.308 or 6.5 creed

rblosser

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to decide which to bring on a AK hunt. Confident in both to 500y so my gut tells me the 30cal pill but looking for suggestions.

The 6.5 is plenty of medicine for the caribou however it's sure nice to have the heavier bullet if (worst case scenario) a grizz is encountered.

V65Magna

FNG
I'd go with whichever you are more comfortable with at the range you anticipate shooting. I have a Savage FCP-SR in .308 that I love and would not hesitate taking on a Caribou hunt. I also have a 6.5X47 Lapua and love the 6.5 pills, with those high BCs, as they are less susceptible to wind drift at extended ranges. However, this benefit does not significantly come into play until you're reaching out to a range where either cartridge becomes a bit marginal on a critter that size anyway, so go with your gut, Grizzlies be damned!

ramont

Lil-Rokslider

Why take less gun when you don't have to. Out to around 4 or 500 yards there isn't that much difference between the trajectories of either gun with typical commercial ammunition but the .308 will have more energy than the Creedmore. The .308 will have big game killing energy out to at least 600 yards or so while the Creedmore will pretty much be done at 400 yards for anything much larger than a caribou.

hodgeman

WKR
I've shot caribou with both as well as the 7-08 and .270... doubt there's a caribou alive that could tell the difference between one or the other under most circumstances.

Shots are caribou tend to be a bit longer than most AK animals....but even then, not terribly hard to get 200-300 yard stalks.

I'd take the one you shoot the best.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I would take the creedmore. If you compare Hornady precision hunter ammo for example in .308 and 6.5 cm they are pretty similar energy wise out to 500 but the 6.5 cm is wayyyyy flatter shooting. Past 500 the cm leaves the .308 in the dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I just started shooting the 6.5 creedmoor less than a year ago. In that time the rifle has taken 5 caribou alone only 1 of those caribou was inside 200 yards and 4 of them were beyond 300 yards with the furthest two at 450 and 470. Zero issues at all. I would use either with confidence. Pick whatever you want. The 6.5 is good for well beyond 400 yards.

Both will work great shoot the one you like better.

I wouldn't let a extreme remote grizzly bear chance steer you towards a .308 over a 6.5 if you are favoring a 6.5. I have seen a number of grizzlies killed with 243 and 308s in the past and this one here died this year to a 6.5 well beyond the suggested 400 yard limit:
3Gkj7o4.jpg

I just started shooting the 6.5 creedmoor less than a year ago. In that time the rifle has taken 5 caribou alone only 1 of those caribou was inside 200 yards and 4 of them were beyond 300 yards with the furthest two at 450 and 470. Zero issues at all. I would use either with confidence. Pick whatever you want. The 6.5 is good for well beyond 400 yards.

I wouldn't let a extreme remote grizzly bear chance steer you towards a .308 over a 6.5 if you are favoring a 6.5. I have seen a number of grizzlies killed with 243 and 308s in the past and this one here died this year to a 6.5 well beyond the suggested 400 yard limit:
3Gkj7o4.jpg

That's awesome Luke! What bullet was that with?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
143 eldx. It did take two of them....but that’s about normal when shooting grizzlies as you keep shooting till they quit moving.

BRWNBR

WKR
I’ve only seen a 6.5 used on Sitka black tail on Kodiak and based off that I’d never buy one. But he was using match bullets that Basicly exploded on impact. A Better bullet would have given me a better impression.

Perhaps I’m a bad source of info though as I’m not a gun nut. My dream gun is a 300 win mag. Because I’ve seen it do everything. And do it Well.

Last edited:

BRWNBR

WKR

3Gkj7o4.jpg

Was that grizzly feeding on that backpack?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yeah that’s a Barney’s pinnacle under there......or it’s a 3 year old bear......I will leave it to the pros with the keen eyes to know for sure. ;)

BRWNBR

WKR
Lol looked liked a Barney’s fanny pack?! Maybe set the rifle back behind it to make the bear look bigger. Lol

Daubsnu1

FNG
We killed 'bou with 7MAG and 30-06. Either gun will serve you well.

Just bring a 44 mag for bear protection.

Or what my hunting partner would bring for bear...

Him: "I'm just brining my 22 pistol."
Me: "WTF? Only a 22...you can't stop a Griz with a 22!"
Him: "Don't need to...the 22's to shoot you in the leg, so I can get away!"
Me: "ass-hat!"

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Why would you bring a 44 mag for bear protection if you had a 7 mag and a 30-06?

I have been shooting the 6.5

So far I am impressed with this round.
I was not 6.5 anti, just never a real fan.

But I am finding new thought patterns on it I didn't know I would have.
lol

I believe they will do the same thing.

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider

3Gkj7o4.jpg
I love that mate, not that I'll ever be able to afford a griz hunt but I always said I'd take my 30-06 if I did. Put it where it hurts and animals go down, don't need no hand cannon!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk