Shipping meat from Alaska to lower 48

OP
B

bryan_arnett

Lil-Rokslider
Here you go:
Checked baggage fees and policies | Alaska Airlines

Alaska Airlines first bag $25, 2nd bag $25, each additional bag $75. Bigger and heavier bags have additional fees.

So looks like the fish boxes realunlucky used will be able to used for both Alaska Air and Delta as well. Thanks for the info. All this info I have received is another reason I really like this site. Thanks!

bowuntr

WKR
I've hunted DIY Alaska 10 times and the cheapest and easiest is putting the meat in fish boxes and taking it as checked baggage... no doubt. All of my experience is with Alaska Airlines. Piece of cake with a caribou. The second easiest and dealing with a moose is to be an Alaskan Air Cargo Known Shipper. It will require a home inspection at about $100 and they only ship to major airports. They do have cold storage which is a plus but it is more expensive than taking it as extra baggage. The last time I used Alaska Air Cargo, the meat and antlers were on the same plane I was on, all the way home. There are other options but none cheaper and more convenient as extra baggage. Ed F

OP
B

bryan_arnett

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted DIY Alaska 10 times and the cheapest and easiest is putting the meat in fish boxes and taking it as checked baggage... no doubt. All of my experience is with Alaska Airlines. Piece of cake with a caribou. The second easiest and dealing with a moose is to be an Alaskan Air Cargo Known Shipper. It will require a home inspection at about $100 and they only ship to major airports. They do have cold storage which is a plus but it is more expensive than taking it as extra baggage. The last time I used Alaska Air Cargo, the meat and antlers were on the same plane I was on, all the way home. There are other options but none cheaper and more convenient as extra baggage. Ed F

Thank you! Looks like Alaska Air Cargo is the way to go with everyone commenting on them

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
call or drop by Fairbanks Fur Tannery if you need a walk-in freezer in fbks.

Phone number (907) 452-6047 ask for Al. Don't let him start talking too much cause he wont stop...! dont tell him is sent ya..:))

OP
B

bryan_arnett

Lil-Rokslider
call or drop by Fairbanks Fur Tannery if you need a walk-in freezer in fbks.

Phone number (907) 452-6047 ask for Al. Don't let him start talking too much cause he wont stop...! dont tell him is sent ya..:))

Thank you! I will sure keep him in mind. I'll make sure to leave that part out when I give him a visit! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray

WKR
Rather than an action packer, use 18 gallon rubber maid totes. Drill 1/4" holes around the lid lip and use 8" zip ties to secure it. Leave the tails on the zip ties as the cut ends can cut baggage handlers hands. (I was yelled at once coming out of the bush and had to re zip my tote.)

The 18 gallon size can be filled with meat and typically ends up right at 50 pounds.

If you will be in transit longer than 12 hours you should use something insulated.

OP
B

bryan_arnett

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, I will keep that in mind. Sounds like a good cheap alternative. I can see why leaving the tails on the zip ties would be a good thing, those ends can be sharp!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also leave a couple extra zip ties inside on top that way if security opens it to look they can replace them

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
B

bryan_arnett

Lil-Rokslider
Also leave a couple extra zip ties inside on top that way if security opens it to look they can replace them

I sure will. I could see where they would open it up. Do they open the package at each airport when I would connect to different flights?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Typically no the airline's just transfer it like any other luggage

OP
B

bryan_arnett

Lil-Rokslider
Typically no the airline's just transfer it like any other luggage

So pretty much once it's checked in one airport, it's good for the others (other then someone just wanting to check?)

KJH

WKR
I've taken the meat as baggage and that is the cheaper method for a couple of caribou. I would take as much this way as the airline will allow. You cannot beat Alaska Airlines. This method allows you to process your own... which I like to do.

I've also had it processed at Alaska Sausage in Anchorage and then had it shipped frozen. That is the more expensive route, especially with a moose. BUT it is the easiest method. You basically drop off your wax boxes full of boned out meat and tell them what you want them to do with it (tell them you only want your own meat too). It will arrive at your house in 2-3 weeks packaged and processed. No hassle besides writing a big check. Alaska Sausage has always done a great job and I'm happy with the products.

This coming fall, I hope to ship all my AK harvested animals (meat boxes, capes, and antlers) via a freezer truck service that starts in Fairbanks and picks up and drops off in several places in the L48 after in October. I talked with a guy who used it for moose and really liked it. I'll find the info for the guy who does it and post it on here.

I have a friend who met a taxidermist who drives a truck to Anchorage and then hauls all the frozen trophies (and meat) back to Wisconsin as soon as his trailer is full. The catch is that you have to use him for taxidermy and pay a delivery fee. You have to meet him at his shop the day after he arrives and take your meat. I've used another taxidermist to ship the cape and antlers back, but never meat this way.

KJH

WKR
Follow up to my last post- I found the info for the guy shipping meat to L48. I'm planning on using him this year.

