Early stages of planning a 2019 caribou hunt.

204guy

WKR
Walt Maslin are you up on your forum sponsorship dues coming here pushing business like that? FWIW I wouldn't hunt with Walt if it was given to me free and then he tried to pay me. Anybody wondering what this guy is about go over to the 24hourcampfire look up his posts under the same user name.

The 24 hour campfire is political Gib Jab and this is hunting. I respect your opinion and thats ok...I have an area of expertise and if it helps a group in their planning process well thats good to...How is the weather in Buffalo ?

I just grilled up the last of my caribou one of the tastiest critters I've ever ate. Well worth the effort to bring it all home

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Funny, the caribou meat from the bulls I shot was the worst game meat I have had. Ended up throwing most of it out.

Maverick940

Banned
Funny, the caribou meat from the bulls I shot was the worst game meat I have had. Ended up throwing most of it out.

I'm not fond of caribou flesh, either, and I grew up in the Alaskan bush and have been a resident since 1964. Even now, I'm not fond of caribou meat. Actually, July and August caribou isn't bad. September caribou is barely tolerable though, and of course, October/November caribou is atrocious. I don't at all like winter caribou, either. It's an acquired taste, for the most part. But for me, I'm only interested in eating summer caribou.

I'm not fond of caribou flesh, either, and I grew up in the Alaskan bush and have been a resident since 1964. Even now, I'm not fond of caribou meat. Actually, July and August caribou isn't bad. September caribou is barely tolerable though, and of course, October/November caribou is atrocious. I don't at all like winter caribou, either. It's an acquired taste, for the most part. But for me, I'm only interested in eating summer caribou.
And this may have something to do with it. I believe we were hunting in September and we had been warned that the bulls meat quality was bad as they began rutting. They were right!

I don't know what it is that causes that, I've never noticed a rutting whitetail tasting bad.

Just got back and can tell you that early September Caribou meat is awesome! I'll go through some pics and try to start a thread soon about it, but strap steaks over a campfire had us fighting each other for the last piece!