Newfoundland Moose Outfitter

My dad recently turned the calendar page on his 60th birthday. His bucket list hunt is a moose hunt, so I told him I would plan it and save up some money to go with him. I've settled on NF because it appears that while bulls aren't huge on the island, there are more shot opportunities. I will try on a Woodland Caribou while there. Anybody have any great experiences with outfitters in Newfoundland? Bad experiences? I probably have $9k I could spend, all in. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently hunted moose last September with Bob Efford in NF. I cannot say enough about the experience. We went 3 for 3, however it wouldn't have mattered it was that good. Absolutely zero issues. If you have specific questions PM me.

303fabe8e1134a67586a97ae0a58be7d.jpg

My father's bull...

7f0f528b4c6931b3faa0eb31bf60d588.jpg

The plane, the bull, my dad & Bob...

218248644190ba2eb76e6cfe86f224e6.jpg

The hunters & the guides...

OP
wilcogeoff
Thank you chippewawarrior! I will PM you for a few more details. This is my first outfitted hunt so I'm on unfamiliar ground here trying to sort out the good outfitters from the bad.

Rs3003

WKR
I've hunted with The Hide Away Lodge out or Grand Falls Windsor. It was a excellent trip. 4 out of 6 in camp were successful and another missed. Great all around experience. Fully guided.

OP
wilcogeoff
Thank you Rs3003! I appreciate the reply.

There are tons of Outfitters in NF. Start by narrowing down what you're looking for. Drive in? Fly in? By helicopter or plane? Things like that...

buzzy

WKR
I doubt you will find a caribou hunt for under $10K. With the Quebec closure many jacked their prices up. I hunted caribou with Deep Creek Outfitters last year and had a great hunt. I could highly recommend them. Not sure about moose as I was there after the moose rut and the only hunter in camp.

azverde

FNG
I hunted with Moose Valley a few years ago. Flew into a lake, also a second hunter there. We both got moose, 1 on 1 guides, camp cook turned out excellent meals, shower with hot water. Walking tough, knee boots, rain gear needed. It was a quality hunt, saw some caribou but they were not our targets. Saw few bear at long distance. We would hike to the top of a knob and glass & call. Guide called my moose into 75 yards from over a mile away.

OP
wilcogeoff
Sounds impressive azverde! I'm going to give them a call....

My wife and I hunted with Iron Bound Outfitters in 2015 and I leave in 9 days to hunt with them again for caribou. We both shot awesome moose by Newfie standards my wifes bull was 49" and 19 points mine was 36" 14 points. We went prime rut with the bow and saw over 70 moose in 5 days. Had numerous small bulls that we passed on. It was a great hunt. My dad went last year and shot a 47" 29 point bull with the same outfitter!

Trial153

WKR
Went with MVO last year, excellent hunt. My dad killed a nice bull with his rifle and I killed a bull bow hunting. Everything about there set up is great. They have very limited openings and we rebooked the first spots we could in 2019