Caribou on Kodiak

Beendare

WKR
They aren't difficult to hunt....we wnet 2 for 2 with bows.

tip; check to make sure you can get the tags at the couple sporting goods spots in kodiak city.

They told us no problem over the phone...then when we got there, they only had 2 tags..sucked.....the GW told us he could get more in a couple days...that doesn't do you any good. Buy them in anchorage is best bet.

Not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread yet, but I've been told that the "caribou" on Kodiak do not breed/rut the same time as other caribou herds in Alaska. Not sure if that is right or wrong, but I am certain that's what I was told. So shooting a bull in October likely isn't the end of the world.

Additionally, I ate caribou meat from an October bull not long ago and it tasted just fine.

Kimbersig

WKR
Not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread yet, but I've been told that the "caribou" on Kodiak do not breed/rut the same time as other caribou herds in Alaska. Not sure if that is right or wrong, but I am certain that's what I was told. So shooting a bull in October likely isn't the end of the world.

Additionally, I ate caribou meat from an October bull not long ago and it tasted just fine.

that is true I believe they rut earlier than caribou. my kodiak bull from mid September was not edible at all.