? on cooler size for caribou meat and cape

rlmmarine

WKR
next week I leave for a central barren ground caribou hunt . I have two tags and was told that I can only bring back the backstraps and tenderloins and the inuit people get the rest. my question is what size cooler to bring for two caps and four set of meat\. I'm thinking of bringing a yeti 65 or going with a Columbia soft sided 50 can cooler or due I need bigger or more.
Any help would be appreciated thanks Robert

KJH

WKR
What do you do with the rest of the meat? It's freakin awesome this time of year.

I can get 2 boned out caribou in 100lb fish boxes. A cape would take a lot more... you might be able to get 2 capes in one cooler.

Jimss

WKR
You might wait until you are up there and get your caribou before making a decision. If you fly out of Anchorage there is a Cabelas, Walmart, etc where you can buy coolers. Another option is insulated salmon/halibut fish boxes available at the same places. Take a look at the airline size and weight limitations. You may be able to get 2 capes and meat inside the same box or cooler. Most airlines are 50 lb max before they charge extra. I've been on a number of sheep/goat/fishing trips the past few years. I bought a fairly large "Action Packer" on my last trip. I put my sheep lifesized cape plus horns/skull inside it. I froze the cape before I left and put it inside a plastic garbage bag inside my sleeping bag. It was frozen when I arrived home. If you let them know at the check in gate in Anchorage that you have meat they will place it in cold storage until they load the plane. I'm not sure but they may have cold storage in Seattle if you have a hold-over flight. If you can freeze your capes and meat before heading home it may be worth it? There are meat lockers in Anchorage and elsewhere that will likely do this for you. May be worth an extra day in Anchorage to get all this done?

First, I'd make sure the capes are fleshed and salted, and hopefully at least partially dry, although with a last minute bull, this isn't possible. Wrap the salted capes up, hair side out, salt and all and stuff into a game bag (regular or large old pillow cases work well). You can tie cord around the game bags to compress the cape a bit if space is an issue. Salt will cure the hides so they won't spoil. As Jimss says above, freezing is another option but may be hard to achieve.....and doubt you are going through Anchorage on a CBG Caribou hunt that ends back in Daytona. As per cooler size, four caribou loins and four backstraps aren't very heavy or going to take up much space, and again will easily fit in a regular pillow case game bag with a lot of room to spare. I'd check your coolers to see if how 3 bed pillows fit in each one, and take the one that seems to work the best. Oh, and place each cape and the meat bag into tough plastic bags. Don't buy treated garbage bags as that will contaminate the meat......or at least turn them inside out prior to use. Good luck on your hunt......who are you going with?

If you are flying I'd stay away from Yeti type coolers. They weigh too much. Check out the Coleman 70qt Xtreme Cooler. Pretty lightweight and you can get a pretty good amount in there.

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
Thankyou all for your replies
The rest of the meat is supposed to go to the Inuit people I'm planning on bring as much home as they will let me but they are telling me they are pretty strict on this.
My hunt is out of Thompson canada with webbers outfitters. I'm going to try taking 2 50 can soft side columbia coolers up in my extremely large pelican case. I'm thinking I can put the two capes in one and the meat in the other wrapped in plastic. Then put the soft side coolers wrapped in my sleeping bag and some dry ice in the pelican case to contain any spill. Or should I take a 85 qt yeti and pay the fees upthere. I don't think they will hit me with fees for the pelican case. I usually use it to contain all my dive gear on trips headed south and I don't get dinged for it
What's you thoughts
Thanks again

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord