2018 or 2019 CARIBOU HUNT FOR MY SON AND I

brown4christ

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to take my son to Alaska for a caribou hunt in the next 2 years. I personally prefer DIY(more cost effective and rewarding). I know there are countless places and ways to do this! I am open to suggestions. Yes, I want to shoot large antlered animals as well as take the meat home. I just finished a DIY for moose in Ak and was successful in harvesting a moose and bear and my friend got a caribou. I would not go to this area looking for trophy caribou or caribou numbers. We only saw 4 caribou in 14 days.
I prefer to fly up from the lower 48 instead of driving. I am a known shipper with Alaska air cargo so that helps in returning meat and racks. (Just some extra Info if it helps).

Thanks for your help

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
I was very satisfied with my DC590 tag and flying with Meekins air service! Its a good low cost option for non residents. I posted a thread on my experience.

bmrfish

WKR
Arrowhead outfitters is probably a safe reasonably priced option. They do drop hunts on the north slope for the central Arctic herd. I beleive they fly out of the happy valley strip. If you have not been to the north slope it is a cool experience. I have never hunted with them as I prefer float hunts but would like to still some year. They are an outfitter not just a transporter so they do track herd movement and drop you in the path of the herd from my understanding which leads to very high success rates however once on the ground it is completely DIY. They have a pretty good website as well just google arrowhead outfitters.

Lots on internet back and forth on this transporter. Do your research

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
B4C,

Keep in mind that the better transporters and outfitters are booking now or are booked for 2018.......2019 may be more realistic.

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck with your research. Do a lot of it prior to looking at Bushwacker air. If you decide to look at him shoot me an email and I'll give you my experience.

Arrowhead outfitters is probably a safe reasonably priced option. They do drop hunts on the north slope for the central Arctic herd. I beleive they fly out of the happy valley strip. If you have not been to the north slope it is a cool experience. I have never hunted with them as I prefer float hunts but would like to still some year. They are an outfitter not just a transporter so they do track herd movement and drop you in the path of the herd from my understanding which leads to very high success rates however once on the ground it is completely DIY. They have a pretty good website as well just google arrowhead outfitters.

Coming from the lower 48 the best way to do this would probably be to fly into Fairbanks and rent a truck and drive to the happy valley strip via the haul road, you will get to drive through the brooks range on this route. A last note is that the central Arctic herd population is definitely in a low period right now and people haven't been as successful recently as in the past. That being said I would think being dropped in front of the herd would still almost guarantee seeing numerous caribou.

1) 4K is not reasonably priced for a caribou drop.
2) They do not fly out of happy valley, much further north out of a float pond.
3) They drop you on whatever lake they want, sometimes caribou are nearby, other times they are not.
4) Who are they going to rent a vehicle from in Fairbanks that allows travel on the haul rd?
5) Who recommends an outfit they have no experience with?

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
Another options is look at flying into zone 2 for the 40 mile herd. If your wanting this hunt next you need to reserve your air transport now.

todd h

FNG
I would look at the 40 mile caribou herd. talk to Zak at tok air service, hunted with him this year. top notch, will do what he says

VernAK

WKR
I've been doing fly-in hunts for nearly a half century and have had some interesting times with various bush flying outfits. You can expect weather delays on either end of your hunt but I try to minimize any human controlled screw-ups. I look for an outfit with multiple, very experienced pilots of good reputation with multiple aircraft with the best maintenance and a qualified maintenance staff.

Buck2747

FNG
Vern is is there a way to qualify the pilots experience other than simply asking for years in the air? Location for most hours? And preferred aircrafts? Also how would oneask about the qualifications of the maintenance staff? I have just started my search for a DIY hunt planning on caribou 2019 and if all goes well maybe Moose 2021. Been doing a lot of internet searches as one now and find mixed reviews for most searches. I figure a lot is personal preferences and or expectations possibly not being met. If you can provide any assistance on questions to ask that may be helpful in my research I would greatly appreciate it.

Buck2747

FNG
Plenty, can you PM me your info on bushwhacker. I was looking at them for my hunt and would be interested in your experience. Thank you

SHPetty

FNG
I have a 3 man group booked for DIY drop camp caribou hunt with Arctic Air Flying for Sept 2019 out of Kotzebue in unit 23. Just read were they have reopened all federal lands to all hunters for 2018 and the WACH herd numbers have increased in the latest aerial survey. First hunt in Alaska and we are really looking forward to it. Any and all tips for this hunt would be greatly appreciated.

VernAK

WKR
Vern is is there a way to qualify the pilots experience other than simply asking for years in the air? Location for most hours? And preferred aircrafts? Also how would oneask about the qualifications of the maintenance staff? I have just started my search for a DIY hunt planning on caribou 2019 and if all goes well maybe Moose 2021. Been doing a lot of internet searches as one now and find mixed reviews for most searches. I figure a lot is personal preferences and or expectations possibly not being met. If you can provide any assistance on questions to ask that may be helpful in my research I would greatly appreciate it.

Buck, This site is a good place to start as you know but you can ask prospective flight services about years in business and number
of aircraft. Do they have a hangar and mechanic?

You may get more info by PMing members also.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would contact local pilots out of Kotz and ask them about this outfits rep in the region.

Jared Cummings would be a good start with Gold Eagle Outfitters. Or Eric Sieh with Arctic Backcountry Flying

If Arctic Air Flying Service gets a good rating from these two, rest easy. If they don't, beware. Not only is the NW a political caribou hot spot, huntable locations are used and reused by local pilots and those like your guy who base in Kotz when hunting is available and then go elsewhere to make their bottom line work for the plane.

You should also ask the NTSB (google search) for the owner's record and his plane(s).

Hope this helps

lb

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I had a great caribou drop camp hunt north of Kotzebue with Alaska Wilderness Charters back in 2006 that we booked through Cabela's. We both shot 2 bulls in 2 mornings of hunting and I was able to take one of mine with a bow. The tundra was pretty rough walking and we needed to Wade across a river to get to where the animals were. It was quite a bit of work but one of my most memorable hunts ever!

Jared

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk