Listened to AK BOG meetings yesterday - unit 26B/Norhern Haul road/CAH...

Tod osier

WKR
Looks like NRs will go to 1 bull caribou for 2017 season starting beginning of August and Ending mid Sept. Residents in the NE, SE, SW portions of 26B will go to 2 bulls and no cows (NW is higher for residents because of subsistence needs and I forgot what NRs got there).

There was discussion of the NRs that bought 2 caribou tags already and the decision was to let them pound salt. The head of the board was the only one that seemed to feel any compassion for those, but in the end it was clear that no one was moved and that those with a second tag would have to "eat it".

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
well, ain't that some shit?

Sorry for you guys.

guess we better start lookin at wabbit and squirrel recipes for the future!

lb

Stid2677

WKR
A tag can also be used on a lesser animal, so a Caribou tag could be used on a Black Bear, Elk, Deer, Wolverine, or Wolf. Check the regs of course, I could be wrong, I have been before. :)

Bambistew

WKR
The NR season is currently open in 25A and 26B, (unless it was closed/closes by EO). So you can technically use both your 2017 tags right now.

Buying any tag in Alaska is a risk, they can close seasons at anytime they feel the need, same with fishing. Generally speaking, there is still lots of opportunity for NR caribou hunting, may not be where you want to go, or the expected success though.

At least you can still go. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see this reduced to no NR harvest in the near future.

TEmbry

WKR
It stinks but bottom line (from the state's perspective) is that caribou tags are not unit specific nor even species specific... That's the risk of purchasing tags before the regs even come out.

I'm glad they went to 2 bulls again. Maybe stopping the cow massacre along the highway will help the quality of that hunt overall a few years down the road.

As a NR with two tags, that I purchased at ADF&G's urging before the price hike, this chaps my ass. You have to book at least 9 months in advance, so why not at least offer those NR Hunter so that bought early a refund or credit towards other licenses?

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Heard health matters more than non-resident satisfaction.
I feel the pain for those that bought tags but like TEmbry said, that's part of the risk folks took trying to save a few dollars.