50# Pack Limit List

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I guess I’m not alone in my thinking that the whole 50# wt. restriction, regardless of how much a person weighs, is a bunch of shit. I’ve only hunted/used air services in that neck of the woods once, but I’ll be hunting there again this fall and again, I’ll be using Mt. Hayes Air. Gary Hall, out of Delta Junction is a one man band flying a super cub. He allows up to 250 lbs. of gear, is cheaper than anybody else, he has been flying in that area for decades, is super safe, and also allows Jet boil type fuel to boot. As long as he is in business, that’s where I’ll be taking my business when I’m hunting that area.

As far as your list goes, I have a pretty extensive list with everything weighed out, down to the oz., so I know exactly what my pack is going to weigh, before it’s even packed. As far as areas that a lot of people can significantly reduce their overall pack weight, I would consider the weight of your pack itself (mine weighs 92.65 oz.). Your complete sleep system, including shelter (with everything that is included in that, ie., stuff sacks, poles, stakes, guidelines, etc.,) bag/quilt, pad, pillow, and in my case a bivy, all in a dry bag (mine weighs 40.7 oz.). Also try and limit your gear to items that can be used for multiple things. Another common issue that people often have is taking way too much in the way of clothing. Aside from my rain gear and a couple pair of socks, I’ll often hunt and sleep in the same clothes for the entire trip, and usually bring very little extra.

My main thing is, I just don’t want to be hauling in a super heavy pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You use a stock stone glacier 5900 right?

I'm not a pilot, but I've been around enough of them to know how they think. Some are cowboys and will take chances flying excess weights. Some won't. All planes have a weight rating, and sometimes the gear load is independent of the passenger weight. A Super Cub is really an ultralight craft and sensitive to tail loading. At the same time almost all bush planes can haul more weight than their FAA rating allows. A pilot caught doing that runs the potential risk of losing his certificate. I once killed a pretty large moose and my pilot came in for pickup with his Cub. He flew out with 100% of the meat and the head all in one load. Try telling me that didn't weigh more than a 200 lb man and his gear, lol.

50 pounds of gear is doable, but it means NO luxuries, no extras and probably some discomfort. I'm usually at 75-100# where I fly and that's plenty spare for the type camp I prefer. I too would pay the extra for enough gear to be safe and comfortable. I don't go out there with a 3-weight fly rod and 2# tippet if you follow. I've experienced the wilder and nastier side of the 40 Mile weather at altitude and my gear probably kept me alive. I spent the best part of 6 days holed up due to an extended hurricane-like storm which ended with a snowstorm. I was solo and it wasn't exactly a cakewalk. Anyway...i may be a slow learner. I just committed to another solo caribou hunt in that region. I plan to get cubbed in and hunt about 8 days, then on into my moose location for 2 weeks of rut hunting.

OP
A
I'm not a pilot, but I've been around enough of them to know how they think. Some are cowboys and will take chances flying excess weights. Some won't. All planes have a weight rating, and sometimes the gear load is independent of the passenger weight. A Super Cub is really an ultralight craft and sensitive to tail loading. At the same time almost all bush planes can haul more weight than their FAA rating allows. A pilot caught doing that runs the potential risk of losing his certificate. I once killed a pretty large moose and my pilot came in for pickup with his Cub. He flew out with 100% of the meat and the head all in one load. Try telling me that didn't weigh more than a 200 lb man and his gear, lol.

50 pounds of gear is doable, but it means NO luxuries, no extras and probably some discomfort. I'm usually at 75-100# where I fly and that's plenty spare for the type camp I prefer. I too would pay the extra for enough gear to be safe and comfortable. I don't go out there with a 3-weight fly rod and 2# tippet if you follow. I've experienced the wilder and nastier side of the 40 Mile weather at altitude and my gear probably kept me alive. I spent the best part of 6 days holed up due to an extended hurricane-like storm which ended with a snowstorm. I was solo and it wasn't exactly a cakewalk. Anyway...i may be a slow learner. I just committed to another solo caribou hunt in that region. I plan to get cubbed in and hunt about 8 days, then on into my moose location for 2 weeks of rut hunting.

