2018 Drop Camp 26A

Merc

FNG
All,

I guess this is my first real thread and I'll be using it to track my hunt this year up on the North Slope for Caribou and any other targets of opportunity I may happen across (I'll be gaining resident status the 15th of August). I've had a coworker and born, raised Alaskan help me with most of the planning to get started on this hunt along with the information I've gleaned from this site. He is leaving me to do the vast majority for myself to help learn.

I sent in my deposit today for a 7 day drop hunt with BRA, I had a partner up until last week when he had to drop out on me due to work rotations changing (we both work overseas). So I will be going in solo and packing both my bow and Kimber 300WSM since flying in solo opens up more weight on the plane for me to bring in.

Is there anything anyone who's done this hunt solo would recommend? I'm no stranger to solo hunting or heavy loads in less than ideal terrain, even though I know the Tundra will be a new experience and getting a plane to drop me off.

I'm still refining my packing list and will post it in the next few days to see if anyone can help me scrub it better.

I guess that's it for now. Thanks.

John

I've never done one solo but I've done two fly out caribou trips into Unit 26 with success as well as a dozen or more trips up to hunt the haul road.

Be prepared for long walks each day in the event there are not many caribou around. Bow hunting the open tundra can be tough at times, but with some patience it is likely you'll get into range. Even though I've shot a few caribou with my bow at 15 yards or so, I feel much better about bowhunting them when I am shooting well out to 70 or 80 yards. I'd recommend using an expandable, but I realize everyone has their preferences.

No tag required for Grizzly bear in 26A, so that's nice to know if you see one.

You can only shoot one bull (unless you are doing RC907, which I am not familiar with), so my advice would be to wait for a good one, if you are seeing good numbers.

I'd try and find a buddy to go with you, there is plenty of time. I also didn't realize that BRA would take out solo hunters, that's good to know.

Most of my hunting on the north slope tundra is done in Muck Boots (knee high rubber) and I've had no issues getting around, makes things easier than having to dry out leather boots each evening.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

OP
M

Merc

FNG
Thanks for info Nick, glad to hear y'all were successful up there.

I am planning on doing the RC907, still doing research into it myself but seems pretty straight forward and allows me to put some meat on the ground before I test my skills in the open tundra with the bow. Speaking of, I know a lot of guys don't like them, but the rage chisel tip extremes have worked well for me before, so I'll probably be bringing them.

Grizzly bear is one that I'm hoping to see and will be bringing a HT in case I happen across one I want to shake hands with.

Plenty of time to find someone, but BRA said they were only going to be able to drop me in on 'their' lake solo since it's small enough to only take their little plane. I had to ask about going out solo, wasn't sure if they'd take me alone but I think Judy said since I was a resident they would.

Good to know about the Muck Boots, I was planning on my regular boots and gaiters, and carrying a set of waders for river/stream crossings when needed. Having done a little map research, I'm also thinking to bring along a packraft.

Shooting you a PM also.

I find tundra extremely tiring to walk on, more so than loose dry sand in terms of effort. It also doesn’t help that sometimes it is firm and flat, while others you sink into holes. Picture walking across a boulder field in complete darkness.

One thing to keep in mind if you’re being picked up by bush plane is that your pickup date may be delayed several days depending on the weather, so bring extra supplies.

Air travel in Alaska is an interesting experience. :D

KJH

WKR
Walking and stalking on that tundra is a nightmare and to be avoided if you can! Easy to twist an ankle and if you do it by yourself would be a miserable few days packing back to camp. I don't mind packing stupid heavy loads in stupid places but the unit 23 & 26 tundra are humbling to me... more so than other places in AK. Only pack a load during daylight is my advice. Use walking sticks.

I'd set your camp on a gravel bar where you can glass from your tent and see the herd coming towards the river. Then get yourself in position where they will cross. Find the traditional river crossings and sit on them. You can see them from the air, so get your pilot to fly around enough for you to get a good idea of your surroundings. Its easy to pack on a gravel bar.

Its one of my favorite trips. I'm glad you're not cancelling due to a partner dropout.

OP
M

Merc

FNG
Does a SKEDCO count as lightweight? Since my hunting partner dropped out I'll have to see about borrowing his.

Was able to get the coordinates for where I'm going to get dropped off at. Have any of y'all used paper maps up there? If so, where did you get them from?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Merc, SKEDCO is perfect. My home made sleds are basically a SKEDCO concept but simplified for cost effective semi-disposable sleds (2-3 seasons).

