50# Pack Limit List

Does anyone have their gear list that I could look over that meets the 50# limit that most air services require?

Planning a hunt in 2020 (awhile away, I know, but I'm excited and putting a list/weight of my gear together). I plan on wearing most, if not all of my clothing - which I was told was alright as long as you can get up into the plane as well as shoving some items into my pockets, but I still have about 10 items to weigh and im at about 49# (with 1.5# food/day for 8 days of hunting + 1 extra day). So it looks like I am going to have to make some cuts. Having someones list that actually made the weight would be very helpful.

Specifically, can you call out what you maybe brought and didn't use/need at all?

The plan is to hunt the 40 mile herd sometime in early/mid September.

Thanks guys.

BRWNBR

WKR
I have never been a fan of this 50lb deal. A guy that weights 170lbs can have 50lbs of gear. So can a guy that weighs 250lb. I wish they’d just give you a overal plane weight you can bring. Super cub guys are the only ones that do it with the gear being the weight limit. Annoying.

I don’t have a list for you. But just plan like your doing a Sheep hunt. Skimp where you can and plan light weight and small.

OP
A
I have never been a fan of this 50lb deal. A guy that weights 170lbs can have 50lbs of gear. So can a guy that weighs 250lb. I wish they’d just give you a overal plane weight you can bring. Super cub guys are the only ones that do it with the gear being the weight limit. Annoying.

I don’t have a list for you. But just plan like your doing a Sheep hunt. Skimp where you can and plan light weight and small.

Annoying to say the least - but it is eye opening, and really making me think critically of what gear to take. Never been sheep hunting either; but I get the idea of wanting to stay as light as possible for a sheep hunt. Guess I'm still thinking in the mentality of wanting to be over prepared. Never been to AK, and never have done a hunt like this. Don't want to be caught with my d*#k in my hands.

Really had me thinking that they put that 50# limit so you had to buy the gear drop and pay an extra 800-1000 bucks; as most guys probably can't make the weight....

Thanks coop - I'll give it a list.

Trial153

WKR
We are dealing with this as well in the same area. Our solution is to foot the bill for another separate gear flight in for our group. Even with that it’s going to right for weight.

Tod osier

WKR
People do it all the time, but I wouldn't try. I'd pay for a gear flight. So nice not to have to worry.

I've got a gear list going for next August, I'm trying to keep at 1000# of non consumables for 2 adults, kid and dog. :).

Last edited:
The bag weight limit is a center of gravity issue usually because of where the bag needs to be packed in the bird. The weight of the hunter isn't too much of an issue because you will sit right under the wings. Wear as much as you can. Including outer layers, rain gear, gloves, hats, and binos on your neck. Place all batteries, shells, cliff bars, trail mix, gps, sat phone, head lamps, or anything else that is heavy and small in your pockets. Set your spotter or even your tent on your lap if he lets you. Gun and bear spray will likely go on the wing.

That should gain you an extra 10-15 pounds at least. Plenty of weight considering a lot of sheep hunters pull off 10 day trips with 50 pounds having all that stuff including the gun on/in their pack. Your extra 10-15 pounds will get you a nicer tent instead of a miserable sheep set up those guys deal with.

Talk to your pilot if all that is acceptable but I've made numerous flights for work and play and that method has never been an issue. If you get a bumpy day in the air, you will be happy to have a bush pilot that cares about weight limits and safety.

I guess I’m not alone in my thinking that the whole 50# wt. restriction, regardless of how much a person weighs, is a bunch of shit. I’ve only hunted/used air services in that neck of the woods once, but I’ll be hunting there again this fall and again, I’ll be using Mt. Hayes Air. Gary Hall, out of Delta Junction is a one man band flying a super cub. He allows up to 250 lbs. of gear, is cheaper than anybody else, he has been flying in that area for decades, is super safe, and also allows Jet boil type fuel to boot. As long as he is in business, that’s where I’ll be taking my business when I’m hunting that area.

As far as your list goes, I have a pretty extensive list with everything weighed out, down to the oz., so I know exactly what my pack is going to weigh, before it’s even packed. As far as areas that a lot of people can significantly reduce their overall pack weight, I would consider the weight of your pack itself (mine weighs 92.65 oz.). Your complete sleep system, including shelter (with everything that is included in that, ie., stuff sacks, poles, stakes, guidelines, etc.,) bag/quilt, pad, pillow, and in my case a bivy, all in a dry bag (mine weighs 40.7 oz.). Also try and limit your gear to items that can be used for multiple things. Another common issue that people often have is taking way too much in the way of clothing. Aside from my rain gear and a couple pair of socks, I’ll often hunt and sleep in the same clothes for the entire trip, and usually bring very little extra.

My main thing is, I just don’t want to be hauling in a super heavy pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ll be using Mt. Hayes Air. Gary Hall, out of Delta Junction is a one man band flying a super cub.

Good info. I've never hunting in that area because of how much everyone else charges but I'm gonna give him a call. It will really come in handy when i draw TMA in 2019......

BRWNBR

WKR
Side note. I flew with a guide once who flies his sheep camps in in one cub load. Guide/client/both packs/tub of camp gear. One flight

OP
A
As far as your list goes, I have a pretty extensive list with everything weighed out, down to the oz., so I know exactly what my pack is going to weigh, before it’s even packed. As far as areas that a lot of people can significantly reduce their overall pack weight, I would consider the weight of your pack itself (mine weighs 92.65 oz.). Your complete sleep system, including shelter (with everything that is included in that, ie., stuff sacks, poles, stakes, guidelines, etc.,) bag/quilt, pad, pillow, and in my case a bivy, all in a dry bag (mine weighs 40.7 oz.). Also try and limit your gear to items that can be used for multiple things. Another common issue that people often have is taking way too much in the way of clothing. Aside from my rain gear and a couple pair of socks, I’ll often hunt and sleep in the same clothes for the entire trip, and usually bring very little extra.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pack alone weighs about 2# more than your setup (running the kifaru Reckoning/hunter frame with 2 small pockets/1 medium/water bottle holder and guide lid). But i'm not getting another pack so no compromise there. Guess I could strip the 2 small/1 med pocket.