Thanks for the input. Your experience is kind of what I'm envisioning. My dad and I have never done a trip up to AK, we do base camp elk hunts, and I've been in solo for archery, so either time you have the option of getting out fairly quick. Kind of just running all the "what if" scenarios and wanting to be prepared for anything; just don't see that happening with 50#; for us at least. Was really trying to cause I didn't want to spend the extra money on a drop, but I guess when you're spending 4k+....who cares right haha.

Tod osier

WKR
Thanks for the input. Your experience is kind of what I'm envisioning. My dad and I have never done a trip up to AK, we do base camp elk hunts, and I've been in solo for archery, so either time you have the option of getting out fairly quick. Kind of just running all the "what if" scenarios and wanting to be prepared for anything; just don't see that happening with 50#; for us at least. Was really trying to cause I didn't want to spend the extra money on a drop, but I guess when you're spending 4k+....who cares right haha.

I have not flown in like a lot of the AK guys have, but I have done it a couple times and I'm doing it again in August this year. Dealing with the pilots adds a layer of complexity to the whole thing and the best advice I've heard is to just go with it and what they say. The person and a 50# pound pack thing, I've never really understood (I see good reasoning presented here, but I'm not 100% on board). What it comes down to is you had to calculate 3 flights in with you and your dad and many more out with animals - it just adds to the unknowns and makes comparisons more difficult. One trip I did, we needed 2 flights in, so we painstakingly calculated everything before the trip (buying new lighter stuff, leaving gear behind, etc...) and weighed everything on the strip. First flight 75% of our weight went in the plane and we could have brought several hundred pounds more (it would have been nice to know we could have taken 25 pounds of fresh fruit and veggies).

Flight services seem to all want to sell their services different AND they sell their services different to different customers (hunters vs commercial, repeat vs new) - you just need to accept it and go with it, which is tough for me. This adds complexity to figuring the whole thing out. One service says X$ to get 2 guys in and out of this drainage with meat - what does that really mean compared to the plane carried X$ per trip in and out and the cost per flight time is this... In the end either deal may come in ahead depending on what you kill. I suppose if it was easier or cheaper more people would want to do it.

cnelk

WKR
If you're going to AK to hunt from the lower 48, thats not the time to pinch pennies.
A few hundred more isnt much in the grand scheme of things.

When you make up your AK hunt budget, Id add $1000. At least

Tod osier

WKR
If you're going to AK to hunt from the lower 48, thats not the time to pinch pennies.
A few hundred more isnt much in the grand scheme of things.

When you make up your AK hunt budget, Id add $1000. At least

In the case I think we are talking about the extra flight is $900, so pretty close to burning your 1K extra in one pop. A lot goes into the decision, not only the price from a to b, but also the quality of the flight service and the additional services they provide (if any). Knowing what you are going to get is key, which means you have to understanding how the pricing translates to what services you need. In this case it extra flight may be kinda a surprise, so that wasn't in the original decision. Seems like he is all good, so we can wait for photos!

I factor in that I am going with a partner, so that $900 is split two ways and I can live with 450$ for a bomber tent, plenty of gear and some good food. I'd assume he too is going with a partner.

cnelk

WKR
Just for the sh!ts of it, check into what an Otter flight will cost you... :) everything in one trip, but you need a long landing area

OP
A
Last couple posts - all correct. It will be a father/son trip and it won't be until 2020. So I have plenty of time to save up the extra $450 for the gear drop as well as an extra 1k to pad the budget. Sorry photos can't come sooner than that, but hopefully I'll have some good ones for you guys when the time comes!

And just because I've done it more than once...here's something you can ask your pilot about:

Ask him if he would be able to drop off any of your gear when flying in on a previous trip. He's probably going to be in there with other hunters or maybe just to check out his strip. If the timing is right and he's willing, you can ship a plastic tote or 2 up and he would take them in before you arrive. It's probably a slightly long shot, but an easy way to get an extra 20 pounds apiece. DON'T do it if your tote will sit more than a few days in a risky bear area. Don't send in food obviously.

