Need help with best time for caribou hunt

JD4455

FNG
So to follow up on a previous post, we have decided to plan a trip in the Brooks Range area. Dates are all open. What date would you suggest? Early, late etc? Moon phase have any bearing on caribou? Thanks in advance.

VernAK

WKR
The window is rather small IMO.
I also prefer early September, or maybe very late August, as the meat is still good and trophy quality is improving rapidly.
The bugs are usually gone but you are getting up against snow and cold.

KJH

WKR
If legally could hunt on federal land in unit 23 again (Thanks anti-constitutional Federal Subsistence Baord), I would go no earlier than September 10th. The migration is later every year... All good as long as its before the bulls get smelly in the rut. I've done late August (actually the last hunt I did was late August but it was waaayyy North), and we did great.

If you want to go way North, then earlier would be fine. I like seeing hundreds of animals a day, but I also like seeing big ones.

JD4455: Let me ask you- Where are you flying out of and what GMU do you plan on hunting? This would help me give you my best answer.

Late Aug or Early Sep... Course, we could be totally wrong and mid August may be the best next year. A bit hard to tell.

On a related topic, I received a pamphlet from F&G regarding the caribou in that area yesterday and it's not looking good in terms of tags, etc. There will be a cut and no one can really be sure as to how much it will affect us at this point.

Maybe some others can chime in with regards to that and the likely outcome.

Best of luck.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning on heading the the Brooks in 2018 as well. It appears that most operators working in the North Slope region, shut down operations around Sept 1st, due to the fact that weather becomes very unstable and winter hits near then. So if you are thinking North Slope, you can probably rule out after Sept 1. After Sept 1, you will be looking at units on the south side of the Brooks.Unless I am mistaken, but this is where most of my research has led me.

OP
J

JD4455

FNG
Thanks to everyone. We are looking at using Brooks range aviation. Sounds like first of September should be good??

USMC2602

WKR
As soggybtmboys said, if you're going north slope of the Brooks, you'll be coming out in very early September. I'm going with BRA this year in mid/late August. Give BRA a call or shoot them an email and they'll get you all the info. They have been great to deal with.

OP
J

JD4455

FNG
I am curious about this comment that was made earlier.------"If you want to go way North, then earlier would be fine. I like seeing hundreds of animals a day, but I also like seeing big ones. "
Can you elaborate on that. We want to see hundreds as well. We would probably rather deal with cool weather than bugs. Is that possible? Thanks again for all the help.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Big bulls tend to migrate toward the latter part is what I've always heard.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
it's grim. unless you have coin to drop on zero to 25% success, don't do it, IMO.

maybe if you can wait until mid september long the haul rd, but no exciting news to offer. slim pickins fo sho.

OP
J

JD4455

FNG
Larry. Are you referring to the timing and location or herd population and the hunt in general?

KJH

WKR
I am curious about this comment that was made earlier.------"If you want to go way North, then earlier would be fine. I like seeing hundreds of animals a day, but I also like seeing big ones. "
Can you elaborate on that. We want to see hundreds as well. We would probably rather deal with cool weather than bugs. Is that possible? Thanks again for all the help.

Never flown out of Bettles, so I'm not sure how timing works out there. I've only hunted the WACH in 23 and southern 26. I consider 26 "way North".

I really think bigger bulls migrate later... not based on internet heresay, but my experience. My experience is the big migrations are an amzing site. When you can sit at one spot all day and look out over miles of tundra and see animals every direction in large numbers... its a great feeling. A nature show at its best. BUT great bulls seem far and few between. Once these bigger groups get past you by a few days it seems there are small groups with bigger bulls. No science here, just my opinion based on experience. The migration seems later each year.

I'm ok with not shooting anything, so going later doesn't bother me.The adventure makes the trip, not the kill for me nowadays. The caveat is I've also never gone to late to shoot something. I hate mosquitos... I'll deal with them for a moose, but prefer not ata caribou camp. I also like a little snow because spotting the animals easier. It could be a curse as well.

If its your first and possibly only trip, then go when your outfitter or transporter recommends. Just make sure they are willing to spend the extra time (and gas) flying you to where the animals are... not waiting days for them to arrive near your camp. The migration is like a bell curve... no animals, a few animals, a lot of animals, then few animals, then no animals.

I ask the trasnporter, "what is the latest drop camp you'll accomodate?". That is my prefered way for setting dates on a caribou hunt.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
it's grim. unless you have coin to drop on zero to 25% success, don't do it, IMO.

maybe if you can wait until mid september long the haul rd, but no exciting news to offer. slim pickins fo sho.

I am curious to what you mean by this comment as well? My group has time to adjust if necessary, we have not committed with any transport as of yet. This is the first time I have heard anyone say to shy away from the Brooks for caribou, and potentially look later and off the Haul Rd.

I'd go with whomever will fly you into the 40 mile herd, personally. I think you'll have a much better hunt. Just my thoughts.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I am curious to what you mean by this comment as well? My group has time to adjust if necessary, we have not committed with any transport as of yet. This is the first time I have heard anyone say to shy away from the Brooks for caribou, and potentially look later and off the Haul Rd.

Check out the link in his signature. Looks like he is knowledgeable on the subject as (what I am assuming is) his business is booked through 2020.

I can tell you last summer when I was doing research and talking to different operations, many only had a spot here and there for 2017. Which is to say, if you are talking to people now who still have openings this for year.....I would be wary.