My sleep system is decently heavier. We were thinking of taking our SO 8 man tipi (split between myself and my dad). And I was considering getting a Borah Gear Bug Bivy cause I read nats/mosquitos could be bad/could not be bad. For clothing I have this...

3 pair socks (1 worn)
2 pair undies (1 worn)
Polypro Heavy Weight Bottoms (worn)
FL Aerowool (worn)
ECWCS Heavy Weight Top (worn)
Belt (worn)
Sitka Timberline Pants (Worn)
Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody (Worn)
FL Uncompahgre (Worn)
Kuiu Yukon Jacket/Pants OR FL SEAK Stormtight jacket/Boundary Pant (Wearing the Jacket)
Camo Gloves (in pocket)
FL Grizzly Gloves (Needed?)
Wool Buff (worn)
Ball Cap (Worn)
Beanie
Gaiters (Worn)
Schnee Absaroka boots (worn)

Comments on clothing?

For those that have hunted in the area - are hip waders needed? Would you go with a knee high Muck boot instead of a non-insulated leather boot?

Side note. I flew with a guide once who flies his sheep camps in in one cub load. Guide/client/both packs/tub of camp gear. One flight

I hear ya. I had a cub flight booked with a guy out of Seward that literally would fly anything as long as it fit. Told me over and over not to worry about weight. Never did fly with him because of weather and we ended up taking a boat out.

Back to the gear, I personally bring a light aluminum hauler on moose and caribou hunts that I won't be hunting further than a mile or so from camp. Comes in at a whopping 4.5 pounds. Pack the gear in few dry bags. I like a dry bag to put my food in away from camp anyways. Also put my sleeping bag, extra pair of wool socks, and stocking hat in a dry bag the minute I leave the tent in case a leak, wind, or bear happens while I'm away and run into an emergency. Then I hopefully have dry stuff if SHTF.

Again, the pilot may let you even carry one of the dry bags on your lap. Worth checking with them anyways.

OP
A
clothing/sleeping bag ill be in a dry bag. I do this regardless of hunt. Something instilled in me from going on boundary water trips. Never know who might tip over a canoe!

The only thing better than packing to 50# for a caribou hunt is packing to 50# for a moose hunt...

I am going to get the extra gear flight. I'd rather be comfortable, with good food and quality sleeping arrangements for the 10 days we will be there.

OP
A
Here is my gear list from 2 years ago. The format is from Brady Miller's gear list he posted on Gohunt, hence the bold Gohunt at the top lol. Feel free to download it and replace my values with yours. If you click on the "Sub Total" of each category it will show you what items I have selected for that categories' weight.
Jared Young's-2016-Backcountry-Hunting-Gear-List-V1_0.xls - Google Drive

Perfect- Thanks! where were you for your hunt? Was the 15 degree bag enough?

young7.3

WKR
No problem. I was hunting Central Idaho the last 2 out of 3 year. September of 2017 was actually in the low 30s high 20s and I stayed warm. Granted, I was sleeping on a thick air mattress for that hunt.
I'm still warm while sleeping on my Klymit pad though. Its a heavy synthetic bag that does well for me.

You can always sleep in your base layers or puffy clothes for more warmth.

mcseal2

WKR
If you PM me your email I can send you my moose gear list for this fall, at least the most current version. I have a 100lb limit so it won't meet your 50lb criteria but might give you some ideas. I bought a postage scale a few years back I've checked against my fishing scale so my gear weights should be accurate.

A few things I learned planning my hunt and on previous ones that might help:
-The 2 serving Mountain House meals I weighed averaged 5.6oz each. I weighed 10 and averaged them out for easier figuring.
-A Tyto knife with spare blades can save some weight on sharpening stuff, although I still like a stronger knife in addition to it
-If I'm only packing a replaceable blade knife I like the Outdoor Edge since it's beefier
-Don't forget Carmex or chapstick. Bleeding lips can ruin the trip
-I personally tried a bunch of rain pants and like the Kuiu Yukons fit the best. They are less baggy and easier to hike in
-I like the FL SEAK jacket the best of those I tried. It's noisy but they all are
-Wiggys waders might be just right for your hunt if you only need them for occasional stream crossings
-Tenacious tape is handy for quick fixes of gear or Wiggys
-The TAGS game bags are the lightest I found, and probably as good as any, tight mesh for bugs

Good luck planning your hunt. After my moose hunt this year Sitka Blacktail and then caribou will likely be my next trips to AK over the next several years.

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
I've done 4 drop camp hunts for Caribou over the years. I discovered that the air taxi services can vary greatly depending on the hunt. I found that using a Beaver with floats allowed me to have a camp that could withstand some of the brutal weather that Alaska can dish out and have supplies for at least 10 days. I once spent 14 days in the bush on a 10 day hunt because weather prevented us from being picked up. Luckily we had Caribou to feast on. Speaking of brutal weather a GOOD tent is a must. Alaska can get very windy and wet plus usually there is 0 firewood.
If you haven't decided on your air taxi shop around. PM me if you want.