If you want some local intel on your drop locale, send me a PM or email with coordinates and I'll offer what i know of the area and what you can expect for caribou timing.

good luck, man.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
a parting thought about the sled comment. When money counts and you dont already own one OR dont want to mess with making your own...

small Viking Sleds from walmart or Fred Myer work fine and they are small and lightweight (50% of what a SKEDCO weighs). Plus, you can buy in Alaska and save on shipping it.

carter33

WKR
Here's another sled option worth considering. Siglin_Pulks

They're not dirt cheap, but they are very tough and totally Alaskan.

Agreed on the siglin pulk, particularly the light-weight "racing" pulk. It is a very thin UHMW material that can even be rolled up and carried on a pack. The guy makes them in Fairbanks and on occasion will have blemished sleds he will sell at discount.

OP
M

Merc

FNG
Thanks for all the info and advice so far guys. Since I am going in solo, and have a bit more leeway on weight allowances. I've added the SKEDCO and my packraft to the list along with my muck boots, that way I'll have both avenues covered depending on where he falls if I get lucky.

I will admit I'm terrible at over packing as I've had the "two is one, one is none" mindset drilled into me so much over the years. If there's anything you've ever wished you had, or brought and wouldn't again I'd like to hear about it.

jbw899

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I went on a similar hunt last year, we air boated in though. It probably goes without saying that you'll need good rain gear and optics. Several others mentioned it, but hiking on the tundra isn't too much fun. Find someone to go with you, quartering and hauling a caribou out on your own will be really tough. My buddy and I were exhausted after hauling ours back to camp and we're in fairly good shape. Good Luck!

I did the trip last year with BRA. It's a trip I could do every year if time and money allowed! I took both leather boots with gaiters and hip boots. I lived in my hippers. We saw plenty of caribou and even saw 3 grizz (killed 2 of them). Someone previously said to get to a high spot and glass, that's exactly what we did. Furthest we had to go from camp was 1.38 miles. Tundra sucks, just accept it and go on. I'm not a solo guy but that trip is one I would probably do solo. Good luck and feel free to ask question.

young7.3

WKR
Very interested in your trip.

-What does BRA stand for?
-How many days would you all say a couple first time caribou hunters would need for this area?

OP
M

Merc

FNG
So, I've slowly been tweaking my packing list as this will be my first fly in hunt (backpacking and car camping mostly). I've gleaned a bunch from other hunts on here and elsewhere. If anyone see's anything that isn't there and should be and vice versa please let me know, this is still a working draft. I'm stuck at work overseas and no idea when I'll be getting home so doing an actual bag drag is going to be awhile. (I'm skipping posting a food plan for now).

I am going in solo in I believe a 206 so I don't think I'll be on much of a weight restriction and going to limit myself to 2 'bou if I get lucky.

Clothing- (wearing in Pants, waiters, wading boots, socks, boxers, base layer shirt, puffy, ball cap)
2- Socks
1-Base Layer t-Shirt,
2-Boxer Brief
1-Thermal Pant
1-Med weight shirt
1-Heavy weight shirt
KUIU Zip-off Insulated Pant
KUIU Chugach rain jacket/pant
*Boot
Gaiters
Lightweight gloves (flight)
Fingerless Wool Gloves/Mittens
Neck/face Gaiter
Windproof Beanie
Polarized Glasses

Daily Pack and Equipment- Kuiu pack
Rifle- 300 WSM 20x Bullets
Range Finder
Vortex Binos in Bino Harness - Wind Indicator & lighter w/fire starter, Lens cloth
Tripod
*Spotter (mini or full size?)
PhoneSkope
Kill Kit- 12 Lrg Game bags, Havalon w/ extra blades, Para Cord, Trash Bags, drop plastic
*Water Bottle for Mixed Drinks
Hydration Bladder
Jet Boil- w/ Fuel Canister
1- days snacks
Spoon
*Medical Kit- Pill Bottle (variety pack), Surgical Super Glue, Leuko Tape, and Iodine Tablets
Toilet Paper, Spade
Head Lamp
*Trekking Poles
*Sat Phone & Spot Tracker
GPS
Fire Starter Kit- Wet Start Steel
Leatherman
Phone w/ battery charger
Electrical Tape wrapped on trekking poles
*Tarp + 4 stakes? (meat tent?)
Iodine tabs

Base Camp-
Kifaru Sawtooth
Tyvec ground spot
stakes
Stove
EE 0° quilt
Bivy bag
Cot
Camp Chair
Camp shoes
*Camp table
Book
*Collapsible Saw (for ribs)
4L Water Storage Bag
Wipes
Soap Bar
Camp towel
Deodorant
Toothbrush and Paste
Spare Batteries (AA, AAA)
Tenacious Tape
*Seam Grip
*Inline Water Filter
1xFuel Canisters
*Bug Dope & Headnet
550 on pack frame
Salt & Citric Acid
*Bear fence?

