Waders/Boots question?

USMC2602

WKR
3 buddies and I are doing a drop in caribou hunt in the Brooks Range through BRA this year, Aug 16-27. Think we're pretty well set otherwise, but I still have one main question and that relates to waders or boots.

If we'd just be doing a few water crossings a day, I think the Wiggy's waders would be the best option to just throw on over my regular boots when necessary. However, if we're more likely to be slogging through water most of the day, or the terrain is such that the Wiggy's wouldn't hold up for a week plus, I'd probably go with a pair of breathable stocking foot waders and wader boots. I've found a few threads on this, but hoped some of you that are familiar with the area and have hunted it before could chime in with your specific recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Kurt

Every area is different, as you can probably imagine. I hunt in plastic boots with glacier socks, so this is never a problem I entertain, but I do have a little experience using the wiggys boots that many of my clients bring. One thing I found with the wiggys, the soles are very slippery on the rocks. If I had to do many crossings in one day, or wear them throughout the course of a day, I think it would get very frustrating. Personally, if I were in your position, I would opt for the breathables.

KJH

WKR
My caribou hunting boot of choice... for the versatility. Cabela's Tundra™ Hip Boots - YouTube

I heard they don't make them anymore, but not for sure. The boot isn't a perfect leather boot, nor is it a perfect hip wader but it does both pretty well. When you only have room and weight for one boot, this works well to cross small streams.

GPN

FNG
I did the same hunt with BRA in August 2013. I was very happy that I brought a pair of breathable waders (Simms G3) on the trip. I used them for multiple stream crossings and slogging around the lake shore where we were camped. They also provided extra protection from the often Arctic relentless wind while on the glassing hill. With a decent set of boots they are also pretty comfortable to hike in. They would be at the very top of my gear list for this hunt.

Prior to my hunt also I contacted some other BRA drop camp hunters about what gear they used. They highly recommended breathable waders as well. Since weight is not going to be a major limitation on this hunt (presuming you'll be flying in a Beaver or Otter) I would recommend you take a set. Moreover, unless you've prearranged a drop site, BRA is going to put you where the caribou are (or will be) so you can't be sure of what conditions to expect. With breathable waders you pretty much have all bases covered.

bairdi

FNG
Simms stocking foot waders. G3 model is good, the G4 model is even better with increased abrasion resistant material that covers the butt rather than ending at the bottom of the crotch like on the G3 model. Get a pair of good simms wading boots. They are comfortable and supportive enough to hike in all day if needed. Investing in a pair of simms waders and wading boots is going to be pretty spendy but can really make a difference. If the price is off-putting, think of it as a long term investment. I wear simms waders up to 50-60 days a year (all day, with lots of hiking, crawling over log jams, busting through heavy brush along stream banks, etc). Typically, I find a pair of the G4 waders will last me at least a full open water season without any major leaks. I usually get them to last two full seasons, though after the second year they do have a few minor leaks, even after making use of the patch kits Simms provides and additional aquaseal glue. The tiny minor leaks don't bother me very much, because if I'm hiking and active while wearing my waders, I'm usually getting wetter from sweating inside the waders than from any of the leaks. However, less brands of waders I've tried have never lasted even one full season and have typically failed catastrophically in such a fashion that in the field repairs are almost impossible. Thus, saving money on the front end ended up costing me more in the end as I was buying a new pair of waders after only a month of use. The stocking foot waders dry pretty quickly too so that I'm able to at least start each day with dry waders. Sometimes, if I'm able to take a lunch break and the weather is nice, I'll shuck out of my waders, turn them inside out and sit them in the sun and they'll at least be a fair bit drier by the time I need to get back to work. If you are a guide, Simms does have a decent prodeal program that helps offset the high cost of their waders. For me though, the cost is definitely worth it. Heck many are willing to pay more than what a set of waders costs for top of the line rain gear to stay dry, so why wouldn't they be willing to pay for good waders to keep them dry too.

When moose hunting in the muskeg swamps and along rivers, I often don't even bring rain pants with me as I always just living in my waders all day long. I never have to worry about going over the tops of my boots and can sit down or kneel anywhere I want without worry of getting soaked.

Clarktar

WKR
Do yourself a favor and check out Redington waders.... Jury is still out on their boots but the waders are top notch

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
USMC2602

USMC2602

WKR
Thanks, I'm thinking the G3 guide pants? I don't trout fish today, duck hunt plenty and have my 1600gr neoprene brush busters but wouldn't want to try walking the tundra in those! $500 is kinda spendy, but realistically I'm about enjoying my first trip to Alaska and don't really mind it. Any sources I should check that may have better pricing?

Again, really appreciate the replies.

KU_Geo

WKR
A good Alternative to Simms G3 wader pants are Frogg Togg Pilot II pants. I've ran these all of last year fishing in CO and for a two week moose hunt in AK this past September. Ran them through thick brush and swamps everyday and they have proved to be just as durable as the G3 waders I had previously. Splurge on the Simms guide boots, they are definitely worth it. Also, I went with BRA in 2013 for caribou and only used rubber boots getting in and out of the plane. Rest of the time we were just fine in leather hunting boots.

KJH

WKR
I'm a big fan of the Muck Waders (Mucks with Yoder Chaps).

Never heard of these until I saw this post... I just ordered some for $145. These will be perfect for moose hunting!

Thanks for sharing.

I haven't hunted the Brooks for caribou in quite a few years but the last time I did it, waders were the last thing that we needed. In fact, the only time I've used waders up there was on a float hunt, which we spent a fair amount of time fishing as well. That being said, if you are going to buy waders, buy Simms, be done with it, and feel good in knowing that when you go fishing, your fishing in the best, most comfortable waders made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree 100% with AK Troutbum....if you need waders, get Simms. I used to live in mine while guiding and nothing beats them.

JWW

WKR
I spend 150+ days a year in waders. If you get the simms, get the G4 as the ass on the G3 isn't reinforced. If you have time to wait, I would find someone close to you with a Patagonia outlet. A few times a year they do 50% off sales. I picked up my last pair of Rio Gallegos waders there for $75, and the only wader comparable to them is the Simms G4 in my opinion. Patagonia also has a lifetime warranty, you destroy them and they will fix them FREE. Simms will charge you a fee. I prefer the fit of the Simms waders (5'9" 175lbs athletic build, legs like a goat, size 10 foot). In Simms a large is perfection, Patagonia a medium long is best as it accommodates my large lower half and the boots on their larges tend to run big. That being said, the wool grid boot on the Patagonia is warmer, and if you really want killer warmth size up two sizes on Muck boots, fold the tops over and you have boot foots which is what I wear for duck hunting and cold weather stillwater fishing. In terms of boots, Simms builds a far superior boot in term of durability, and Korkers is a close second however I am not a fan of the interchangeable sole (prone to popping loose and turning your day to pure hell). If you are in really muddy or snowy/freezing conditions, regular laces are a pain to tighten or retie but can be repaired in the field compared to a BOA sytem. If you do buy a BOA boot, grab an extra set of cables and you are set. Sorry for the long winded post, but I have worn just about every wader on the planet, and nothing will ruin your day faster than being cold and wet.

Aubs8

FNG
I hunted sheep in the Brooks Range in 2011 and am going back again next year. We used Cabela's Dry Plus II waist waders with good hiking boots 100% of the time. They are $99 right now and have seen them on sale for $60.