Early stages of planning a 2019 caribou hunt.

Nuke Man

WKR
Ok guys as stated I'm in the very very early stages of planning a bou hunt. Looking at 2019. I've got all the gear I would need so I am looking at a fly in drop off hunt. With all the talk about unit closures and declining herds it's a bit overwhelming as to where to look. I know there are a lot of extremely knowledgeable individuals on here. Where are some good places to look as well as good transportation services. If you were coming from the Midwest doing your first Alaskan hunt where would you start? I plan on rifle hunting too. I will have at least a couple weeks of vacation time to burn aswell. Trophy quality takes a backseat to bringing home meat.
I've done 3 western DIY hunts so not a complete noob but not a seasoned vet either. I sincerely would appreciate any help/info you guys would be so kind to give. Thanks.

Stid2677

WKR
I would look at the 40 Mile herd and booking with 40 Mile Air, or one of the other transporters working that area. About the most "stable herd" IMHO, super cub hunt is cool too. Book early popular hunt. Logistics are not bad but the cost will be in the 3 to 5 K range each would guess.

Steve

The Porcupine herd is the only herd that the ADF&G say is growing currently. It is also the closest to Canada and one of the more expensive to access. I am heading up this September to hunt the Central Arctic herd, and will have a lot more information to share once I get back.

My analysis is you have basically 3 options.

1) True DIY, fly commercial someplace, rent a car, hike or paddle in, and hike or paddle out
2) Drop hunt. Fly commercial, then fly air transporter to a lake or landing strip, hunt from your camp, get picked up at the same place later.
3) Drop float. Fly commercial, then fly air transporter to a river someplace, and float out with your camp and meat to a vehicle or another pickup location.

There are variations on each of these, depending on when and where you hunt, budget, etc.
I can tell you that you need to book early, so your timeline for 2019 is solid. I was looking at some air transporter options, and the average cost per person was between $2500 and $3500. That is to fly into and out of the bush. That doesn't take into account the commercial flight(s) and / or rental car to get to where the bush plane takes off from.

I have an Alaska Airlines credit card, and used miles to buy my commercial flight for this trip. My total out of pocket was about $11 for my commercial flight. I used that savings of about $650 over a purchase price of the tickets to justify some better rain gear purchases.

Be aware that the rules can change on you too. I purchased two tags last December at the urging of ADF&G before they increased their prices. A month later, they had a Board of Game meeting and reduced the non resident bull limit to one from two in the unit we are hunting. No refunds on the tags, but you can use tags on "lesser game animals" like wolves.

Our transporter required a 50% nonrefundable deposit. Then the federal subsistence board tried to make our hunting unit closed to non local hunters. We didn't find out for sure if we could actually hunt until about 2 weeks ago, less than two months before our trip.

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
Be aware that the rules can change on you too. I purchased two tags last December at the urging of ADF&G before they increased their prices. A month later, they had a Board of Game meeting and reduced the non resident bull limit to one from two in the unit we are hunting. No refunds on the tags, but you can use tags on "lesser game animals" like wolves.

Our transporter required a 50% nonrefundable deposit. Then the federal subsistence board tried to make our hunting unit closed to non local hunters. We didn't find out for sure if we could actually hunt until about 2 weeks ago, less than two months before our trip.

That's the kind of thing that's got me concerned.

colonel00

WKR

Interesting. We did the same and one in our group picked up two tags. After that decision, he contacted them and was able to get a refund. It was pretty clearly justified when they made a decision like that.

Interesting. We did the same and one in our group picked up two tags. After that decision, he contacted them and was able to get a refund. It was pretty clearly justified when they made a decision like that.

I spoke with the Fairbanks office, (Beth Leonart) and she said that because a second tag could be used elsewhere in the state, they wouldn't issue a refund. I may pursue it more in person in September. Thank you for the info.

colonel00

WKR
Hmm, well at a minimum they could refund the difference between the bou tag and the next one down which is black bear I believe (not looking at it right now). But still, I'd press it pretty hard. I'll see if I can find out who my buddy contacted about his.

mmcneil

FNG
I've got a hunt booked with 40 mile air for this year. We leave in a few weeks. I can let you know more when I get back.

Maverick940

Banned
I understand that you're going on your first caribou hunt, but there's really no reason to not try and kill a really, really big one. I mean, why not? But for that, I'd be submitting a permit application for the various draw permit areas. A couple of caribou herds that historically and consistently produce bull caribou in excess of 400 inches, are the DCH and the TMCH.