$450 apiece isn't exactly chump change, but it's worth it if you can have a rather comfortable camp, better bed, stand-up tent, small chair and extra food.

I've got 8 hours of flight time on a beaver on deposit for Aug, so I'm pretty good on flight costs this year. :).

Ouch! Hope you have a buddy, or three, to split that bill with. I have no idea where you’re flying, but that would cost a small fortune if you were doing it in the Brooks.

I guess I’m not alone in my thinking that the whole 50# wt. restriction, regardless of how much a person weighs, is a bunch of shit. I’ve only hunted/used air services in that neck of the woods once, but I’ll be hunting there again this fall and again, I’ll be using Mt. Hayes Air. Gary Hall, out of Delta Junction is a one man band flying a super cub. He allows up to 250 lbs. of gear, is cheaper than anybody else, he has been flying in that area for decades, is super safe, and also allows Jet boil type fuel to boot. As long as he is in business, that’s where I’ll be taking my business when I’m hunting that area.

As far as your list goes, I have a pretty extensive list with everything weighed out, down to the oz., so I know exactly what my pack is going to weigh, before it’s even packed. As far as areas that a lot of people can significantly reduce their overall pack weight, I would consider the weight of your pack itself (mine weighs 92.65 oz.). Your complete sleep system, including shelter (with everything that is included in that, ie., stuff sacks, poles, stakes, guidelines, etc.,) bag/quilt, pad, pillow, and in my case a bivy, all in a dry bag (mine weighs 40.7 oz.). Also try and limit your gear to items that can be used for multiple things. Another common issue that people often have is taking way too much in the way of clothing. Aside from my rain gear and a couple pair of socks, I’ll often hunt and sleep in the same clothes for the entire trip, and usually bring very little extra.

My main thing is, I just don’t want to be hauling in a super heavy pack.

Dude you just squarely smacked the nail with a sledge.

The lightest items are the ones you don't bring

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
There's a lot of really good information already listed, so what I'll add is have your pack together for 50#. Throw about another 10# of luxury/extra food or clothes into a separate bag. Show up with all your shit and your pilot will spend 5 min's helping you sort that 10# bag out, if there's too much then throw the rest in your truck or hanger. For example you can sit on a tarp folded up so that you have a way to keep your meat dry or maybe gear that you don't want in your tent... I did 8 days this past fall in the Talkeetna mountains. If you want you can PM me your number and we can discuss all of your gear in-depth, I've used everything you listed. A caribou hunt where your most likely camping close to your drop off point I'd bring as much as I could for comfort, a sheep hunt I'll be packing just enough to survive....

mmcneil

FNG
We flew with 40 mile last year and made the 50 pound limit pretty easily. Sent you a pm, don’t know how to post a pdf of my gear list. Might be a little tougher with only 2 people going, not as easy to share weigh of some items that you only need one of.

VernAK

WKR
I've seen overweight hunters show up a for a flight and get turned away because of their weight......without gear.
Would've needed a shoe horn to get him in the back seat.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Agreed, the 50# limit is a money making scam...just like the commercial airlines. A bit of it has to do with strip length but a Piper Super Cub is an amazing aircraft and can take off with just about whatever you can stuff in it. I had one trip where we took two loads on the way out of a tiny strip into a larger airstrip, then stuffed it all in for the ride back to the hangar. WAY cheaper than two out loads all the way back to the hangar.

Thank God for the independent bush pilot. That’s pure Americana.

Maverick940

Banned
A bit of it has to do with strip length but a Piper Super Cub is an amazing aircraft and can take off with just about whatever you can stuff in it. I had one trip where we took two loads on the way out of a tiny strip into a larger airstrip, then stuffed it all in for the ride back to the hangar.

Altitude (elevation), temperature, dew point, relative humidity and strip length are all (in combination) one of the reasons why there's weight limits. One of the other reasons, and it's probably the primary reason, is how often do you want to do unnecessary maintenance and unnecessarily replace expensive parts because you beat the hell out of your plane by repeatedly loading it to maximum capacity and then landing it on short, rough patches of ground. From a pilot's perspective, flying is damn expensive, especially commercial flying.