Caribou Tongue Dinner Tonight

carter33

WKR
How many out there have tried caribou tongue and how do you prepare it?

I took my buddy hunting last weekend for the 40 mile winter hunt and we both took a bou. He is of Hispanic descent and between him saying how good lingua is and knowing other people in alaska consider caribou tongue a delicacy I decided to give it a try. I have cut it into bite size pieces, browned it in a pan and now it is simmering with tomato sauce, jalapeños, onions and green peppers. I plan to let it simmer for about three hours then give it a try. Will post my thoughts.

Haven't done caribou tongue, but have eaten a lot of moose tongue. The way I learned it was to boil for several hrs until it's reasonably tender and then peal and cut into thin slices. Be interested in how your method turns out.

Headed up for 40 Mile bou in the morning myself.

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
Good luck tomorrow morning.

I can say the flavor and texture of this dish is pretty damn good. It's taking me a bit to get through the thought of tongue having never had it but it is good. I think the more I eat the more I will like it. I will continue to save/eat the tongue in the future, which must means it's a success.

boom

WKR
i saved the deer tongue last season. they are tiny!!

i slow boil them. then peel, then saute them in mexican based veggies..similar to the OP. effen great. but again..tiny.

i love lengua.

Moose tongue stew is to die for.

When we kill a sheep, we keep the heart, liver, oysters, tongue, belly fat, and even the jowl meat.

rlmmarine

WKR
Had it in nunavut last season
The Inuit showed me how to cook it and I did it for my wife
Boil it until it gets blisters on the outside , slice, and salt it . It taste just like pork tenderloin awesome stuff

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Caribou tongue is fantastic!!! Pressure cooker for 30min. Then peel the outer layer. Then slice it and slow cook it with seasonings/sauce. The taste is so good. The wife threatens me if I ever forget to save the tongue from any game. Don’t know anyone (hunter or non) that doesn’t love it.

Stid2677

WKR
I dust them in taco seasoning, vacuum seal and cook Sous Vide at 158 for 36 hours. Once done I shock in an ice bath and then peel the outer skin, shred/dice removing excess fat. Sear off in a smoking hot cast iron skillet. Served on fresh corn tortillas heated and charred, with pico and chipotle mayo.

These were dredged in flour after and fried just long enough to brown crust.

Topped with picked carrots and cotija cheese.

1WvfJ9mh.jpg

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
tongue is one of my favorite cuts of meat (OK, I pretty much like them all!)

I do the boil, peel, slice but most of the time. When I boil I do it with celery carrots and onions (mirepoix)