Caribou 2019

Gobbler36

WKR
Hey guys,

A buddy and I are comitted to a caribou hunt in 2019 we will both be flying out of Boise, ID and we are trying to figure out which areas to look at for doing a fly in in hunt we will be basing kind of at a friends cabin in Wasilla, AK. Thinking of getting a bush pilot out of Kotzebue or delta junction. Thoughts? have had recommendationsfor Jim Cummings and sons. Thoughts? Would also like thoughts on a Brooks Range hunt? Who to fly with etc.? obviously we are in the early stages of planning and budgeting.
Thanks in advance.

VernAK

WKR
You've mentioned Golden Eagle Outfitters, a very good option for a flight service. Flying out of Delta, you would be hunting the 40 Mile Herd; a very good option at this time.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
You've mentioned Golden Eagle Outfitters, a very good option for a flight service. Flying out of Delta, you would be hunting the 40 Mile Herd; a very good option at this time.

Thanks for your response, question regarding most of these flight services, are they flying you in where you tell them or are they flying you in at established camps they have? Do you have any experience with the brooks range?

VernAK

WKR
My experience in the Brooks is outdated as it was 40 years ago.

The key to caribou hunting is to be put into or ahead of the migration and that can't be determined
much ahead of time.

Most flight services don't have established camps so you will bring your lightweight gear.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
My experience in the Brooks is outdated as it was 40 years ago.

The key to caribou hunting is to be put into or ahead of the migration and that can't be determined
much ahead of time.

Most flight services don't have established camps so you will bring your lightweight gear.
Thanks, what are the best resources in researching hunt areas that you’ve found?

todd h

FNG
i would look at tok air service . he hunts the 40 mile herd numbers are increasing . I hunted with him this fall. always knows where the caribou are you will have a chances at caribou. everyone was tagged out early. pm if you have questions
todd

AKBorn

WKR
I am sure you probably already know this, but just in case - if you stage from Wasilla you can drive to Delta Junction, but would have to fly to Kotzebue from Anchorage. Golden Eagle Outfitters is a great outfit, used to be the son (Jared) ran the operations in Kotzebue, and the father (Jim) used to fly people out of Delta Junction (I have flown with Jim). Have hears rumor that he may not be doing caribou flights out of Delta anymore, you may want to check on that while considering your options.