Caribou Hunt

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Rocksliders! Another Noob here! We are 4 guys from Minnesota that want to do a boo hunt in Alaska. We do have some physical limitations as we are all 63-65 years old. Mind you we don't mind a challenge, just that we can't hike for miles on end to get to where we can start hunting. We will likely also have some issues with long distance hikes and heavy packs. All that said, 3 of us have successfully hunted elk in Colorado, Wyoming and Utah. (Semi guided and unguided). We are also avid DIY duck hunters. On our duck hunts, we camp for a week at a time. We have most car camp type gear, and are not opposed to purchasing light weight gear if necessary. We have guns...30-06 and 300 Win Mag. This hunt is planned for August 2019. For the most part, we do not see a fixed time schedule, as we are all retired.

So enough about us....

We are looking to do an economical caribou hunt, driving to Alaska from Minnesota, and maybe throw in some fishing. We have read enough now to know that we are getting at least 1 wolf tag per hunter. Other than that, what are some suggestions from the "been there done that" Rocksliders? Fly in? Recommendations on air service? (We have looked at a hunt with Allalaska. Comments?) Drive to area? gear? Guns? Gear rental? Feel free to PM if you need to.

As we are just starting the research, anything will help.

Thanks in advance!

MNBill

Ray

WKR
"We are looking to do an economical caribou hunt, driving to Alaska from Minnesota, and maybe throw in some fishing."

"Economical" and "air service for four" are not part of the same hunt. With that many people and gear, once you have four bulls down you will probably need a second flight to haul the critters out. Nothing economical about that.

The most economical caribou hunt is the Dalton Highway archery hunt within the 5-mile corridor. Fitness is the most expensive part of that hunt and many people can only pay that bill once before they quit and stay at the truck. The tundra up there stops people all the time. And the nothing to hide behind stick flinging.

I'd say that you might want to head to talk to Brooks Range Aviation about one of their drop camps. Lots of folks use them and are happy with the experience. Their Beaver on floats should keep the flights down to just one in and out.

OP
M

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the Replies guys. I will take a look at Brooks Range also. Any opinions on Tok Air?

Thanks

Bill

OP
M

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info and PM's guys! Keep it coming! We are learning a lot!

MNBill

jbw899

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I went to Alaska for a caribou hunt last fall. We're both 30 and knew the tundra would be tough but it was a lot harder than we thought it would be, especially when packing out meat. We missed the migration and had to work pretty hard for our bulls but both were able to kill. We hired an outfitter with an airboat to get away from the Dalton highway. Nothing about going to Alaska is cheap, costs will add up quickly, even if you're DYI so keeping the trip 'economical' may be difficult. Al in all it was a tough hunt but an awesome experience! PM if you'd like more info.

OP
M

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, first, a big THANKS for all the replies and the PMs. We got a lot of good information.
We just spent a week driving to and from and hunting hogs in Texas. This has become an annual deal for us. More importantly, we had a chance to discuss a (possible) caribou hunt and logistics. The general thought is that we do not want a fly in hunt. There was some concern about the cost and some concern about being too far away from civilization. We are OK with looking at this as a trip to see some great scenery and maybe get a bonus caribou or four. Next, meat is more important that horns.

I have read a lot about this hunt, and it looks like the Dalton Road hunt may be a fit for us. I have read about the crowds and the fact that we may come away with only tag soup. As I said, if that is the way it goes, then so be it. So, it seems like GMU 13 is resident only? Is GMU 13 only on the south side of the Denali Road? GMU 20 appears not to have a resident restriction? Is GMU 20 accessible from the Denali Road? Is GMU 20 just on the north side of the Denali Road?

If there are better GMUs that fit out criteria, please let us know.

TIA,

MNBill

hodgeman

WKR
GMU 13 is resident only and extends to both sides of the Denali Hwy. GMU 20 is north of the Denali at the peaks of the AK Range- not really accessible from there.

You can hunt the Dalton from a road camp or fly in- the fly in will have better odds of success and get you out of the archery corridor- either way you're going to be pretty far from what you'd consider civilization as the Dalton is pretty much a gravel road through a long uninhabited chunk of the state.

If this was my only trip to AK- I'd spend the dough on a fly in. You can economize everywhere else. One thing, take a small chest freezer and a small generator on your drive- freeze the meat for the drive home, much cheaper than shipping 4 caribou. You only have to run the freezer for a few hours a day to keep it frozen.

You might also consider an outfitted hunt on Adak. The hunting is about the same level of difficulty but the animals are somewhat more predictable.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if your going to have to rent a truck that is permitted on haul road(Go North or similar) you'll find your pretty close to fly out prices anyway

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tod osier

WKR
Ok, first, a big THANKS for all the replies and the PMs. We got a lot of good information.
We just spent a week driving to and from and hunting hogs in Texas. This has become an annual deal for us. More importantly, we had a chance to discuss a (possible) caribou hunt and logistics. The general thought is that we do not want a fly in hunt. There was some concern about the cost and some concern about being too far away from civilization. We are OK with looking at this as a trip to see some great scenery and maybe get a bonus caribou or four. Next, meat is more important that horns.

