DC590 '17 Caribou Success Recap

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I will say, once you get lucky on the draw and have a tag in your pocket this is everything but an easy hunt, especially if you want lots of opportunity. I spoke with Mike, Matt and a handful of other 590 tag holders and all seem to have a similar story. We worked very hard to get the two opportunities that we got! They were the only two bulls that we would even consider shooting. However, it is beautiful country and there is potential to kill a nice bou!

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats. The wife is sitting on DC590 tag this year that we had to put off till winter because of life. We will take the snowmachines and try to fill the tag hopefully before the antlers drop.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
One thing that amazed us was how many sheds were out there! Seriously unbelievable! When we would glass up on the mountain faces you could find a dozen plus sets just randomly laying around the hill sides! I would love to go up there during the winter. Will you be following the Talkeetna up river?

Congrats. The wife is sitting on DC590 tag this year that we had to put off till winter because of life. We will take the snowmachines and try to fill the tag hopefully before the antlers drop.

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
We will probably focus on the southern parts of the DC590 area and probably will not be too picky on the animal we use to fill the tag ether.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Well now that I have had caribou backstrap over the grill, I would find my self ready to harvest anything to get some more! Have fun good luck!

We will probably focus on the southern parts of the DC590 area and probably will not be too picky on the animal we use to fill the tag ether.

Tripp238

Lil-Rokslider
Great hunt. I did DC590 on condensed hunt in 2015 because of bad fly in weather. Went through Meekins air also and we both tagged out. It was one of the most memorable hunts and I️ can’t wait to get the tag again. I️ could go for 10 days up there next time and learn from my mistakes. Congrats on the success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
If I am able to go back I would go 10 days as well, there's just not high numbers of caribou out there. Do you have pictures of your caribou? I'm very curious what comes out of the area.

Great hunt. I did DC590 on condensed hunt in 2015 because of bad fly in weather. Went through Meekins air also and we both tagged out. It was one of the most memorable hunts and I️ can’t wait to get the tag again. I️ could go for 10 days up there next time and learn from my mistakes. Congrats on the success.

Tripp238

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, nothing impressive but I️ wasn’t looking for trophies. I’m a fan of filling the freezer then being selective because $1000 flight out, I️ couldn’t afford to come home empty handed.
b3f33af674daed0f28544f5235e31028.jpg

I️ can vouch that there are some beasts in there. Flooded with bear, sheep and had a bull moose come up on us.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Nice bou. We had the same sightings of animals on our hunt as well! I'd love to have a grizz tag there, we almost killed an absolutely beautiful black bear as well.

Yes, nothing impressive but I️ wasn’t looking for trophies. I’m a fan of filling the freezer then being selective because $1000 flight out, I️ couldn’t afford to come home empty handed.
b3f33af674daed0f28544f5235e31028.jpg

I️ can vouch that there are some beasts in there. Flooded with bear, sheep and had a bull moose come up on us.

Dhosera

FNG
Acmckerage03 & Tripp238......BIL drew the bou tag for 2018 and I'll be going along with a Grizz tag. Sent you a PM...>Would like to talk more in detail about your hunt. Feel free to email me [email protected] as I'm pretty new on this site and unsure of my messaging privileges quite yet.

Thanks - Derek -