Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone actually flown in with Meekins with this tag within the past couple of years?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not personally, but i hear from guys who were happy and successful with Meekins.

lb

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the only pair of gloves you plan to take the fingerless ones? I always like to have a way to keep wind off my bare skin.

I have not caribou hunted or yet hunted Alaska so I don't have much advice to share, just curious. I always take warmer gloves to keep my hands warm while glassing. I wear lightweight liner type gloves if the temp or wind calls for them while hiking and then have Aleyeskan rag wool gloves or Kuiu down glassing mittens in the pack for stationary glassing morning and night. I can run my spotter or binos off the tripod much better with warm steady hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    Is the only pair of gloves you plan to take the fingerless ones? I always like to have a way to keep wind off my bare skin.

I have not caribou hunted or yet hunted Alaska so I don't have much advice to share, just curious. I always take warmer gloves to keep my hands warm while glassing. I wear lightweight liner type gloves if the temp or wind calls for them while hiking and then have Aleyeskan rag wool gloves or Kuiu down glassing mittens in the pack for stationary glassing morning and night. I can run my spotter or binos off the tripod much better with warm steady hands.
    Well I'm kind of up on the fence with my glove situation. I have the fingerless ragwool mittens as well and love them here in Utah. I'm afraid of brining them to Alaska and carrying around heavy sponges with all the rain Alaska gets. Maybe bringing a synthetic waterproof glove would work? I know that its nearly impossible to keep your hands dry, that's why I just decided to take the talus and accept hands being wet but having the wool to keep them somewhat warm?

5. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm digging through this discussion and I don't find the dates of your hunt.....maybe I'm missing it.
    There's a hell of a difference from August 10th to September 10th.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    I'm digging through this discussion and I don't find the dates of your hunt.....maybe I'm missing it.
    In field 24Aug-1Sep

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Bingo Vern. Being too cold isn't my biggest concern during this period of time. Keeping dry is the top of my priority list.

Caribou hunting in late August isn't a high country sheep hunt or a late September moose hunt... Use whatever you have and don't over think it. If you can keep dry clothes on, you'll be in business. I've sweat my butt off during this period and been snowed on, but really being dangerously cold hasn't happened to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Expect frost at night. Variable precipitation.
    September 11th of 1992 I was on the north side of the Alaska Range hunting moose.
    A Bering Sea storm came in from the West....60 MPH winds.....20 below and 2 feet of snow.
    It can happen.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by acmckeage03 View Post
    Well I'm kind of up on the fence with my glove situation. I have the fingerless ragwool mittens as well and love them here in Utah. I'm afraid of brining them to Alaska and carrying around heavy sponges with all the rain Alaska gets. Maybe bringing a synthetic waterproof glove would work? I know that its nearly impossible to keep your hands dry, that's why I just decided to take the talus and accept hands being wet but having the wool to keep them somewhat warm?
    Best outer layer glove I've tried for wet is the Kuiu Yukon glove. I have a pair set back for my moose hunt. I can put them over a merino liner glove so they hopefully keep the wool dry, but it's still wool underneath if they get wet, and the Kuiu stops wind pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    Best outer layer glove I've tried for wet is the Kuiu Yukon glove. I have a pair set back for my moose hunt. I can put them over a merino liner glove so they hopefully keep the wool dry, but it's still wool underneath if they get wet, and the Kuiu stops wind pretty well.
    I was looking at the Yukon, but it just seemed like a heavier glove than what would be needed for this time of year?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's thin but not real breathable. It over a liner is pretty warm. If it's rainy and windy though warm is good.

14. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post