house in Fairbanks. If you don’t have a local connection you could probably use dry ice (available at Fred Meyer and Safeway I think) to sufficiently cool or freeze your meat for transport back to the lower 48.

You are on the right track by selecting Wright Air and/or Brooks Range Aviation for your hunt. In addition to the hunt above I've used their services for canoe trips on the North Fork of the Koyukuk and the Noatak rivers. Both are first class professional outfits that I hope to use again real soon.

Best of luck with the planning and your hunt. No doubt you will get a lot of good advice from others on the forum.

I've done both options one and two, as far as getting to Bettles. Both have their pros and cons, but if I were renting a vehicle, I wouldn't chose to drive to Prospect Creek (Pump 5). It's just gonna be sitting there the whole time, and well, that just seems a little spendy to me for a vehicle that you aren't using.

As far as option 3 goes, I think you guys are gonna be pushing your luck getting three guys and all their gear in a Helio for that long of flight. Certainly it is doable, but I think you are gonna be pushing the weight limit and you will have to settle for a pretty spartan camp.

If I were doing it, I would opt for a plan that utilized BRA. Jay and Judy are top notch, and I think they will offer you the best odds at getting on the Caribou. Plus, you might get to fly in this bad ass Otter.... :)
image_zps7ba82160.jpeg

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Also consider the herd status for caribou. The Western Arctic appears to be in a declining stable state, but local politics are putting us non-locals at risk of losing our rights to hunt this region. However, BRA accesses the northern portion this boundary and does a good job finding this herd.

The Porcupine Herd in eastern Brooks Range is the herd with currently the highest growth and stability overall, but access is spendy. Convenient out Fairbanks too, which has value.

good luck

OP

2PBC22

FNG
Thanks for the replies! I think you'll have convinced me that Wright to Bettles and then BRA is currently the best option!!

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
We took wrights air last fall and it was completely hassle free. Nice people and on time. I wouldn't look to far into their weight policy as we had all of our stuff below weight and one guy showed up with a generator and a 100# propane bottle. I would take more than you need and you can always leave it at wrights air if they don't let you take it on. On the way home there was plenty of room for our antlers and capes.