*Raft, Pump, Paddle, Life Jacket
*Fishing pole
*Assorted tackle
*Floating/soft gun case?

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
I live up there half the year.
It’s not unheard of to get snow for a day or two in August, but mostly it’s warm by Arctic standards. Great windbreaker/rain gear and a backpack bear fence.
From my experience Arctic grizzly can be a bit more aggressive when it comes to food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmrfish

WKR
So, I've slowly been tweaking my packing list as this will be my first fly in hunt (backpacking and car camping mostly). I've gleaned a bunch from other hunts on here and elsewhere. If anyone see's anything that isn't there and should be and vice versa please let me know, this is still a working draft. I'm stuck at work overseas and no idea when I'll be getting home so doing an actual bag drag is going to be awhile. (I'm skipping posting a food plan for now).

I am going in solo in I believe a 206 so I don't think I'll be on much of a weight restriction and going to limit myself to 2 'bou if I get lucky.

Clothing- (wearing in Pants, waiters, wading boots, socks, boxers, base layer shirt, puffy, ball cap)
2- Socks
1-Base Layer t-Shirt,
2-Boxer Brief
1-Thermal Pant
1-Med weight shirt
1-Heavy weight shirt
KUIU Zip-off Insulated Pant
KUIU Chugach rain jacket/pant
*Boot
Gaiters
Lightweight gloves (flight)
Fingerless Wool Gloves/Mittens
Neck/face Gaiter
Windproof Beanie
Polarized Glasses

Daily Pack and Equipment- Kuiu pack
Rifle- 300 WSM 20x Bullets
Range Finder
Vortex Binos in Bino Harness - Wind Indicator & lighter w/fire starter, Lens cloth
Tripod
*Spotter (mini or full size?)
PhoneSkope
Kill Kit- 12 Lrg Game bags, Havalon w/ extra blades, Para Cord, Trash Bags, drop plastic
*Water Bottle for Mixed Drinks
Hydration Bladder
Jet Boil- w/ Fuel Canister
1- days snacks
Spoon
*Medical Kit- Pill Bottle (variety pack), Surgical Super Glue, Leuko Tape, and Iodine Tablets
Toilet Paper, Spade
Head Lamp
*Trekking Poles
*Sat Phone & Spot Tracker
GPS
Fire Starter Kit- Wet Start Steel
Leatherman
Phone w/ battery charger
Electrical Tape wrapped on trekking poles
*Tarp + 4 stakes? (meat tent?)
Iodine tabs

Base Camp-
Kifaru Sawtooth
Tyvec ground spot
stakes
Stove
EE 0° quilt
Bivy bag
Cot
Camp Chair
Camp shoes
*Camp table
Book
*Collapsible Saw (for ribs)
4L Water Storage Bag
Wipes
Soap Bar
Camp towel
Deodorant
Toothbrush and Paste
Spare Batteries (AA, AAA)
Tenacious Tape
*Seam Grip
*Inline Water Filter
1xFuel Canisters
*Bug Dope & Headnet
550 on pack frame
Salt & Citric Acid
*Bear fence?

*Raft, Pump, Paddle, Life Jacket
*Fishing pole
*Assorted tackle
*Floating/soft gun case?

2 headlamps
Is that all in the first aid kit or is there more?
Repair kit for raft
Thermocell
More socks
Extra food
Cup
Dry bags
Rafting gloves
I’d ditch the extra boots and take sealskin socks to use with wader boots
I like crocs for camp shoes
Video camera
I’d add a large pocket knife - guess the leather man knife could work in a pinch

I like the raft if you have room. Much funner to raft across a lake than to pack a caribou on that damn tundra
c5ea7b208d773570927ddf1f89918a0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BillB

FNG
Merc:
We hunted with BRA last year and had an awesome time. I was scheduled to go with them solo this year but a late season ski accident and subsequent reconstructive surgery forced me to cancel. A few observations:

We found that muck type boots were the best fit for the type of terrain we encountered . Coupled with lightweight wiggle or neos for any stream crossing and we were covered.
I would defiantly bring a "Wyoming type" saw for butchering and taking the antlers off the bou
Soft case a must for little plane
BRA had fuel last year but check with them-
Some kind of tarp for your kill kit to lay the meat on as you work- I would also bring a "stiffer" knife along with the havalon- the havalon is awesome for skinning but I find a knife with a traditional blade is helpful when breaking down a critter the size of a Caribou

Be prepared to get "stuck" with the weather. Last year we finished up and had to wait 4 days for a pickup due to the weather.

New to Rokslide but a longtime lurker- just thought I'd share what I could- look forward to hear how you make out- God willing I'll be up there again next year.

Bill