I have read a lot about this hunt, and it looks like the Dalton Road hunt may be a fit for us. I have read about the crowds and the fact that we may come away with only tag soup. As I said, if that is the way it goes, then so be it. So, it seems like GMU 13 is resident only? Is GMU 13 only on the south side of the Denali Road? GMU 20 appears not to have a resident restriction? Is GMU 20 accessible from the Denali Road? Is GMU 20 just on the north side of the Denali Road?

If there are better GMUs that fit out criteria, please let us know.

TIA,

MNBill

One thing that I’m not seeing is that you understand is that the dalton highway hunt is an archery only hunt unless you hike five miles from the road. The hike is supposed to be tough.

Nothing in Alaska isinexpensive.

OP
M

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry if I didn't make it clear in the first post. Yes, we are driving, and yes, we are retired. Another area where I received several PMs and posts concerns cost. When I said "economical" my intent was to avoid high priced guided hunts at $5-7K or more per hunter. While we can all afford that type of hunt, we see no good reason to do so. So, I guess what we are looking for is a Denali Road type hunt where a no resident can get a tag, and have some chance at a boo. Is there such a thing? Dalton road is out as we are rifle hunters, and I don't think we are up for a 5+ mile hike in and a 5+ mile hike out.

TIA

MNBill

Trial153

WKR
Honestly while you don’t have to spring 5k a guy for guided hunt. Your probably still looking at needing some air transport to get anyplace worth while. You can find several decent outfits that will fly you in with your equipment or even their equipment and supplies. Unfortunately while there maybe ..possibly...might be ....some place you can drive to and get in a decent hunt I can’t see you getting that information here. If it even exists in any practical doable sense.
Sorry to burst your bubble but air transport is a fact of life in Alaska.

Merc

FNG
Sorry if I didn't make it clear in the first post. Yes, we are driving, and yes, we are retired. Another area where I received several PMs and posts concerns cost. When I said "economical" my intent was to avoid high priced guided hunts at $5-7K or more per hunter. While we can all afford that type of hunt, we see no good reason to do so. So, I guess what we are looking for is a Denali Road type hunt where a no resident can get a tag, and have some chance at a boo. Is there such a thing? Dalton road is out as we are rifle hunters, and I don't think we are up for a 5+ mile hike in and a 5+ mile hike out.

TIA

MNBill

I think y'all are going to need to look at fly in, fly out or see if there is anyone running airboats up North. Another option is a fly in, float out, then your only paying for one way flights, especially if you can locally source boats at home.

I just booked my flights for this coming fall, solo (since my hunting partner bailed) and I'm looking at around 4k all in. Should be able to get less than that for each person.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Diesel

WKR
Where to start?

First off the drive up is doable, if, you have the time, and are prepared. It's a long way over roads that are not interstate. The scenery is worth it, again, if you have the time to take it in and enjoy it. Otherwise fly. Nonstop if at all possible. Lost guns by the airlines can hold things up for days. We drove from Pa to Chicago jut to be able to do a nonstop flight.

Four guys and all your gear takes up a lot of room for one vehicle. You guys from Minnesota know cold, so you will know what to bring for clothes.

Second, buy the paperback book "Hunt Alaska Now" by Dennis Confer and believe everything he say in there. It is Gospel.

Third, Call Cabelas booking service and ask about Bou hunts. Sometimes they have cancellations that can be filled at considerable savings. Check out some other drop camp outfits for price, but Cabelas is reliable from my experience. You can fly up early, rent a vehicle and check out stuff and then fly in to a drop camp, do the hunt fly back out and rent a vehicle and explore more if wanted. That saves having to have all the camping gear and is no fuss. Last time we did it the fly in weight restriction for each person was 50 lbs plus rifle and what is in your pockets. Donate most of the meat to save shipping. Take what meat you want home frozen in one of your suitcases or duffels if you are flying.

If you kill and want to bring it back, driving yourselves handles that. If you fly up you can ship racks back split or whole, depends on the wallet and each guy can make their own call.

Sounds like you guys are more about the experience and a kill would be a bonus. That's fine, and if that is the case do the drop camp and relax, no pressure to have to kill yourselves hiking over miles of knee wrenching, ankle twisting, boggy terrain. Hunt hard if you want or enjoy just being there. Caribou can be put down relatively easy, but you need to be prepared to handle the meat. Again, read the book I recommended and you will understand why I bring it up.

Depending on the week you are going to hunt, bugs can be a factor. Take headnets. And hip boots. And some snacks you like cause drop camp fare is just adequate in general. And a camera.

There is a wealth of experience and knowledge here from many at Rokslide and many ways to go about your hunt. Good bunch here.

If you have never been to Alaska it is an outstanding adventure and high time you get there.

Diesel

WKR
Just reread your original post.

Your concerns about being too far from civilization can be eased knowing that most drop camp operations have several camps out there. So they are checking with you every so often as fly overs. They usually have a flagging system that you put out if you have meat or need help. You can also rent sat phones for communication. I have no experience with the newest technologies like 'In Reach" but that may be an option.

Weather is always unknown, so schedules can be disrupted along with the flights.

Don't be intimated by all the logistics. You only live once, so give her hell.