Caribou Closures on Alaska Federal Public Lands (WSA 16-01)

stuckey_t

FNG
Would a lawsuit against the Federal Subsistence Board regarding these WSA's make any sense? If these are public lands any closure should affect all citizens of the U.S.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think they answered you on the ODD forum, but the jest is this:

Make the calling sequence with passcode and that patches you in to the meeting microphone.

Mute your phone when you're not talking. The speaker (usually Chris McKee) will ask for phone comments....you pipe in when you can and he'll recognize you to speak. This is sometimes a little awkward but you'll have to listen and wait to speak when they give ya a turn.

Be concise and substantive. Try to keep your points to 2 mins max. They often allow 5 min but more often cut you down to 2-3 minutes. Don't plan a 5-min speal, a 2-min burst of fire is always better.

thanks for calling in, I'll be there listening to your points.

larry

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A lawsuit isn't that good of an option, yet, because ANILCA language gives the FSB authority to close federal lands to protect the subsistence priority to game and fish.

We need congressional work to clearly define resource triggers based on science that guides this federal authority on decisions that don't exterminate non-local interests. That's was not the intent of ANILCA, but that is how it is being used.

The real threat is not the FSB, it's the RACs who are misguided and influential. But both the Board and the Councils who process these special action requests operate for the subsistence priority....so without congressional traction this precedent will be exercised all over the state of Alaska.

The first step is to get congressional traction, but only after we have exhausted the public process...which is why we need to be on record at these meetings defending non-local Alaska hunting rights on federal public lands.

lb

Ray

WKR
After what Don Young tried to do for Ahtna a few years ago, we need to be careful about getting congress involved through him.

However, he does respond to his constituents, and if a bill shows up pre-drafted (with a suitable campaign contribution), he might put it in front of a committee.

Within our current political climate, the ANCSA corporations have the most pull to get Young to respond to their desire to change ANICLA or ANCSA. I think a well crafted piece of legislation from Joe Public would work, though. It will end up being a two front campaign here at home and back in DC.

Tod osier

WKR
I think they answered you on the ODD forum, but the jest is this:

Make the calling sequence with passcode and that patches you in to the meeting microphone.

Mute your phone when you're not talking. The speaker (usually Chris McKee) will ask for phone comments....you pipe in when you can and he'll recognize you to speak. This is sometimes a little awkward but you'll have to listen and wait to speak when they give ya a turn.

Be concise and substantive. Try to keep your points to 2 mins max. They often allow 5 min but more often cut you down to 2-3 minutes. Don't plan a 5-min speal, a 2-min burst of fire is always better.

thanks for calling in, I'll be there listening to your points.

larry

Thanks Larry, your further clarifications are helpful.. A big part of my job is talking in front of groups, but the idea of fussing around on a phone trying to figure out how to do it, is a significant threshold to overcome. Will do it, as I hope other will too.

Tod osier

WKR
What they are trying to take away from us!!!!!!

1187_zpse2fdb4a7.jpg

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, I'd like to claim that calling in to these meetings, or even testifying in person, is THE way to stop these special actions...but I can't.

However, if we dont express ourselves during the public process, our voices are NOT put on record against such closures.

I believe that a track record of public opinion proves that we care enough to get involved, so that when we we go to our constituents and they ask what we have done to solve the issues locally, we can prove we have done the expected actions of opposition or resolution.

That's my opinion.

What that means for calling in is, again my opinion....but call in en mass and be the majority voice at these meetings. I go in person so they see the determination and familiarity of my face. I want them to rely on the consistency of the energy behind the boot that will kick them in the ass before giving up my right to hunt of federal land.

lb

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be calling into Barrow both days to express my thoughts. I hope others will circle the wagons on behalf of our future

I just got around to watching the videos, Larry. First, I would like to say thank you for your very well thought out and articulated speech at the federal subsistence board meeting. I know I am not alone when I say that I truly appreciate your commitment in the fight to keep/save our right as American hunters, access to our federal lands. The idea of a localized group of citizens, the chosen few rural residents of the north interior/slope (particularly those living in units 23 and 26), having sole rights to hunt and harvest wild game off our federal lands, especially when these particular citizens as a whole, contribute very little to our economy, really pisses me off. The vast majority of these people do not have jobs, do not pay taxes, live and for the most part survive, off of the rest of the federal taxpayers. If it were not for welfare and federal subsidies, these people would cease to exist as they do today, yet this is still not enough; they also want sole rights to the caribou on OUR federal lands. Anyway, I'm sure I digress, it's just that this whole thing really gets my blood boiling. Thanks again Larry, and keep fighting the good fight.

I called in on May 9 for the WSA17-03 discussion. Larry did a great job as well as everyone who spoke. Aside from the biologist who gave the opening remarks, everyone who commented basically said the same things: 1) there is no evidence for restricting access, 2) there are already processes in place with ADFG to manage the herd, and 3) nobody (who commented) supports a closure. It was all well done and professional.

It was disappointing that they proponents of the action didn't really have to make a case. There was no debate, just people making statements. Hopefully the hour of people basically saying they don't want this passed will make some difference.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is the testimonies I gave on behalf of ABHA and you, the non-local

[video=vimeo;217385363]https://vimeo.com/217385363[/video]

In case you miss it on another thread, here's the testimony I gave for WSA 17-04 (Closing GMU 26A & 26B)

[video=vimeo;217385914]https://vimeo.com/217385914[/video]

We'll update you with any and all information we get regarding the proposed closures in the weeks to come.

Larry

Tod osier

WKR
Thanks Larry. I was wondering what all the rusting sounds were when I was listening - now I see you were pulling a rotten carcass out of a bag. I was a little concerned about you making it back in one piece after I heard some of the later testimony.

Did you think about sending your vids to the press?

Again, thanks for getting there in person to represent us.

T

Last edited:
OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That testimony was 3 hours long. If you really want that length of information, I'm happy to make a podcast of it.

Let me know, i'd need a day or two to compile it.

lb

I was interested in your testimonies that you referenced in your previous message. I don't see a file or link. It may be my tablet.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
gotcha. there's an embedded video.

here's the url you can just cut and paste, maybe

vimeo.com/217385914

Got that to work. Thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to stand-up for the "nonlocal" hunter! I would have loved to see their faces when you first pulled that carcass out of the bag.

colonel00

WKR
Just bumping this up to see if there was any update on this. I had thought I saw somewhere that there'd be a decision by June 1st or so. It would be nice to know if my hunt is still on this fall so I can buy airfare before it gets too expensive :D :/