Argo in Alaska

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
Google search didnt turn up as much info as I though it would. Looking at the possibility of having access to an Argo in Alaska and considering taking off across the tundra in it to go after caribou. We are rifle hunting so we would plan on the 6+ miles to get off the haul road and hunt from there. Only found a few videos more about moose hunting than anything. Any suggestions. Couple older guys in the group so trying to make it as easy as possible on them to access decent hunting ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
Google search didnt turn up as much info as I though it would. Looking at the possibility of having access to an Argo in Alaska and considering taking off across the tundra in it to go after caribou. We are rifle hunting so we would plan on the 6+ miles to get off the haul road and hunt from there. Only found a few videos more about moose hunting than anything. Any suggestions. Couple older guys in the group so trying to make it as easy as possible on them to access decent hunting ground.

The area above the Yukon that has the 5 mile no gun corridor is also NON motorized. There are a few loop holes that allow locals to use them, but no vehicles can originate from the haul road.

OP
B

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
The area above the Yukon that has the 5 mile no gun corridor is also NON motorized. There are a few loop holes that allow locals to use them, but no vehicles can originate from the haul road.

Thanks for that. That was the other thing I wanted to ask and wasn’t sure of. I was doing some reading of the dept of fish and game website but wasn’t familiar with all of the different area names to know if that would effect us at all.

OP
B

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for that. That was the other thing I wanted to ask and wasn’t sure of. I was doing some reading of the dept of fish and game website but wasn’t familiar with all of the different area names to know if that would effect us at all.

The only thing I found for the units 26 were restrictions on air travel for moose. Nothing else.

Stid2677

WKR
The only thing I found for the units 26 were restrictions on air travel for moose. Nothing else.

Bottom of page 114,,, I live in Fairbanks and hunt up there often.

From the regs......

Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area (DHCMA)
Units 20, 24, 25, and 26 extending five miles from each side of the Dalton Highway, including the driveable surface of the Dalton
Highway, from the Yukon River to the Arctic Ocean, and including the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area. The area within the Prudhoe
Bay Closed Area is closed to the taking of big game; the remainder of the DHCMA is closed to hunting; however, big game, small
game, and fur animals may be taken in the area by bow and arrow only. Small game may also be taken by falconry. Aircraft and
boats may be used to transport hunters, their gear, or parts of game within the DHCMA. A snowmachine may be used to transport
hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of game across the management area from land outside the management area to access
land on the other side of the management area. No motorized vehicle may be used to transport hunters, their hunting gear, or
parts of game, within the DHCMA, EXCEPT licensed highway vehicles may be used on the following designated roads: 1) Dalton
Highway; 2) Bettles Winter Trail during periods when BLM and the City of Bettles announce that the trail is open to winter travel; 3)
Galbraith Lake road from the Dalton Highway to the BLM campground at Galbraith Lake, including the gravel pit access road when
the gate is open; 4) Toolik Lake Road, excluding the driveway to the Toolik Lake Research Facility; 5) The Sagavanirktok River
access road two miles north of Pump Station 2; 6) any constructed roadway or gravel pit within 1/4 mile of the Dalton Highway.
Any hunter traveling on the Dalton Highway must stop at any check station operated by the department within the DHCMA.

OP
B

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
Bottom of page 114,,, I live in Fairbanks and hunt up there often.

From the regs......

Dalton Highway Corridor Management Area (DHCMA)
Units 20, 24, 25, and 26 extending five miles from each side of the Dalton Highway, including the driveable surface of the Dalton
Highway, from the Yukon River to the Arctic Ocean, and including the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area. The area within the Prudhoe
Bay Closed Area is closed to the taking of big game; the remainder of the DHCMA is closed to hunting; however, big game, small
game, and fur animals may be taken in the area by bow and arrow only. Small game may also be taken by falconry. Aircraft and
boats may be used to transport hunters, their gear, or parts of game within the DHCMA. A snowmachine may be used to transport
hunters, their hunting gear, or parts of game across the management area from land outside the management area to access
land on the other side of the management area. No motorized vehicle may be used to transport hunters, their hunting gear, or
parts of game, within the DHCMA, EXCEPT licensed highway vehicles may be used on the following designated roads: 1) Dalton
Highway; 2) Bettles Winter Trail during periods when BLM and the City of Bettles announce that the trail is open to winter travel; 3)
Galbraith Lake road from the Dalton Highway to the BLM campground at Galbraith Lake, including the gravel pit access road when
the gate is open; 4) Toolik Lake Road, excluding the driveway to the Toolik Lake Research Facility; 5) The Sagavanirktok River
access road two miles north of Pump Station 2; 6) any constructed roadway or gravel pit within 1/4 mile of the Dalton Highway.
Any hunter traveling on the Dalton Highway must stop at any check station operated by the department within the DHCMA.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn’t find that. I appreciate it.

Horses an option? I’m not sure of AK regs but if they are legally handicapped (as in Dr. note for a handicapped tag, not paralyzed) there may be some exceptions. A buddy of mine used to lease a property that had an Argo on it, it was always broken though. Not sure how reliable they are for a couple older guys stuck out in Egypt.

VernAK

WKR
Horses an option? I’m not sure of AK regs but if they are legally handicapped (as in Dr. note for a handicapped tag, not paralyzed) there may be some exceptions. A buddy of mine used to lease a property that had an Argo on it, it was always broken though. Not sure how reliable they are for a couple older guys stuck out in Egypt.

Keep in mind.......if your partners are not capable of walking in that far, how will they walk out if you have a breakdown?

GotDraw?

WKR
From what I understand, tundra hiking is no joke. As an old guy, my motto is:

Want to hunt like a young man? Then train like a young man.

Your older guys are probably already training, but if they don't have weekly measurable goals and are not training hard, help them set goals and get in the gym 5 days a week. Also need to find stairs or a hill they can hike up and down with a loaded backpack and 3-4 lb ankle weights to simulate the weight of the boots they'll hunt in so they'll get used to constantly lifting their legs over low ground cover. Training hike time distance should be approx 30-40% of expected daily hiking miles and elevation gains. Don't let them all hung up on "Core strength" training... focus their training for backpack hiking. Leg/glute power and endurance, lower back strength are what matters.

Better to suffer now, then fail later.

As a group, I suggest you have a meeting and agree to a plan of action if one or more of them simply can't do the hunt. The last thing you'll want is not be able to go after animals or be stuck at one location and unable to move camp because someone was ill prepared and strained a knee or is simply not strong enough.

Who is going to haul the meat out? Make sure everyone has a very good radio w/a good whip antenna. I use a Baofeng tripower and high capacity batteries.

Have a great time and post up pics when it's over!

JL