Alaska Express hauling moose and caribou to lower 48 from Alaska and Alaska Express hauling moose and caribou to lower 48 from Alaska

Since I just found it, I called him this morning to make sure he's in business for 2017 and he plans to depart Anchorage on Sept 27 +/-. His instructions are pretty clear on the website, but basically you call him (via sat phone) as soon as you have your animals down to reserve a spot. You get your meat, cape, antlers to a pickup point. He then picks it up and delivers it to teh L48. You pay a flat fee when you pick it up at one of the locations listed on the website.

$600 for a Caribou- Seems a little steep... Especially in comparison to the frozen-in-wax-boxes method and checked as baggage.

$750 for a Moose- seems like a bargain.

OP
B

bryan_arnett

Lil-Rokslider
Follow up to my last post- I found the info for the guy shipping meat to L48. I'm planning on using him this year.

Alaska Express hauling moose and caribou to lower 48 from Alaska and Alaska Express hauling moose and caribou to lower 48 from Alaska

Since I just found it, I called him this morning to make sure he's in business for 2017 and he plans to depart Anchorage on Sept 27 +/-. His instructions are pretty clear on the website, but basically you call him (via sat phone) as soon as you have your animals down to reserve a spot. You get your meat, cape, antlers to a pickup point. He then picks it up and delivers it to teh L48. You pay a flat fee when you pick it up at one of the locations listed on the website.

$600 for a Caribou- Seems a little steep... Especially in comparison to the frozen-in-wax-boxes method and checked as baggage.

$750 for a Moose- seems like a bargain.

Thank you! I'll keep those processors in mind, I have never used a processor before so that would be new to me. That meat truck sounds good to, but I can see where you said it seemed a little steep compared to moose. Thanks for the info and following up!

Ray

WKR
I sure will. I could see where they would open it up. Do they open the package at each airport when I would connect to different flights?

It depends on the level of screening equipment at the airport you originate at. TSA screens all bags. If there is no x-ray machine that means they screen all bags by hand. Once baggage has been screened it will pass through the controlled areas of the various airports you are traveling through. However, if you have a connecting flight that does not allow for baggage transfer between carriers - rare but it happens - then you will have to collect your bags and check them back in for that next leg of the trip. And TSA may screen them again depending on the size of the carrier you will getting on. Small regional carriers typically do not require TSA screening.

OP
B

bryan_arnett

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on the level of screening equipment at the airport you originate at. TSA screens all bags. If there is no x-ray machine that means they screen all bags by hand. Once baggage has been screened it will pass through the controlled areas of the various airports you are traveling through. However, if you have a connecting flight that does not allow for baggage transfer between carriers - rare but it happens - then you will have to collect your bags and check them back in for that next leg of the trip. And TSA may screen them again depending on the size of the carrier you will getting on. Small regional carriers typically do not require TSA screening.

That makes sense. Thank you!

ndbuck09

WKR
Wanted to re-hash this thread about handling meat and antlers. 2 of my buddies and I are heading up to AK for caribou this August flying out of Tok. My question on coming home with the meat is:
Do you guys just plan on buying your Action Packers/Totes up in Fairbanks? That sort of makes me a little nervous; I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that there's plenty of options for purchasing these things up there. What's the experience with sourcing these items?

Thanks

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
my advice is to buy them where you live and ship your personal gear inside to Zack. Reuse on the flippy flop for shipping your meat.

Those wax boxes are usually available, but SAMS just closed in FBKS so nothing is guaranteed to be avail in sept.

Ray

WKR
Do you guys just plan on buying your Action Packers/Totes up in Fairbanks? That sort of makes me a little nervous; I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that there's plenty of options for purchasing these things up there. What's the experience with sourcing these items?

Thanks

We Alaskan's live and die by our rubber maid totes and action packers. Fred Meyers will have several hundred stacked on the shelves at any given time of the year until late spring. In early winter is when they have sales on "storage" systems to move inventory. The only time I have issues with buying rubber maid totes was when I was looking for smaller ones for a very specific use. Just had to go to another Fred's and they had a dozen. Action packer sizes might be the only issue you could encounter. AP's are expensive and the bottoms easily wear out when being dragged all over the state. Their demand these days is lower and thus they are not stocked in huge numbers like they used to be. The 18 gallon RM totes are better.

I would stay away from Sterilite brand totes. They all seem to fail sooner and their lids do not secure as well as the Rubber Maid totes.

Jimss

WKR
If Fairbanks is anything like Anchorage there are a bunch of stores to choose from that have totes, coolers, fish boxes, etc. There is Cabelas, Walmart, and a gob of grocery stores in Anchorage. I'm not sure I would trust zip ties. There is no guarantee that TSA will replace them and who knows what would happen to tote lids if they aren't secured with zip ties. You are a lot better off shipping via the plane you are on! It's a lot cheaper and you'll get your meat immediately when you get off your plane and pick up your baggage. Action packers are pretty nice but somewhat pricey and not insulated. Insulated fish boxes hold quite a bit of meat and are relatively inexpensive. I'm getting to have a gob of fish boxes in my attic from all the meat I bring home. The toughest part is getting your meat processed and frozen before you leave.