OP
N

Nuke Man

WKR
I honestly couldn't care about record book antler size.
If something happened and I could only take antlers or meat, the antlers would get left behind.
I appreciate the info, and I may look into it. But draws, even here in the lower 48 don't interest me.

Maverick940

Banned
I honestly couldn't care about record book antler size.
If something happened and I could only take antlers or meat, the antlers would get left behind.
I appreciate the info, and I may look into it. But draws, even here in the lower 48 don't interest me.

Good for you! Congratulations!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just grilled up the last of my caribou one of the tastiest critters I've ever ate. Well worth the effort to bring it all home

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I spoke to someone in the Fairbanks office a few weeks back who stated they were issuing refunds for one tag to those who had purchased two and could only use one in their planned destination due to the change. I don't recall the man's name but it may be worth a second inquiry.

Good evening Gents:

My name is Walt and I own Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitting up here in Alaska. This thread is right up my alley so I thought I would interject a few thoughts. Please keep in mind I am a hunt planner and outfitter in the southern Brooks Range but I am not trying to push my business....Well...To hard!

Ok. When planning a Caribou or a Moose hunt you need to start 12 to 18 months out. This is VERY important because you are trying to educate yourself on a topic you may know nothing about and really Alaska is like a foreign country. Seek guidance! I work in units 25, 26 and 23 which covers an area larger than most of the mid west and to be 100% truthful I have a lot of knowledge about lots of drainages and very little knowledge about lots of drainages. I am alway asking other pilots and outfitters seeking insight.

Caribou: Really a simple hunt when compared to many of our other species. Caribou are migrating critters who are always on the move. You don't call them in and you don't stalk them. Caribou hunting is lots of glassing and lots of moving trying to put yourself infont of these migrating Monarchs . You will be hunting wide open tundra and your ability to make a kill shot on an animal that is 250+ yards out is critical. A .243, .270 or a .308 is plenty of gun and all are killing machines at 300-400 yards. Expect to pack that animal 1-2 miles. Anything more than that is really to far.

The majority of my clients choose to do a float hunt over a drop hunt and we have seen over the past 18 years that our float hunters see more game and bring home larger bulls than drop hunts. I am guessing but 60-65% choose float hunts. Float hunts are more costly and require moving camps 2-3 times over a 10 day hunt and that is a major drawback.

Moose Hunts:

Lots more work period. Caribou migrate hundreds of miles but moose tend to die with in 20-40 miles from where they were born. It's really easy to choose an area that has poor moose numbers and your ability to harvest a 50+/4 brow tine moose may be very limited. Moose hunts take research if your going to be successful on a DIY hunt.

75% of my moose clients choose float hunts and we all know moose like wet areas so the ability to move around a boggy area is the ticket. I moose hunt using a .308. I can throw a 175 grain bullet out there and it does the job nicely. I have also dropped a number of moose with my .270 but now shot placement becomes more important. My recommendation is choose a caliber that you are most comfortable with and it does not have to be a cannon! Really your going to be hunting much closer with moose and your will not be shooting much over 150 yards and most of the time you will be under 100 yards. I think your ability to shoot a bullet that is in the 200 grain range is about perfect. Less meat damage and a clean shot.

Processing a moose is a long process. I can cut up and process a caribou in about an hour or so but a moose can be an all day ordeal. Having a meat processing kit is wonderful! I had a client give me an Outdoor Edge processing kit many years ago and it works great! Link: Skinning Knives for Game Processing | Outdoor Edge. Bone saw is critical for the fibs and brisket, they are HUGE on a large moose.

Packing: An old native elder told me one time,,"If you can't see your camp or your boat, don't pull the trigger" Great advise because the reality is packing a hind quarter on a big moose is about 160-170 pounds..One of my clients showed me a neat trick to move moose and it really works nicely. Take a small but sturdy kids sled with you and clip it with a caribiner to your pack frame. Load it with moose and skid it right along! Now that hind 1/4 does not feel so darn heavy! Never too old to learn guys!

Costs:

The flight is your major price tag when you reach the field. My drop camps are only $600 a week for a 3 man group and the rafts are about $800 but the flight will be the biggie. Most caribou hunts will set you back about $3200 per person and most moose hunts are in the $4,000 range. Longer flights and more meat will cost more so always keep that I'm mind!

Ok enough for now...

Look us up and I will be happy to answer any questions any of you have.

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters - About us

Attachments

• 828690_orig-1.jpg
    828690_orig-1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 5618150_orig.jpg
    5618150_orig.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 6594722_orig.jpg
    6594722_orig.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 65